Fulbright and J1 waiver, Mission Impossible?

Not sure about the first question, but yes, you can complete 2 year HRR in parts. Apparently, vacation counts as residing, but you have to be not on the original J1 program. I.e. if you are eligible for an F1, you can go home during summer time and this would count. However, the burden of proof that you had fulfilled 2 year HRR is on you. So keep your tickets/passport, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Nemu for your answer.

I found the answer of my first question. The Argentinean Embassy in Washington DC posted a note stating that non-objection waivers will not be granted to Fulbright scholars.

- As for completing the 2 year HRR in parts, is it also possible under a G-4 visa?

- Do you know if years spent in my second country of nationality also count, and if it is a EU country, would it count to spend those years in any country of the EU ? (this might be too specific to know the answer..)

Thanks a lot again,
Florencia

Yes, your situation is a bit different. So, your Embassy is not even going to issue you non-objection letter? Cause it's not their decision to grant a waiver or not, all you need is a letter of no objection and it's worth trying.

Regarding where you can fulfill the 2Y rule, all I know -- it has to be the country of nationality or last residence. It can not be any country in EU even if your second country of nationality is part of EU. I've asked this question when I was considering my options before getting a waiver.

Read this carefully
http://www.visalaw.com/IMG/212e.pdf

You may need to seek further advice from attorneys. This forum might also be useful for you http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=2

Hi everybody,

I have many questions and hope I will be able to get some opinions.
I was sponsored by USDA 2 years ago, but now I am on the department's money for my PhD. However, I still have J-1 and 2 year HRR. I will graduate next summer. I am looking for ways to get J-1 waiver. I contacted my embassy in D.C. and they said they will do anything they can, so that's good.

I am also getting married to my boyfriend (US citizen) soon. I wanted to ask you if you guys know is it better to apply to "No objection" letter before or after my marriage? I have read that I should not even bring the marriage issue up in the no obj. letter, but I though if I am married it might indirectly help.

My other question is did you all (who got waivers) use lawyers or did those paperwork on yor own?

Any suggestions about how to proceed will be greatly appreaciated.
Also congratulations to all of you who got waivers.

Thanks

Did not use the lawyer, most of them are pretty ignorant of Fulbright waivers.

I was married for 8 years at the time I applied - did not even mention my marriage to USC. I honestly believed it can hurt my case. Read my posts above - you have to make a case which follows this - "the reasons given for requesting the waiver outweigh the program and foreign policy considerations."

There are a couple other threads in this forum that deal with Fulbrighters, read them carefully - marriage + kids does not appear to make a difference. If your country has local Fulbright Commission - they will make a decision so investigate that as well.

Good luck and post your progress.

"I am pleasantly surprised that it took only 3 weeks to get sponsor views"

Hello, my question is who is "sponsor" in case of our Fulbright funding? If all the funding comes from the US and nothing comes from a home country, then is it possible to state that it's up to US State Dept to decide on a waiver? That the home country doesnt really play any role with the exception of giving a No-Objection letter?
Thank you!

It's the Fulbright commission in your home country - I just went through this a few months ago and it took a couple of months for Fulbright US to communicate with them and get a response.

Dear Nemu,
Thanks for the information.I wish to apply for the waiver now and would like some advise on how to go about it.I had come on a Fulbright grant in 2004-5 to a University in texas. At the end of the grant I was offered Visiting Positions in two Universities in Virginia. Now the former University in Texas has offered me a Visiting Position again and would like to hire me for a Tenure track position. This is my fourth year and I would very much like to get a Waiver soon. I have recieved the NORI from India but have not applied as yet as I was not sure how to go about it. Please advise. What documents will I need to apply for the case number. Then What? Will I have to get supporting letters from these University sponsors? Will I need a letter from the Fulbright or the USCIS will ask for that? If so what is my role in that? Please reply as I am very nervous because of the Fulbright. Although the later DS 2019's have skills list on the cause for 212e.
Thanks for your help again. Would be also grateful for anybody elses advise.

Lopi65

Step by step process is described by the Department of State. Here is the link:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1288.html

The direct link to online application is here
https://j1visawaiverrecommendation.state.gov/

Read ALL info in this forum carefully, see what applies to your case.

You do not communicate directly with Fulbright although you may wish to contact your local Fulbright Commission if there is one in your country. You do not need letters from you university, although I included them in my packet. I also included my CV.

Nemu,

Thanks for the quick response. My discipline is South Asian History. What are the chances of getting a waiver on No-objection? What do I write to my Indian Fulbright commission? Any suggestions on the Statement of reason?
Help please. Really appreciate it.
Lopi 65

Thanks, Nemu.
I really appreciate it. My discipline in South Asian History. Will it be possible to get the waiver based on No- Objection? Any suggestions on the statement of reason? What do I write to my local Fulbright commission?

lopi 65

lopi 65,
I really do not have answers to your questions. Read this forum. You will see that there are no specific answers or predictions about the outcome, especially when one had government funding.

There are discussions about "statement of reason" - it will depend on your case. I suppose you will be talking about your job situation. As far as your local Fulbright - you can ask them if they would support your waiver, what documents they would need, is there a history of Fulbrighters from your country getting waivers, etc.

Nemu,
Thanks. Any little information helps. I am just anxious to have all my papers ready so that there arent many loopholes.

need advice

Guys, would really appreciate your advice...my home country Fulbright did not support my idea of a waiver..however, I was also told that there is no actual Fulbright commission in my home country (Russia), that they only represent IIE but in no way there are the Russian organization which sent me to the US. Among the docs that I need to submit to the Russian Embassy for no-objection letter there is a paper from the "Russian organization that sent you to the US that it has no objections of your stay". Do you think it's worth submitting the application without this particular letter (as simply there is no Russian organization) and see whether it works? OR do you think that since Fulbright Moscow refused to support at all it will be a waste of time and money?

Not sure if this is what you are talking about but my Embassy in Washington required the paper from the Ministry of Education in my country to state that they did not sponsor my studies in the US and they do not object to my staying in the US. The Ministry of Education said they it was not their jurisdiction to say they "do not object" but they issued a letter to the Embassy stating that I was not sponsored by my own country to study in the US.

You'd better call the Russian Embassy and tell them that you are a Fulbright. I am sure they are more used to work with J1s who have other sponsors than US government so they have you he standard reply.

Nemu, thanks for your reply. I went to the Russian Embassy when I was in DC. I was given a list of docs necessary to submit in order to receive "No-Objection" letter. One of the docs is the approval from the Fulbright (home country). My Fulbright organization in home country refused to give me such a letter saying that i have to come back for 2 years..I am wondering if i should still try to apply for the no-objection waiver or there is no way since Fulbright didnt support me?

I can only guess. If your embassy would not issue a no-objection letter than you have no basis for no objection.

I know other countries have similar policies - no "no objection" letters for Fulbrighters. Try another basis, perhaps interested govnt. agency?

Letters

Nemu,
You mentioned that you included letters in your packet. Who were the letters from and who were they addressed to? Please let me know as I am getting ready my packet for applying for the Waiver.
How long should the statement of reason be?

Thanks.

Lopi65

The letters were from my professors. I do not recall how they addressed them - probably "to whom it may concern." The important thing is to mail them to a proper address indicating your case number. There is no length requirement for the statement of reason, some people write 2-3 paragraphs, others 20 pages, mine was 2 pages long.