Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
FTJ Experts

Need advice from you guys here is the scenario:

Got I-485 approved few days back and planning to do FTJ for spouse. Should I wait to get passport stamped and plastic card before submitting I-824?

Also kindly post info if you have experience with New Delhi Consulate wrt FTJ.

I didn't wait for the stamp or plastic card for apllying I-824. I applied then waited for the receipt and in the mean while got the stamp and other documents. Once I received the receipt I sent all the documents to the consulate.

Srini

Thanks we’ll do the same.

I know many have posted answer to the following question but could you please clarify them again:

1) What documents do we need to submit along with I-824 receipt?
2) How you mailed the papers (USPS/UPS etc.)?
3) Which consulate?
4) Few document need signature from beneficiary (i.e. spouse). How are you taking care of that?

Thanks in Advance.

srini_pvr said:
I didn't wait for the stamp or plastic card for apllying I-824. I applied then waited for the receipt and in the mean while got the stamp and other documents. Once I received the receipt I sent all the documents to the consulate.

Srini

Hi Hope someone can answer

Husband sent I 824 to Texas for son to follow to join and has been approved

Texas sent cable to American embassy in home town on 11th Aug 2004. We were given the impression that we /son does not nedd to do anything but wait to hear from embassy

But reading the above am confused

Do we have to wait to hear from embassy or should son post copy of documents to embassy?

now very confused, please help if you can

Try to call/e-mail the Embassy to request Immigrant Visa for your son based on your I824 approval. They will tell you exactly what to do and what documents are required.
Hope this helps.

usnycus said:
Thanks we’ll do the same.

I know many have posted answer to the following question but could you please clarify them again:

1) What documents do we need to submit along with I-824 receipt?
2) How you mailed the papers (USPS/UPS etc.)?
3) Which consulate?
4) Few document need signature from beneficiary (i.e. spouse). How are you taking care of that?

Thanks in Advance.

For I-824, you do not need spouse signature. We need to send 485 approval notice, I-824 application, copy of my marriage certificate and a covering letter. As you wait for the receipt, type out all the forms that need your wife's signature (DS-230 Part I) and send it to her for signature. Ask her to send notarized copies of passport, birth certificate and marriage certificate. You can prepare the remaining docs. Look on this thread, you will find a lits of documents people sent to the consulate. Once you collect all these and then get your I-824 receipt, write a covering letter and send it to the concerned consulate. My service center for I-824 is California and my consulate in India is Chennai...

susan ward said:
Hi Hope someone can answer

Husband sent I 824 to Texas for son to follow to join and has been approved

Texas sent cable to American embassy in home town on 11th Aug 2004. We were given the impression that we /son does not nedd to do anything but wait to hear from embassy

But reading the above am confused

Do we have to wait to hear from embassy or should son post copy of documents to embassy?

now very confused, please help if you can

My advice is to send an email to the concerned consulate with an attachment of your I-824 approval notice. They will respond to you.

Actually first item was related to papers submitted to consulate after receiving receipt back from USCIS for I-824.

Also, do we need to send marriage certificate when apply for I-824?

I have read somewhere that it’s not required for I-824 and only required when papers are sent to consulate. Please clarify.

srini_pvr said:
For I-824, you do not need spouse signature. We need to send 485 approval notice, I-824 application, copy of my marriage certificate and a covering letter. As you wait for the receipt, type out all the forms that need your wife's signature (DS-230 Part I) and send it to her for signature. Ask her to send notarized copies of passport, birth certificate and marriage certificate. You can prepare the remaining docs. Look on this thread, you will find a lits of documents people sent to the consulate. Once you collect all these and then get your I-824 receipt, write a covering letter and send it to the concerned consulate. My service center for I-824 is California and my consulate in India is Chennai...

usnycus said:
Actually first item was related to papers submitted to consulate after receiving receipt back from USCIS for I-824.

Also, do we need to send marriage certificate when apply for I-824?

I have read somewhere that it’s not required for I-824 and only required when papers are sent to consulate. Please clarify.

Well, they need a proof that you are married before the 485 approval. That makes it very logical that you need a marriage certificate for I-824 approval. If you are married after the approval you can no longer apply I-824. I don't know where you read it but it is given very clearly on the 824 application that you do need to send marriage certificate..

I understand your point but following is listed as evidence on page 3 of I-824.

-- A copy of the original petition or application.
-- A copy of the Form I-797, Notice of Action, for the original petition or application.
-- A copy of the Form N-550, Certificate of Naturalization.

Also, check following link:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/Appproc.htm#Following

srini_pvr said:
Well, they need a proof that you are married before the 485 approval. That makes it very logical that you need a marriage certificate for I-824 approval. If you are married after the approval you can no longer apply I-824. I don't know where you read it but it is given very clearly on the 824 application that you do need to send marriage certificate..

After reading I-824 instruction many times I have concluded that form is to make a request to USCIS to notify consulate/NVC about approved I-485 (primary applicant). USCIS is not going to check or verify FTJ evidence and that will only be checked at consulate during interview.

Also, I-824 form does not contain any section for FTJ spouse. It requires detail only about original petitioner (primary applicant).

If above assumption is correct then why do we need to send marriage certificate along with I-824 form to the USCIS?

Just sending original petition, approval notice and cover letter explaining the reason for the request should be enough. Can anyone put some thoughts on this?

usnycus said:
After reading I-824 instruction many times I have concluded that form is to make a request to USCIS to notify consulate/NVC about approved I-485 (primary applicant). USCIS is not going to check or verify FTJ evidence and that will only be checked at consulate during interview.

Also, I-824 form does not contain any section for FTJ spouse. It requires detail only about original petitioner (primary applicant).

If above assumption is correct then why do we need to send marriage certificate along with I-824 form to the USCIS?

Just sending original petition, approval notice and cover letter explaining the reason for the request should be enough. Can anyone put some thoughts on this?

Dude, the documents what you mentioned is enough. I-824 is merely notification of Change in Visa status so the consulate can take further action as requested by you. If you have a extra copy of your Marriage certificate attach it too, there is nothing to lose. It is not required, you know how INS loves to collect documents.
Meanwhile once you get your I-824 receipt send all the documents to the consulate where you are applying for FTJ. Goodluck and get to work..dont confuse others on here.

I am just trying to find out from user/members if any applied for I-824 without marriage certificate. There will be few in this forum who might not be having marriage certificate handy. If it's not required during I-824, atleast they can start the process and then work on marriage certificate.

I thought I am trying to clear the confusion regarding I-824. Unfortunately you felt other way.

MIke cordozza said:
Dude, the documents what you mentioned is enough. I-824 is merely notification of Change in Visa status so the consulate can take further action as requested by you. If you have a extra copy of your Marriage certificate attach it too, there is nothing to lose. It is not required, you know how INS loves to collect documents.
Meanwhile once you get your I-824 receipt send all the documents to the consulate where you are applying for FTJ. Goodluck and get to work..dont confuse others on here.

Sending request to moderator to mark this thread as "sticky" thread so that it won't page out from the first page.

usnycus said:

The application has no question which asks for the date of marriage. However, it does have info about your spouse (see Part - III, Q # 3)... Just send it and try it.... The documents you send to the consulate are important.. work on that one... Good luck...

Srini

Any Body has info as to how long it takes to get an interview date (packet 4) after you have sent in packet 3 ??

Mike I called the consulate and they still wanted me to send in packet 3... It has DS-2002 and DS-2001 - the check list for docs and notification of readiness for interview... They wanted my wife to send DS-2001 and DS-2002 signed...

Srini

For a person whose GC gets approved but spouse on F1 (marriage happened before 485 approval), and now the GC holder wants to add the spouse, is
I 824 the form to be used?

Whats the time frame for the spouse to get the status change to permanent resident?

I have I140 and I 485 pending and my fiancee (soon to be wife) in on F1. I am in a dilemma as to whether to add her after marriage as my company is not doing good and am afraid that if my I140\I485 gets denied, she will be stuck.

Is it true that if your dependent is on F1 and you add them to AOS, they no longer are in F1 status??? this thread seems to suggest so
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=115661

Thats the reason i am exploring the "follow to join" possiblilty to be on the safest side.

Would really appreciate your responses or if you can tell me a better thread to post it in I will do that.

thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting for packet # 4

Hi Guys,
US Consulate in New Delhi recieved the Packet # 3 documents for my wife on October 7th ,2004 and they created a case number for her on October 11th, 2004.
I had followed the instruction from this forum and sent all the necessary documents required in Packet # 3 along with Financial statements, Copy of Approved I 824, Passport Stamping etc....My wife is still waiting for Packet # 4 and the interview dates. I was hoping she would get a December Interview as we had sent all the necessary documents earlier.
Recently I had written to US Consulate and this was the reply I got from them.
" Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your e-mail regarding the immigrant visa case. We have received this immigrant visa petition from the national visa center (NVC) and we hope to schedule you for an immigrant visa interview in the forth-coming months. As soon as you are scheduled for the interview, you will get the interview letter and a set of forms and the details regarding the documentation at the time of interview.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Consular Section
American Embassy
New Delhi, India "

I'm trying to track the approximate time it takes for the generation of Packet #4 and the Interview for guys who are currently waiting like me.
Please do repond with ur details ur current status of Packet # 4.

Thanks for your time
kewlmarc
AD : 9/15/2004
PS : 9/24/2004
I 824 AD : 9/30/2004
Packet 3 receipt Date by consulate : 10/07/2004
Case # created : 10/11/2004
Interview Date :???
Packet $ Reciept Date : ??

Guess you are right. Many have successfully completed FTJ process with only I-824 receipt. Papers we send to consulate are more important.

srini_pvr said:
The application has no question which asks for the date of marriage. However, it does have info about your spouse (see Part - III, Q # 3)... Just send it and try it.... The documents you send to the consulate are important.. work on that one... Good luck...

Srini

Status
Not open for further replies.