Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
maiden name and married name

My wife had her maiden name in all documents including the one sent to the consulate ? Just to keep it consistent i used her maiden name in all communications ? Any idea,what need to be done to get her married name in the green card ?

2 cents info

aug3012,

My 2 cents advise is,

Dont confuse them at this time by changing the name either in Passport or other documents or in GC.
It may delay the process...

May be you can do that in a relaxed state later after she arrives to usa, as i assume changing the name in GC or passport is a little long process...

May be i am wrong. Discuss this with your lawyer if you could.

bye

Hi aug3012

How long:
As per gathered information, Chennai Consulate is allotting appointments within three months after receiving the OF-169. It means if you are lucky you may get appointment with in a month. If not, I think you may need to wait up to three months.
Spouse name:
I believe you may need to get the correct name in your wife’s passport and in immigrant application. It is based on your wife name is changed officially from the date you married her. If your wife has any documents before marriage, then she needs to keep them as they are. But if she got some documents after marriage, then she needs get the documents with latest name. There are some exceptions, the known exceptions are your wife’s passport must have latest name irrespective of its date of issue, but your wife’s birth certificate must be with maiden name.
Bye the way I am also an applicant like you, hence, there may be other ways to do it, which I don't know. I am still in the process of collecting the evidence documents like bank statements etc.
Good luck to all.
:) :) :) :cool: :cool: :cool:

Total time taken for Follow to join

Hi ,

I have my green card in process and my H1-B has expired now. I am working here on EAD and was wondering how can I get married in india and bring my wife here.

Are there any people here who have got the final green card for there spouse using Follow to Join. How much total time it took for them to get the final Green card for there wife? How much time it usually takes in follow to join process now a days?

Thanks a lot
Hrish

DS 230 not OF 230

hi guys,

my wife's dad said chennai consulate has send DS 230 part 1 and 2 forms and I 134 forms, as it went to her home address.

So i think DS 230 is the latest. dont send OF 230.

Also, i am not sure whether they got OF/DS 169. I have check with wife ?
do u have to send that too along with DS 230 Part 1 ?

let me know

i am sure that PCC and I 134 are all for next interview and not needed to send in mail.

any 2 cents ??

FTJ Documents for Chennai

Dear all,
My 485 application has been approved yesterday and I am getting ready to file FTJ for my wife.

From the earlier posts on this thread, I gathered the list of documents to be sent along with the request letter. Could someone please tell me whether the Chennai consulate requires that the principal applicant send copies of the actual greencard or is the stamp on the passport enough to initiate the process?

Some of you have wondered whether to send the packets 3 and 4 before the Consulate asks for them. Is this a good procedure to send all the forms together at the same time?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: FTJ Documents for Chennai

From the mail i got from Chennai months ago, following documents are needed
Approval Notice (Form I-797)
Entire Passport pages
Green Card (Both sides)
Marriage Certificate
Applicant's Birth Certificate
Local address

But i dont think it will do any harm sedning just 1-551 form, if they accept it you might save few months time. But i think there is no use sending packet 3 before getting case#.

Originally posted by WheresMahGreen
Dear all,
My 485 application has been approved yesterday and I am getting ready to file FTJ for my wife.

From the earlier posts on this thread, I gathered the list of documents to be sent along with the request letter. Could someone please tell me whether the Chennai consulate requires that the principal applicant send copies of the actual greencard or is the stamp on the passport enough to initiate the process?

Some of you have wondered whether to send the packets 3 and 4 before the Consulate asks for them. Is this a good procedure to send all the forms together at the same time?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: DS 230 not OF 230

asrini ,
My wife also got the packet, a covering letter, ds-230 parti , i-134 and of-169. Per the instructions, connect sedn of-169 before collecting all required documents. Not sure how long it will take to get pcc from all different places.

Originally posted by asrini
hi guys,

my wife's dad said chennai consulate has send DS 230 part 1 and 2 forms and I 134 forms, as it went to her home address.

So i think DS 230 is the latest. dont send OF 230.

Also, i am not sure whether they got OF/DS 169. I have check with wife ?
do u have to send that too along with DS 230 Part 1 ?

let me know

i am sure that PCC and I 134 are all for next interview and not needed to send in mail.

any 2 cents ??

Re: Re: DS 230 not OF 230

asrini - DO you think we have to wait till collecting all documents to send of169 to consulate ? What if, just leave the box unchecked and send of169 so that they will schedule interview at an earlier date ? Any thoughts ?

question on notarized copies

Dear all,
Chennai consulate requires that the applicant and beneficiary submit notarized copies of passports. They indicated that they need "ALL" pages in the passport. Could any one here please tell me whether it is required to get the notary stamp on every page or on the first page alone would suffice. The same with the tax return and W2. While I understand the W2's may have to be notarized individually, the tax returns are multi-page documents and how does one go about notarizing the copies?
I ask this because the few notaries I've asked require at least $2 per stamp and it would be ridiculous to spend $100 to get the document copies notarized. Your advice will be appreciated.

Thank you

2 cents

aug3102,

I read somewhere that Consulate gives you ample time before the interview (say around 1 month). So i guess, before that one month , you should be able to collect all the documents most of which you already have. Only thing pending in my case is getting PCC from 3 cities and even if you approach it legally/illegally, my rough guess is it wont take more than 4 weeks to get it.
So I told my wife to "TICK" all of the necessary fields and send OF169 in couple of days.

Leaving the items unchecked may put you in unnecessary problem, if you have ur docs being opened by a tuff officer.

what do u say ?

Re: 2 cents

Only problem is that getting PCC from all places will take sometime. I am not sure if its ok to tick it when you dont have it in your hand. I wrote to consulate regarding it and they just said that PCC is needed only at the time of interview. SO i guess i am going to send OF-169 right away.
Instruction for I-134 states to get a certificate from bank with details such as , total depost and average balance and all. How you planning to get thet ?

Originally posted by asrini
aug3102,

I read somewhere that Consulate gives you ample time before the interview (say around 1 month). So i guess, before that one month , you should be able to collect all the documents most of which you already have. Only thing pending in my case is getting PCC from 3 cities and even if you approach it legally/illegally, my rough guess is it wont take more than 4 weeks to get it.
So I told my wife to "TICK" all of the necessary fields and send OF169 in couple of days.

Leaving the items unchecked may put you in unnecessary problem, if you have ur docs being opened by a tuff officer.

what do u say ?

my experience on I-134

Aug3102:

When I prepared documents for my parents visiting US, I had I134 done. Just go to your bank or credit union and ask them to issue you a bank statement, indicating when the account was opened, the current balance, etc. The bank people know how to do it. I believe every bank has its own fixed format for that type of statement. I don't remember whether they have average balance or not, but for sure date of account openning and current balance. Some banks may charge you a little process fee, most not.

Passport copies

Could anyone please tell me whether one has to notarize every page in the passport or should the Notary write a cover letter to have authenticated all the pages and stampl & sign that cover page?

Response to Passport Copies

WheresMagreen:

I have sent the documents to consulate for my wife with Notary stamp on each and every page b'cos we never know about the offices who looks the document whether he can accept it or not. But not sure its required or not but I would suggest to get it on all the pages. One suggestion, you can accomodate 2 copy(4 pages) of passport on one A4 sheet so that you can reduce Notary stamps a considerable number.

notary

i accept whatever avisn said about notary.

i spend 100$ for notary itself as i didnt want to risk any more time and this process was too slow those days.

immigration letter

aug3102,

I am a DCU member. As soon as i called and told about this letter which has to have blah blah blah , he acknowledged back saying that they know very well about it and called it as "immigration letter" and was ready to either fax or mail to me immediately.

That is it, problem solved.
May be the format might be little different, but content will solve the purpose.

if you are DCU member it is just 2 min work.

asrini and mar_case , thanks for your inputs. I dont know what i would have done without this forum. My wife already sent OF-169. How long you guys think it will take for Chennai to schedule the interview ? I saw a post from a guy from Delhi, he got the whole process done in 4 months and its almost an year for me.

wheresmgreen - I agree with asrini, its better to notorize all pages and it might save you sometime.

Thanks for your response

I have one other question: ( :D)
Have any of you filed a joint tax return for any of the years since you've been married while your spouse was awaiting the FTJ process to complete?
If yes, can you please advise how best to go about this?

Thanks a ton!

Re: Thanks for your response

I never did. I was told that she needs an ssn on taxid to do that.

Originally posted by WheresMahGreen
I have one other question: ( :D)
Have any of you filed a joint tax return for any of the years since you've been married while your spouse was awaiting the FTJ process to complete?
If yes, can you please advise how best to go about this?

Thanks a ton!

Status
Not open for further replies.