Fingerprints @ airport - used for N-400 app?

JBMT

I just returned from a business trip abroad last week and was fingerprinted per the new US VISIT guidelines. The Department of Homeland Security is now collecting fingerprints for Green Card holders. My PD is 1/9/09 and my FP were taken on 1/21/09. I have not received a FP letter (Chicago) although others with similar timelines have. Is it possible that my fingerprints just collected at O'Hare will be used for the application? Thanks in advance!

The DHS has collected fingerprints for GC applicants for a very long time now. I'd be surprised if the two were connected.

Hu?

Is that a new thing? I was going in and out with GC and was never required to give my fingerprints.

Hu?

Is that a new thing? I was going in and out with GC and was never required to give my fingerprints.
Yes - it started on January 18th I believe. It is an extension of US-VISIT to permanent residents, though they may need to change the name now since residents aren't visitors. :rolleyes:

They got way to much s*t on their mind.

I need to check on the stock of Seagate etc, if they collect all that stuff, harddisks is the thing to invest in.

Yes, I'd be surprise if the 2 were connected as well. But they are digital prints for FBI search and done by the DHS, so I'm hopeful. I have never had to provide fingerprints upon entering the US in the past. Now all GC holders have to go through the visitors' line instead of US citizen line.

Yes, I'd be surprise if the 2 were connected as well. But they are digital prints for FBI search and done by the DHS, so I'm hopeful. I have never had to provide fingerprints upon entering the US in the past. Now all GC holders have to go through the visitors' line instead of US citizen line.

No, GC holders still go through the US Citizens and Residents line.

With my family (US citizens) I may still go through the US line (I asked the officer), but alone (at least at O'Hare) I was advised that must go through the vistor's line for FP everytime I return to the US. At least that was according to the guy last week . . .

The DHS has collected fingerprints for GC applicants for a very long time now. I'd be surprised if the two were connected.

I don't think that's the case. Do you mean USCIS collecting fingerprints at the time of GC processing? The US-Visit fingerprinting for travelers is something new added a few days ago.

I don't think that's the case. Do you mean USCIS collecting fingerprints at the time of GC processing? The US-Visit fingerprinting for travelers is something new added a few days ago.

Yes, like I said, GC applicants (I-485). USCIS (DHS) has collected biometrics for GC applicants for a while, and it has nothing to do, as far as I can tell, with the US-VISIT program which is another way to capture your biometrics for different reasons.

i have read all of what you guys wrote im confused last time i went out and returned to the states i went through the line where it said citizens and there was another line on the other side it said visitors.. i had a GC at that time but i still went through the citizens line and no one took finger prints but they got pissed off and asked why did you leave the states for 5months dont do it again..

i have read all of what you guys wrote im confused last time i went out and returned to the states i went through the line where it said citizens and there was another line on the other side it said visitors.. i had a GC at that time but i still went through the citizens line and no one took finger prints but they got pissed off and asked why did you leave the states for 5months dont do it again..

The new rule was introduced January 18, 2009. Link here.

The finger print at the airport for visitors used to be just the index finger...

The one at the FP appontment is very meticulous, where they literally rotate every finger of yours to get a full print ....

There is no way that the airport finger print can be associated with the N-400 or 485

asdasd,

Although I agree with you that the fingerprinting at the airport is probably not as meticulous as the one done for USCIS I think they are doing 10 finger scans at the border now, so they have moved beyond the two index fingers. I am sure that because of some expediency issues at the border they might let people in the country with less than 100% fingerprint quality. I don't see much problem with that if only a few years ago everybody was entering without fingerprints. How quickly we become paranoid. Anyway, most of my comment is my opinion, the only thing for sure is that they are changing to 10 finger scans at the border.

Simply put, fingerprints at border are for CBP, fingerprints with application are for USCIS. They are separate departments of DHS and as such have different FP requirements that can't be used interchangeably.