Fulbright and J1 waiver, Mission Impossible?

Hi all fulbrighters,

I have just been through the online waiver form and got stuck with " The statement of reason". As i am applying under NORI category, what would be the best the say in the the statement of reason why i am eligible to a recieve a waiver. Appreciate if any of you could give me some clues or send the information directly to linglang75@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Did you read the thread you are posting in?

There are at least two people who talked about their statements, plus, read nikovs threads, he basically listed all key info in his statement.

I am perplexed how little people want to think for themselves. How can someone give you a specific advice about YOUR "statement of reason"?

Sponsor Views

Hi friends,
Is there any way of finding out about the sponsor views? The site says that they have sent for the views but it has been two months and nothing as yet. Can we know where they have sent and who they are waiting for to send the views?

This is getting anxious now..
Lopi65

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Views

Nemu,
I did write to my local Fulbright Commission and the lady who is in charge said that they had no decision on that as the DOS was the sponsor and they decided. I dont want to write to them again as I dont want to irritate them. Is there any other way of finding out? Did you try and track the sponsor views?

Thanks for your response.

Lopi65

in my case it took 21 days for the sponsor to respond. I guess you can try contacting DoS ans asking where they sent the request to so that you can follow up. I do not think there is any harm in trying to call DoS - worst case scenario - you will not get anything useful out of them :) Good luck. I know sponsor views can take some time to get. I was really lucky. Don't give up!

Sponsor Views

Nemu,
Thanks for the good wishes. I think I am very anxious and nervous too.As I dont know what to expect . I try and stay positive though. Is the number to call DOS on the page where we check our status? I will call them next week.

Lopi65

Hi Nemu,

The paperwork has been processed by my embassy. Supposing i recieve the NOS, on what ground would DOS decide to give or deny a waiver? Thanks!

Well, if you had government sponsorship, this is a quote from an old DoS FAQ page:

Applications are denied because the reasons given for requesting the waiver do not outweigh the program and foreign policy considerations of the exchange visitor program. For this reason, "no objection" applications in Fulbright/USAID funded programs are generally denied.

Sponsor Views

It has been almost 3months and nothing from the sponsor views as yet? Tried calling DOS but they dont give very leading replies. Those who got their sponsor views earlier, did you follow up and make enquiries? If so please advise how to go about it. As I am aware of cases where they do not take to enquries too well.

Thanks.
lopi65

Sponsor Views

Hi everyone with similar dilemmas,
Does anyone know how to get an early sponsor view? Its been almost four months in my case and nothing as yet. I dont know what to do. And the DOS does not give very encouraging replies. If someone knows of a way out or has some adivise, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Lopi65

Hi Nemu,

The letters were from my professors. I do not recall how they addressed them - probably "to whom it may concern."

I am also planning to apply for the waiver.You mentioned that you included recommendations from your professors. Can you please tell me what they stated on the letters?

I am not full bright but my funds are provided by USAID.Do you know any case who got waiver sponsored by USAID?

Hope, i will get answer
Thank you in advance

I shared as much info as I felt comfortable in the above posts. My argument was that me staying is continuation of Fulbright goals. It all depends upon the specifics of your program goals and your accomplishments.

Nemu, I'm new here and was wondering whether you received funding from the US gov't etc. I have a Fulbright and received funding and just wondering how likely it is that'll receive a waiver based on NOS.

Not Favorable

Hi ,
I recieved a Not favorable recommendation after almost a five month wait and I am very upset. Are there any other options?
Has any of you Fulbrighters applied for an IGA and recieved a waiver? If so can anyone help with the list of IGA's for academics? What are the options of applying for an O1?
Please respond as this is the last straw for me.

Thanks.
Lopi65

Sorry to hear this. I can understand that this is upsetting.

Not sure about any other options. Were you working on your PhD? Do you have a an employer that would be willing to work on O1?

Worst case scenario - stay 2 years home and continue working in your discipline, come back to the US in two years ...

JI waiver

Nemu,
Thanks for the sympathy. No I have a PHD and I am teaching as a Faculty in the History Department of the University. I am talking to a lawyer who said that O1 is an option. But I still have to get a waiver to apply for Green card. So I am also looking for IGA options.
Did have a IGA support your petition? What is the procedure? It is not very clear from the websites as to how one approaches an IGA if one is not working for them directly.
Let me know if you have any ideas.
Thanks.
Lopi65

I don't have info about IGA, only what I have read on the official website. Maybe your lawyers will be helpful here.

Iga

Nemu,
Thank you. Do you know what are the options for an O1? I mean chances of success? Can one apply for Green Card while on an O1?

Please let me know if you know and want to share.

Lopi65

IGA Waiver

Nemu,
I just had a question: Did you have a government agency support your petition for Waiver? If so which one and how did you go about it?

Also anybody applying for J1 waiver under IGA category, a response of advise will be helpful.

Thank you.
Lopi65