• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

For those that like to argue about statistics...

If I were a football referee I would be blowing my bloody whistle!
If I was a football referee, then you would have been removed from the field.
exactly sloner my point if eu 50000 and above than it will hit the current and all the eu cns will get an interview . same for af
because from eu50000 and "above" af 100000 and "above" there is hardly real cases inthere (big huge holes).
so at end all will go current ACCORDING TO YOU
I wrote clear. 50000 - this minimum threshold.

If I was a football referee, then you would have been removed from the field.

I wrote clear. 50000 - this minimum threshold.

LOL! There aren't any Russian referees are there???

OK - so Sloner is saying EU up to CN 50k is certainly safe, possibly higher. That will comfort some people. I don't agree, but I do wish it were true....

LOL! There aren't any Russian referees are there???

OK - so Sloner is saying EU up to CN 50k is certainly safe, possibly higher. That will comfort some people. I don't agree, but I do wish it were true....

I think Slon'man is seriously too optimistic but having said that if AS and OC keep slow paste EU and AF will pick up those numbers.

Someone discussed this the other day. I pointed out that the numbers of entries for some countries was HUGE. Nigeria for instance in 2013 had 2 million entries (including family) out of the global total entries of 12 million. One sixth of all the people participating in the lottery from one country!!! So, the question of whether they cut those countries off is very clear - they do.

Now then I was thinking (like you) that this would mean huge holes but actually someone explained that the draw could be conducted a different way and that would mean that the 6k countries don't create a lot of holes (because at some point in the draw they just stop taking the entries from those countries out of the hat).

Simon, i have found this document from DOS. It discusses the privacy issues around information provided by applicants. It also describes the selection process, about what they call the 'clean' cases. It also says there is a secondary screening ('second quality check') after the cases are registrered and the forms are sent to KCC. Only after this second screening are the valid applications transferred to the Visa Office (VO) and monthly cutoffs determined for the visa bulletin.

Do you see there the possibilty that KCC scrutinizes more than before the winning cases, and do not call some winners for nterviews because they dont pass this secondary check? Would that be one of the reasons they have 'pre-selected' more winners in dv14?

http://foia.state.gov/_docs/PIA/Diversity Visa Information System (DVIS).pdf

Without wanting to hijack the intention and purpose of the thread, but I'd appreciate some input into what you both mentioned regarding the above highlighted points (perhaps I should open a new thread..).

-I assume HOA means home owners association...that is the group of owners of condos in one building or complex, right?

Yes and you pay every month or so

-What about solvency? What are "Future special assessments"?

Due to the crisis some homeowners associations are not solvent because owners did not pay. Special assesment is typical in older buildings where major repairs have yo be shared by owners and the association lacks the funds

-Did you mean "flood zones" rather than "fold zones" ... otherwise I have no idea what that means.

Yeah flood zones

-I guess looking at the renters vs. owners ratio is something natural to do...from past experience in AUS, I can confirm that unfortunately a high proportion of renters in a complex or neighborhood increases the chances for nuisances of all kind.

-What about Chinese drywalls? Are we talking internal plasterboards? Or external, structural material of low quality?

Internal

-Re: School district ... it doesn't really matter for us, at all...unless we want to consider future sale prospects. We don't have kids and will never have any (it was not meant to be). But the school district thing brings me to my last question:

Water view is the key to appreciation

-Is it true that your ongoing costs for owning a property in the US is determined by what county and even what school district it is located in? I am still pretty much a newbie when it comes to these questions...I have only read somewhere that you even pay some taxes to your county and often even your school district, just for living inside those boundaries...apart from state taxes (if applicable) and federal taxes. When we were buying things in FL on our last trip, it was the first time we realized that VAT was different from one shop to another across the road...probably the border between the two areas. The bad thing was that the VAT was not even displayed on the shelf..so you never know the final price until you pay for it at the cashier. It didn't really bother us as we were only there on vacation but if you live there and want to compare deals, it can be pretty annoying.

Yes however hydrogen tax is about 2 percent of assessed value. Your property is assessed yearly by the county. Typically the assesment is lower than market value. You can homestead which will kero your taxes from growing as your home appreciates in value. There are no state taxes in Florida on income. You will get a breakdown on where your property taxes are going school board police fire depot county etc. vat is statewide but different product categories have different vat

I think Slon'man is seriously too optimistic but having said that if AS and OC keep slow paste EU and AF will pick up those numbers.

Yes that is true - I had voiced my hope for that some time ago - although I think that led to me being accused of being biased toward EU (which of course I am), but then Sloner accuses me of being biased toward AF (which of course I am not).

Yes however hydrogen tax is about 2 percent of assessed value. Your property is assessed yearly by the county. Typically the assesment is lower than market value. You can homestead which will kero your taxes from growing as your home appreciates in value. There are no state taxes in Florida on income. You will get a breakdown on where your property taxes are going school board police fire depot county etc. vat is statewide but different product categories have different vat

Property tax amounts vary greatly by state and also the assessed values are sometimes wildly variable. As an example, I have see houses for around $1.5 Million where property tax is only $3000 per year, and others around the same price in the same area paying $17,000 per year. Big difference caused by some older properties having adbantageous assessed values.

This is something I have heard somewhere before ... but it was pointed out as something that speaks against living in California, versus Florida! Is there a chance that what you are stating here refers to California property tax jurisdiction?
I don't understand the logic behind such a vastly different tax amount...but I actually think it would be way fairer to assess based on the SIZE of the property (like it's done in some EU nations)...not the VALUE or AGE!
This way...the stupid situation where cash strapped but asset rich retirees will not have to sell and move on (downsize) by force, as they can no longer afford to pay exorbitant property taxes (that were assessed on the "value" ... which has no meaning to someone, for as long as they still live there and not actually sell and make a profit).

But no point to argue, we are not here to lecture them...lol.

Property tax amounts vary greatly by state and also the assessed values are sometimes wildly variable. As an example, I have see houses for around $1.5 Million where property tax is only $3000 per year, and others around the same price in the same area paying $17,000 per year. Big difference caused by some older properties having adbantageous assessed values.

The variance is primarily due to homesteading rules. Remember that most often the land value is what determines the price. For example land value is 400k bug replacement costs are only 250k. So when you insure you don't use the assessed tax value or market value but simply the smaller replacement cost.

To obtain homestead benefits it has to be your primary residence. So if you buy a property got 600k where the owners have lived 10 years they may pay 4k pa in property taxes but you will be paying more like 8k. If you homestead your taxes will remain around 8k for a long time. So looking at what property taxes someone pays is in no way an indication of what you would pay if you bought the same property.

This is something I have heard somewhere before ... but it was pointed out as something that speaks against living in California, versus Florida! Is there a chance that what you are stating here refers to California property tax jurisdiction?
I don't understand the logic behind such a vastly different tax amount...but I actually think it would be way fairer to assess based on the SIZE of the property (like it's done in some EU nations)...not the VALUE or AGE!
This way...the stupid situation where cash strapped but asset rich retirees will not have to sell and move on (downsize) by force, as they can no longer afford to pay exorbitant property taxes (that were assessed on the "value" ... which has no meaning to someone, for as long as they still live there and not actually sell and make a profit).

But no point to argue, we are not here to lecture them...lol.

Property tax is not depending in age or size it's assessed value. Variations is due to homesteading. In Florida always assumed 2 percent when you buy. Upfront you will pay 2 percent of purchase value next year 2 percent of assessed value with homestead deductions

Thanks Eucn for your input...how do you know all this, you have obviously lived in FL before (or live there currently on some other visa?).

Thanks Eucn for your input...how do you know all this, you have obviously lived in FL before (or live there currently on some other visa?).

Buying and selling a handful of times. I just have the visa waiver status but hoping for eu38xxx

Yes that is true - I had voiced my hope for that some time ago - although I think that led to me being accused of being biased toward EU (which of course I am), but then Sloner accuses me of being biased toward AF (which of course I am not).

Biased for EU in your heart yes, but in your calculation your not :)

Buying and selling a handful of times. I just have the visa waiver status but hoping for eu38xxx

Ah, okay! ~ Yep, you'll get an Aug or Sep interview. We'll get a July or Aug interview (eu35xxx) I think. (so much for adding some value to the Britsimon's thread here, which seems to be a dedicated statistics aficionados thread - lol :D

Ok so what would lead them to make OC move at a slower rate and then give ur visa numbers to another region?

How is it that not all of us could get an interview and they give our visa allocation to another region.

Ok so what would lead them to make OC move at a slower rate and then give ur visa numbers to another region?

How is it that not all of us could get an interview and they give our visa allocation to another region.

Don't ask me. I do not work at KCC. Just pointed out that if they keep OC and AS cut-off paste the other regions in that case AF and EU will get more visas. Assuming that KCC wants to fill the quota and AF and EU keep their cut-off increase rate.

Let's drop the argument I'm having some lekker beers down here in SA its the end of the year
Big cheers for every one specially for my mate simon :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't ask me. I do not work at KCC. Just pointed out that if they keep OC and AS cut-off paste the other regions in that case AF and EU will get more visas. Assuming that KCC wants to fill the quota and AF and EU keep their cut-off increase rate.

Every regions have their own region quota. The only time that one region allows to use other regions quota is when that one region do not have any more selectees which I don't think is going to happen in DV14.