First time travel after receiving GC?

rav_oranges

Registered Users (C)
Hello Guys,

I'm going to be travelling to Europe in December. This will be the first time I will be travelling since getting my GC.

At the moment I have an I94 in my passport from my last trip and a I94 on the bottom of my H1B renewal approval notice.

What do I do with those? Should I keep them, surrender at the airport or just surrender the white I94 last issued at the POE?

Finally when coming back into the US, I assume I'll be going down the US Citizens and Permanent Residence ailse. Apart from my passport and my GC, is there anything else I need? Do I need to carry all of my i485 paperwork, etc? What sort of questions do they ask?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
well thats easy when leaving just make sure you serrender your i-94 in that, you will make your coming back more easier, you have to take the CITZENS/PR lane when entering just make sure you GC shares the same detailes with your passport. Have a nice trip...;)

You are not required to surrender your I-94. You are a permanent resident now and the I-94 does not apply to you anymore. The I-94, H1B renewal notice, 485 paperwork are all souvenirs now.

Your passport and the Permanent Resident card are the only things that are required.

On return, most common question asked: "How long have you been away?"

Still I think, surrender all the I-94 to the travel people is necessary. Otherwise they do not have your record prior to GC.

Just my thought.

As soon as the I-485 was approved for the OP, the I-94s become worthless. However it would be nice to surrender them check-in time. Just a little house cleaning.

Still I think, surrender all the I-94 to the travel people is necessary. Otherwise they do not have your record prior to GC.

As soon as the I-485 was approved for the OP, the I-94s become worthless. However it would be nice to surrender them check-in time. Just a little house cleaning.

Thanks all. From my understanding, what I'll do is make a copy of the i94s for both myself and my wife and surrender them as normal when we leave the US and then use the GC when I come back.

You know how it is the first time you do anything, you get the butterflies in your stomach!

Thanks guys.

I recently traveled and the ticket agent took my I-94 and also swiped my GC.

My take on it is to ensure that they swipe your GC.

Thanks,
T

This evening I just got back from a short trip overseas, the first trip I've taken since getting the GC.

The guy asked me a number of questions ... I incorrectly hoped I wouldn't have to put up with that crap again now that I have the GC. He asked how long I was away, why did I travel, who do I work for. And he asked for my passport. He stamped the passport and wrote "ARC" on the "admitted until" line.

When I was leaving the US, the agent at the check-in counter swiped my GC. I didn't give up my I-94.

The guy asked me a number of questions ... I incorrectly hoped I wouldn't have to put up with that crap again now that I have the GC. He asked how long I was away, why did I travel, who do I work for. And he asked for my passport. He stamped the passport and wrote "ARC" on the "admitted until" line.

Don't feel bad. When I go back to Canada (where I am a citizen), I often get grilled by Canadian Customs much more than I ever get from US custom agents when I come back to the US.

mdh

Travel to Canada on US Green Card

Friends:

I have recently obtained my Green Card. I am an Indian Citizen.

I have Training/Conference in Vancouver,Canada during the first week or December. Now, do I need to obtain a Canadian Visa for my travel to Canada?

My impression is that if I have US Green Card, I good to go but I am getting some conflicting answers. Please let me know your experiences on this.

Thanks,
- Kiran00

I just checked the LUD on my I-485 and I-140 online case status. No change. A few others reported new LUDs after traveling overseas and reentering the US, but it didn't happen for me (at least not yet ... I'll check it again in a day or two).

I think I got most of my questions answered by reading this thread. The only question I have is about the stamp in passport. I already have the GC in hand, do I need some kind of stamp in my passport still?

I think I got most of my questions answered by reading this thread. The only question I have is about the stamp in passport. I already have the GC in hand, do I need some kind of stamp in my passport still?
No. The stamping is for people who have not received the card after waiting for a long time since approval.

I am not planning on carrying my 797(since my GC is approved) but my wife is going for H1 stamping. I plan to give her my 797 since at some point her H4 was dependent on my H1..

Is there any reason why I would need my 797 when I leave the US?

I am not planning on carrying my 797(since my GC is approved) but my wife is going for H1 stamping. I plan to give her my 797 since at some point her H4 was dependent on my H1..

Is there any reason why I would need my 797 when I leave the US?
You mean the 797 from your H1? Of course not.