GC and marriage

anonymous12

Registered Users (C)
I am a GC holder here in US. If I want to marry someone back home, what are my option to bring her in this country? Fiancee visa only apply to US citizen marrying non-citizen or it be GC holder as well?

I am a GC holder here in US. If I want to marry someone back home, what are my option to bring her in this country? Fiancee visa only apply to US citizen marrying non-citizen or it be GC holder as well?

To make the answer short. The most practical, straightforward way is to become citizen after which you can bring spouse to US. Other complicated ways wih no much success rates also could work waiting for other's input with experience in that field

Once you marry someone in your home country you will get to know the real definition of your home in the US and you will love it. Basically you will find your spouse cannot visit even on B visa and if the country is on VWP - she should avoild coming to visit because INS in your new home can put handcuffs on your spouse and ship her back because of possible immigrant intent.

You cannot get F-1 for the same reason as above.

And you can try with H1B or L1. Well - H1Bs are limited. And your spouse needs to have all the qulaifications etc. But there is a nice catch - she should not come here for the interview because that would require a B visa. This is really nice.

When I had this issue - I got my spouse an H1B. But that is just the beginning of the road. The US consulate - which is your new home whatever consulate - well the officer alleged that I am circumventing the law with H1B because the primary reason is that my spouse wants to live with me and she will be willing to work, do whatever to be with me. And there is no special visa for this. So if you get this kind of nice stuff from your new home country - the best way is to hire a lawyer and a good one.

The nice officer was so nice that he offered that in the event of rejection of the visa - he will not put in any stamp. That's really nice of him!

My lawyer explained that he will file a complaint with Dept of State if the law is not followed. Further he said that the applicant actually wants the rejection stamp in the passport because this is her right and she wants to fully take advantage of this - as this will be clear evidence that visa was rejected. And he said that the issue whether my spouse wants to be with me is irrelevant for H1B visa and he trusts that the US consular officer understands this.

The visa got issued by the new home country, the officer was mad though with all the letters with threats from the lawyer but what can you do - you have to follow the law. So no compalint with Dept of State was filed. Still that taste in your mouth lingers on..... hehehe.

Anyways - welcome to the bandwagon man. It will be a nice ride. You will get to appreciate how US consulates, INS works, how the law works and this will get you to appreciate your home country more. And if you divorce your spouse because you will not be able to see her - then all the better - you will have the new home country and no spouse. You should be grateful they did not deport you so far - so please be humble and grateful etc. \

Oh - some people will give you advice to just go and live with your spouse. This is great advice. Once you will loose your GC - you will again be grateful. You have such great options - wow!

=============================
I am not a lawyer and this maybe unreliable advice.

I understand that this is a basic human right to marry who ever you want (for sure if he/she agree) from where ever you like. But, I am just wondering why a lot of people who centered their life in US want to marry from their country of origin. Is this an issue of trust, no enough spouses in US from the country of origin, the life stile here make people unsuitable ………

Freedom of choice, simple as that :)
My wife is born and bred in the Bronx, can't get more Yankee than that!!!

I am just wondering why a lot of people who centered their life in US want to marry from their country of origin. Is this an issue of trust, no enough spouses in US from the country of origin, the life stile here make people unsuitable ………