Fulbright and J1 waiver, Mission Impossible?

Hi Nemu,
Thanks very much for your quick response.Very helpful as always.

Lopi65

Last edited by a moderator:
Applied for Waiver 11/11/07

Hi,
I finally managed to send in my waiver application. Is there anything I need to do? Or now all I have to do is pray and wait? I sent an email to my Fulbright commission in India stating my case. I just attached my statement of reason. Do I have to send them any papers etc.?
I am so nervous now.

Yeap, this time will be stressful. But if the result is favorable it will be soon forgotten. Do not forget to come back and share your ending.

Waiver waiting.

Nemu,
Thanks for the reply.I had written to the Fulbright Commission in India but have not recieved a reply from them. Should I send another email? My case status is not yet up? How long does this take? Its been ten days now. I am waiting anxiously and more so because of the Fulbright Tag.

Thanks.
Lopi65

Case status not yet up?

Friends,
I sent my application on the 11/14/07. The Indian embassy sent their NOC on the 11/20/07. But till date, 11/28/07 my case has not yet come up on the "check status site". How long does it normally take for the case to show up? Is there any other way by which I can find out the status of my case?

Another question: I wrote to my Fulbright sponsors both in India and the US informing them of my application. The lady at the CIES informed me that the State department does not ask for their comments. That this is entirely their decision. I am getting confused as well as nervous. Please help with any information on this matter. Will appreciate it greatly.

Lopi65

Do not know about the first question. I think mine was up within a week but that was quite some time ago, no idea how it works right now.

But in regards to sponsor views - DoS definitely asks Fulbright Commissions for the comment. CIES must be different from Commission, take a look at this web
http://exchanges.state.gov/education/fulbright/commiss.htm

Since my country does not have a separate Commission, my sponsor views were performed by the US entity - have no idea where exactly DoS sent my paperwork, but see nikovs posts - he has been able to communicate with the local commission.

Hi lopi 65,

I have the same situation. I submitted my documents recently and exactly in two weeks I saw my file appeared online. It was 16 days ago.

I am worried that my case was online 16 days ago and they did not send a request for a sponsors view yet. Maybe the delay is related to the Thanksgiving?

I agree with Nemu that DOS will ask some US entity for sponsor's view.

Case status!!

Friends, Nemu and Jula 258,
Thanks for your response. Today, I checked and my case has showed up. It was something. Now the wait.

India does have a Fulbright commission. I wrote to my program officer but she did not respond. But I think I have to inform the Executive director.

Thanks again and keeping fingers crossed.

Good luck to you Jula258.

Lopi65

Friends,

My status says that the DOS has sent the request for sponsor views. I wrote to the Program officer who was in charge of my program and she said that the sponsoring agency for Fulbright is the DOS. Any ideas on that?
I am not sure how this goes.

Lopi65

Any news?

Has anyone who has applied for a waiver any good news to share? My status shows sent for sponsor views, but nothing as yet.Its almost two months. Do we have to follow up with the sponsor? If so how? Does anybody have an answer to that?

Hi lopi 65,

I am in the same shoes. The sponsor view was requested two months ago. I am a bit worried as I have heard many stories that often DOS get the sponsor views lost. I think to wait for another two weeks and try to call to the program if I find the right phone #. Maybe someone from the forum could share the phone # with us?

How about you lopi 65, what are you going to do? Please keep me updated. I am not sure if the procedure is the same for us becuase we are probably from different countries. I guess that you are from India. But we both submitted the waiver application at the same time.

Hi Jula258,
I knew you had applied at the same time as you responded in an earlier reply. I am a little anxious. More so as I do not know where to call or whom to contact regarding this matter. I was thinking about the same. But I do not know if it is right to call at this point. If you have any number please let me know. I was also hoping that we could get some advise or help from members of the forum who have gone through the same procedure.

Hi lopi65,

I am wondering if you received a sponsor view. It is more than 2 months by now and I am very anxious...It seems it takes too long....

Thanks

Hi Jula258,
No, I havent recieved the sponsor views as yet. It has been the same time span and I am anxious..but again what can we do? Let me know if you hear anything.

Thanks.

Is it dangerous to apply for waiver before renewing DS-2019 form?

Dear all,
I am one of the Fulbrighters who wants to apply for the waiver soon. I can still be in the US for another year, and I wonder if it is recommended to wait until I get the DS-2019 form for the next year (and visa extension) or if can apply for the waiver now.
Any ideas?

NORI deptt help

Dear All,
I need a small favour. I was a resident of Faridabad, Haryana before moving to USA on a J1visa. I am planning to apply for NORI to be submitted in 3 deptts in India.

1.Government of India, Ministry of External Affairs
2. Ministry of Human Resource Development, (Dept. of Higher Education)
3. Government of Haryana, Home Department.
Do you have any information about Government of Haryana, Home Department ,Faridabad or any help u can give wil be appreciated ..
Rahul spirit0176@yahoo.com

Dear all,
I am one of the Fulbrighters who wants to apply for the waiver soon. I can still be in the US for another year, and I wonder if it is recommended to wait until I get the DS-2019 form for the next year (and visa extension) or if can apply for the waiver now.
Any ideas?

Just recently this issue was discussed in this forum. yes, get an extension first. It has nothing to do with Fulbright, applies to everyone.

Dear All,
I need a small favour. I was a resident of Faridabad, Haryana before moving to USA on a J1visa. I am planning to apply for NORI to be submitted in 3 deptts in India.

1.Government of India, Ministry of External Affairs
2. Ministry of Human Resource Development, (Dept. of Higher Education)
3. Government of Haryana, Home Department.
Do you have any information about Government of Haryana, Home Department ,Faridabad or any help u can give wil be appreciated ..
Rahul spirit0176@yahoo.com

learn where to post

Hi all fulbrighters,

I have a question. If the home country does not contribute any funding to the program, how does home country Fulbright commisioner decide our case of J1 waiver? i am planning to apply for a waiver, but i have not enough confidence if the program sponsor will approve the case. Thank you in advance for your response. Best!