from F1 to J1 - what statement of reason?

hepsi

I am a Ph.D student on F1 visa. My fiancee (civil engineer) wants to join me in the States.
Therefore, I will apply for a visa status change (F1 to J1), so he could work legally in the US.
I am going to apply for J1 visa when I get back to my homecountry for summer holiday. Once I get J1 visa we'll get married and he'll join me.
I want to know what should I say my reason for visa change is. Can I be honest, and just say that my future husband wants to join me and experience job opportunities in the states?
Thank you,

Sebil

No, that does not sound like a good reason. Find out what privileges J1 grants for your job/education and use that as your motivation. Perhaps F1 prevents you from certain internships/research opportunities and J1 would resolve that?

Your future husband is not interesting to INS and my guess is that sort of reason would be grounds for rejection.

I am not an immigration lawyer though...

I am a Ph.D student on F1 visa. My fiancee (civil engineer) wants to join me in the States.
Therefore, I will apply for a visa status change (F1 to J1), so he could work legally in the US.
I am going to apply for J1 visa when I get back to my homecountry for summer holiday. Once I get J1 visa we'll get married and he'll join me.
I want to know what should I say my reason for visa change is. Can I be honest, and just say that my future husband wants to join me and experience job opportunities in the states?
Thank you,

Sebil

You are solving minor problem (husband not working for few years because he is on F2) by big problem (both of you will go through the hassle of J visa for many years, to the extent of going back for 2 years). Unless you plan not to stay in US, which I doubt becase you are looking for a job to your husband on EAD of J2. The market for J2 EAD holder is not that attractive unless he is doing something unique. still if he is that attractive and doing something unique, he can find an employer he can sponsor him H or even GCwhich is relatively easy from F2 compared to J2.