Former US Citizen going back to country of persecution (asylee)

belandria

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I am very confused about this issue. I got my US citizenship about a month ago and I really want to go to my home country. It's has been almost 8 years since I left, I still have fear, but I am human and I would like to see my relatives that I haven't seen in many years, my father for example he just got diagnosed with eye cancer and my grandma is about to die very soon. See the plase where I grew up, etc. I don't want to risk my new status as a citizen in this country, but I only want to go there for visit, just for few days. Now based on your experiences, can you tell me if is any risk of loosing citizenship because of that? I am going to travel with my new US passport but I still need to use my national passport in order to enter my country. Please I need to hear some of your opinions.

Thanks a lot!

Hi all,

I am very confused about this issue. I got my US citizenship about a month ago and I really want to go to my home country. It's has been almost 8 years since I left, I still have fear, but I am human and I would like to see my relatives that I haven't seen in many years, my father for example he just got diagnosed with eye cancer and my grandma is about to die very soon. See the plase where I grew up, etc. I don't want to risk my new status as a citizen in this country, but I only want to go there for visit, just for few days. Now based on your experiences, can you tell me if is any risk of loosing citizenship because of that? I am going to travel with my new US passport but I still need to use my national passport in order to enter my country. Please I need to hear some of your opinions.

Thanks a lot!

The plan and circumstances you describe are not an issue of concern.

If you wish to learn more, read section 340 of the Immigration and Nationality Act available online.

Do not trust the regulations at 8 CFR 340 as they may still need corrections since they were ruled invalid. (It is too easy to find the wrong version of those regulations.)

Hi there,

Actually I do not think it will cause any problems to you. I'm not sure it's a good idea to use an old national passport to enter the country...If I were you, I'd apply for a visa.

Hi there,

Actually I do not think it will cause any problems to you. I'm not sure it's a good idea to use an old national passport to enter the country...If I were you, I'd apply for a visa.

Thanks for your response. The problem is since the US passport states your country of origin, they will ask you about your national passport too and it's not the only reason, it's because it's a law there states you cannot enter to your country without your national passport (not the US). I know is very stupid but my biggest concern is more about reentering the US, which I don't think is a big issue because I am not an asylee anymore.. I am a citizen with all my rights as any other American and free to go anywere...this is what I think.. I would like to hear anyone who has traveld before to the home country and share the experience going and coming back!

If I were you, I'd apply for a visa.

I don't think is a good idea, since you can get a national passport..why you are applying for a visa??? it's gonna be very suspicious for them, and I don't want them to know I was an asyle before because they can deny my entry I think.

I don't think is a good idea, since you can get a national passport..why you are applying for a visa??? it's gonna be very suspicious for them, and I don't want them to know I was an asyle before because they can deny my entry I think.

I'm sorry but it's horseshit. Quit and forget your past citizenship - as you said you are an AMERICAN now. You left the f*&in country, you got your asylum status...quit the old citizenship. You don't need it once you received the approval letter.

If they still care about you and your asylum status - so, anyway you'll get troubles upon returning to the country of origin. And in this case I'd prefer to be only an American rather than a double citizenship's holder. But I guess they don't, so...what's the problem? Be an American from the very beginning - get a visa if the country requires it visa for US citizens.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you still have a fear of persecution, is it because you were targeted explicitly by the government, or is it because of a lifestyle you lead that is not accepted by society there? If you fear the government, definitely do NOT use the passport of that country. Renounce your citizenship and get a visa. If, on the other hand, you are ok to go there as far as the government is concerned, go ahead and use the country's passport. Your US citizenship will be safe for the most part. If something goes wrong, but your original asylum claim was not fraudulent, your citizenship will be safe at that point as well.

Best of luck.

I'm sorry but it's horseshit. Quit and forget your past citizenship - as you said you are an AMERICAN now. You left the f*&in country, you got your asylum status...quit the old citizenship. You don't need it once you received the approval letter.

If they still care about you and your asylum status - so, anyway you'll get troubles upon returning to the country of origin. And in this case I'd prefer to be only an American rather than a double citizenship's holder. But I guess they don't, so...what's the problem? Be an American from the very beginning - get a visa if the country requires it visa for US citizens.

Yes I agree with you. I have my american passport now and proud of it. But all the people who has 2 citizenships (asylees and no asylees, permanet residents and people who obteined citizen trhough marriage still need the passport, it's a rule for everyone) . I still have it, in the case thay want to verify my citizenship but I will go with my American first.

If you still have a fear of persecution, is it because you were targeted explicitly by the government, or is it because of a lifestyle you lead that is not accepted by society there? If you fear the government, definitely do NOT use the passport of that country. Renounce your citizenship and get a visa. If, on the other hand, you are ok to go there as far as the government is concerned, go ahead and use the country's passport. Your US citizenship will be safe for the most part. If something goes wrong, but your original asylum claim was not fraudulent, your citizenship will be safe at that point as well.

Best of luck.

Hi cafeconleche,

When I left the country I was targeted because of my political views. The situation in my country hasn't changed since then but I think they are not looking for me anymore. I am not a public figure or anything like that, I only suffered the consecuences of participating in certain activities against the political view of the goverment. However I am not going there and yell to everyone "Hey I am here", because of course, If they know they probably will do something, but my reasons of going there is more family related. I considerer that I didn't do any crime, I am not an asylee anymore and I am an stronger person now. It's not an easy decision for me, believe me, I am not trying to live there anymore but my roots are still there.

Hi cafeconleche,

When I left the country I was targeted because of my political views. The situation in my country hasn't changed since then but I think they are not looking for me anymore. I am not a public figure or anything like that, I only suffered the consecuences of participating in certain activities against the political view of the goverment. However I am not going there and yell to everyone "Hey I am here", because of course, If they know they probably will do something, but my reasons of going there is more family related. I considerer that I didn't do any crime, I am not an asylee anymore and I am an stronger person now. It's not an easy decision for me, believe me, I am not trying to live there anymore but my roots are still there.

Hey,

Still did not get it...why don't you renounce the old citizenship? Everything you wrote above does not make any seance to me in relation to the old passport. Looks like you trying to keep it because you have some other businesses rather than just family...as you should be absolutely fine with a visa like an American for family visits. Also I did not find any of your notes, did you or not talk to the Consulate about a visa?

Hey,

Still did not get it...why don't you renounce the old citizenship? Everything you wrote above does not make any seance to me in relation to the old passport. Looks like you trying to keep it because you have some other businesses rather than just family...as you should be absolutely fine with a visa like an American for family visits. Also I did not find any of your notes, did you or not talk to the Consulate about a visa?

Maybe you are right, I think I am making this thing more complicated than it should be, I don't want to give up my citizenship yet because I am very confident the political situation can change at any moment from now, and if this happens I will be happy for my country even though I know the situation won't change from one day to another...Americans don't need a visa to enter the country, however since the American passport states on the front page your original nationality they always ask you about your National Passport to enter the country.

I understand your reasons for keeping your citizenship. Still, consider the possibility that your name might be flagged. If they have a computerized system, then you might be hassled. If you enter the country with their passport, the US can do very little to assist you as you will be there NOT as a US citizen, but a citizen of that country. If you've thought about all this, and if you know people in your situation that have not really had issues entering on that passport, then good luck.

I really didn't want to get into this discussion and Im trying to avoid them as much as possibly bcs not always we know WHOLE story, but I just dont understand why would you like to affiliate yourself with a country which you fled from and seek asylum in USA???? when I will get my citizenship that will one and only one that I will keep ...

I'm getting quite sick of these nationalistic rants here. The idea that becoming a US citizen is like a transformation in utopia is going over the top, and it is people like you who really do make Americans look like simpleminded morons. You're right that you do not know the whole story, and knowing this, you should keep your mind open and your opinionated mouth firmly shut, or only partially open. One thing is for certain- the US government wants drones like you, so think about applying for work there.

if you think that way, than give up your US citizenship and more back to your country that you fled from, and we will see how shut your mouth will be.... if you dont like this country try to find another one that will work for you better......

if you think that way, than give up your US citizenship and more back to your country that you fled from, and we will see how shut your mouth will be.... if you dont like this country try to find another one that will work for you better......

Yes sir! I'll do exactly as you say. Because, if I say these things, it has to mean that I don't like this country, right? If I love the US, ANY thoughts and words of dissent are not tolerated, correct?

Think about what you just said, you blithering, narrow-minded idiot.

This is from the Sate dept web page

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

You wont loose you U.S Citizenship by using your national passport. The U.S only ask you to use a U.S passport to reenter the U.S..

I just got back

This is from the Sate dept web page

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

You wont loose you U.S Citizenship by using your national passport. The U.S only ask you to use a U.S passport to reenter the U.S..

I just got back from COP and had no problem coming into the USA. I used both US Passport and COP Passport

Belandria, as far as I understand, you are from Belarus. You cannot even apply for Belarussian visa if you are already a Belorussian citizen. If yes, you have the following options:

1. Use your NP and try to enter Belarus directly;
2. Use your NP and try to enter Russia, then move to Belarus by train, bus or private car with Russian license plates (no border control between Belarus and Russia);
3. Try to get Russian visa to your US passport (but you'll have to lie in the application form, there is a question about your former ex-USSR or Russian citizenship);
4. Renounce your Belarus citizenship and after that apply for visa. It can be complicated, because a) long waiting time b) nobody knows if Belarus authorities will grant you visa after renouncing citizenship. Most of consular officers from ex-USSR are so called "sovoks" and they may think of you as a "traitor to the motherland".

First, try to investigate if you have some criminal or civil charges in absentia in Belarus. If not, try 1 or 2 (if you are really afraid, pefer 2).