First time using US passport traveling back to Canada.

easybay

Registered Users (C)
What is the protocol? I was told by a friend that when we enter Canada, we show our Canadian passport, and when we return to the US we use our US passport. Is there any reason or some sort of advantage in his reasoning for doing this?
Thanks in advance!

You are REQUIRED to do so, that's all :) US citizens must enter (and leave, but they don't check, do they!) with a US passport, and Canadians with a Canadian one.

Why would we be required to do so? Why wouldn't we just use the US passport?

It depends. But US law requires US citizens to enter US using US passport. SO you have to check out if Canada has any similar law.

Why would we be required to do so? Why wouldn't we just use the US passport?
You really do not see a reason why you would be required to enter your country of citizenship (Canada) with that country passport? You did not ask why you could not enter the USA with the Canadian passport - in essence, is it not the same, just the other way around?

konig - I see your point, I just figured that since we are now American Citizens, we are American Citizens, and that we should travel exclusively on our US passport.

konig - I see your point, I just figured that since we are now American Citizens, we are American Citizens
... that is in the eye of the American government and only inside the USA. For Canada, you are still Canadian citizens and only Canadian citizens.

and that we should travel exclusively on our US passport.
You should exit and enter the USA on US passports. Once you are in a third country, you are free to decide.

If you figured you were only American citizens, how can you hold Canadian passports?

You're a dual citizen, but in the eyes of the US and Canadian governments, you will be treated as a citizen of that country respectively, and when on their territory, you must follow the appropriate procedures as a citizen.

If you figured you were only American citizens, how can you hold Canadian passports?

Ok - this is just silly. As a new American citizen, and since the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship - I don't think it's a stretch to assume that we would use the one passport - our US passport. And how can we hold a Canadian passport - what should we do - burn it? I really didn't think I was asking a dumb question - I just wanted to know that I was doing the right thing, as a new citizen to the US.

Ok - this is just silly. As a new American citizen, and since the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship - I don't think it's a stretch to assume that we would use the one passport - our US passport.
It does not recognise dual citizenship inside the USA. In Canada, the US government would not give you any consular assistance because it would consider you Canadian citizen there. You have to understand that it is not up to the US government to decide whether your prior citizenships remain valid or not - only Canadian government can strip you of Canadian citizenship. Canada does not mind its citizens holding other citizenships.

And how can we hold a Canadian passport - what should we do - burn it? I really didn't think I was asking a dumb question - I just wanted to know that I was doing the right thing, as a new citizen to the US.
From your posts, I get a feeling that Canadian citizenship has little value for you. Instead of assuming things and showing your lack of knowledge in immigration and citizenship matters - both US and Canadian - why don't you just go to a Canadian consulate and renounce your Canadian citizenship in a proper way? As for me, I would certainly not mind adding Canadian citizenship to my list.

From your posts, I get a feeling that Canadian citizenship has little value for you

This is a HUGE assumption on your part. In fact this is the first time using these boards that I felt that the people answering my posts were not being helpful, only mean in their responses.

why don't you just go to a Canadian consulate and renounce your Canadian citizenship in a proper way?

Seriously? Is this comment necessary? If any one in the future would like to respond to my original questions - which are given in a innocent manner, for the purpose of doing the right thing, please feel free to do so.

Didn't intend to be mean about it. I see now that I assumed you knew that you are now a dual citizen. So, you were asking why you would use your Canadian passport to enter Canada when you thought you had lost that citizenship?

But, now you know (and I hope you're thrilled) that you can call both these countries your home and will have to apply for 2 passports from now on (Canadian passports twice as often until they issue 10 year passports from next year).

US citizens may be granted the privilege of entering Canada whenever the officer at the POE decides to grant that privilege.

Canadian citizens have a right to enter Canada whenever they want to.

See the difference? :)

Is there any reason or some sort of advantage in his reasoning for doing this?

See the difference?

Yes - and thank you for your polite response. As to the others (and thanks cafe for your clarification) I find it hard to believe that people use a forum such as this in order to bully other people. Mr/Ms Konig, since you have so much time on your hands to go back and read all my other posts within this forum, from all my posts, you should be able to grasp the fact that I am merely trying my best to get clear and concise answers in order to DO THE RIGHT THING. Instead of reading my posts - maybe go back and read how rude and demeaning you sound in your replies.

Ok - this is just silly. As a new American citizen, and since the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship - I don't think it's a stretch to assume that we would use the one passport - our US passport. And how can we hold a Canadian passport - what should we do - burn it? I really didn't think I was asking a dumb question - I just wanted to know that I was doing the right thing, as a new citizen to the US.

Yes - and thank you for your polite response. As to the others (and thanks cafe for your clarification) I find it hard to believe that people use a forum such as this in order to bully other people. Mr/Ms Konig, since you have so much time on your hands to go back and read all my other posts within this forum, from all my posts, you should be able to grasp the fact that I am merely trying my best to get clear and concise answers in order to DO THE RIGHT THING. Instead of reading my posts - maybe go back and read how rude and demeaning you sound in your replies.

Really, easybay, perhaps Konig was not incredibly polite, but if you were already told on another thread you'd be a dual citizen of Canada and the US, why in the world would you be proposing to burn your Canadian passport? This does make you come off as ... well, to be honest, either stupid or disrespectful of your Canadian citizenship.

Really, easybay, perhaps Konig was not incredibly polite, but if you were already told on another thread you'd be a dual citizen of Canada and the US, why in the world would you be proposing to burn your Canadian passport? This does make you come off as ... well, to be honest, either stupid or disrespectful of your Canadian citizenship.
Thank you. You expressed my feelings in a clear mild-tempered way :) Perhaps, your post would be a good closure to this [unnecessary] topic.

You are REQUIRED to do so, that's all :) US citizens must enter (and leave, but they don't check, do they!) with a US passport, and Canadians with a Canadian one.

Are you sure about the part noted in bold above? The following site merely says that it is recommended that Canadians use a Canadian passport:

Safety and Security--Admissibility

I don't think the situation is entirely symmetric--US citizens must use a passport to enter (and leave) the USA; Canadian citizens have more flexibility if they have dual citizenship. I don't think anything prevents a Canadian citizen with dual citizenship from visiting Canada with the other passport provided the specific trip is consistent with the use of that passport (eg if they are intending to work in Canada, they should show a Canadian passport). (The Canadian government would still reserve the right to deal with them solely as a Canadian citizen if a problem such as a criminal charge arose during their time in Canada, of course.)

When crossing by land it is simplest to just show a US passport when entering the USA and proof of Canadian citizenship (which can be but need not be a passport) when entering Canada.

When entering by air, you also have to show a passport to the airline, and it can cause delays/confusion with the airline if you use different passports on the outbound flight and the return flight. Since IMHO it is clear that the USA has the stricter rules, I would recommend that the US passport be used in all dealings with the airline and airport security in either direction. The Canadian passport (or other proof of Canadian citizenship) should only be shown when you are actually in front of a Canadian customs person after landing on Canadian soil.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really do not see a reason why you would be required to enter your country of citizenship (Canada) with that country passport? You did not ask why you could not enter the USA with the Canadian passport - in essence, is it not the same, just the other way around?

I don't think the situation is exactly the same the other way 'round for two reasons:

1. US law/regulations are, IMHO, a bit more strict. The USA requires that its citizens, including dual citizens, use a US passport to enter/leave. Canada is a bit less strict in only recommending the use of a Canadian passport.

2. The OP is a newly naturalized US citizen so presumably lives in the USA. Thus the use of a Canadian passport to enter the USA would also be inappropriate, in addition to reason (1) above, because the OP isn't seeking to visit the USA. On the other hand if the OP is seeking to visit Canada the use of a US passport makes some sense.