• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Finances (Affidavit Of Support)

Hi

It is always mention about supporting documents for I134 like W2 or 1040 form , howver in the I134 form instruction there is never mention that , bascially a nirmal letter from the employer is enough am i right ?

Hi

It is always mention about supporting documents for I134 like W2 or 1040 form , howver in the I134 form instruction there is never mention that , bascially a nirmal letter from the employer is enough am i right ?

If your sponsor is employed, then a letter from the employer would suffice if it includes all the relevant information. However I would suggest including payslips/W2 also.

Most people are very sceptical of doing anything online as it is fertile ground for scammers - on both sides. If you don't know anyone there, best is to arrange for a hotel room when you arrive and be in contact with rental companies so you can start apartment hunting as soon as you arrive.
Unfortunately applying online for an appartment or a house, is an impossible mission, since you don't have a credit and renting history in the US!
I got to learn that, because I got declined.
The best is to get a friend to apply on his name...

Unfortunately applying online for an appartment or a house, is an impossible mission, since you don't have a credit and renting history in the US!
I got to learn that, because I got declined.
The best is to get a friend to apply on his name...

It's not just the credit history angle, it's the potential scam angle that makes online distance agreements dangerous. Most rental websites I looked at had big bold warnings against signing rental agreements with people you've never met on homes you've never seen....
Anyway there are other ways around it. I've been in touch with a realtor. They can get international credit reports and if you have enough cash in a US account and/or a job it's workable. Of course if you have a kind friend willing to sign a rental agreement in his name that works too.

If you do gave a friend take the lease, make sure you put your name on the lease as that is important when you want to book school places etc.

Also you will have an easier time dealing with small landlords directly, so sites like Craigslist are pretty useful for that.

If you do gave a friend take the lease, make sure you put your name on the lease as that is important when you want to book school places etc.

Also you will have an easier time dealing with small landlords directly, so sites like Craigslist are pretty useful for that.

I know at least of some places, where if your name is on the lease they also want your credit history etc so that may not work...
Agree Craigslist seems easier but I guess it depends on the landlord, some small ones still want a credit record...

Actually Craigslist is the number one site people hoping to rent homes 'sight unseen' should be very wary of. Not saying all Craigslist apartment postings are scams, but I've read too many horror stories about that site to never want to have any business dealings with it.

And it's not just the sight unseen renters that are being scammed, there have been people who got to see and inspect the rental properties prior to signing the bogus rental agreement that still got scammed at the end of the day when it turned out the person/people renting out the properties aren't the owners of the place and they disappear into thin air.

It's very easy for a new immigrant in particular to fall for their scams as the scammers will go as far as saying anything and everything to get you to part with your money for a place you wouldn't get at the end of the day.

Actually Craigslist is the number one site people hoping to rent homes 'sight unseen' should be very wary of. Not saying all Craigslist apartment postings are scams, but I've read too many horror stories about that site to never want to have any business dealings with it.

And it's not just the sight unseen renters that are being scammed, there have been people who got to see and inspect the rental properties prior to signing the bogus rental agreement that still got scammed at the end of the day when it turned out the person/people renting out the properties aren't the owners of the place and they disappear into thin air.

It's very easy for a new immigrant in particular to fall for their scams as the scammers will go as far as saying anything and everything to get you to part with your money for a place you wouldn't get at the end of the day.

I would never rent a home site unseen. However I used Craigslist to line up several houses to view the day after I arrived. I had already qualified the possible deals, i had prepared a credit reference pack and given that to several of the landlords advertising the homes I was looking at. So, by the time I was seeing the houses on the Friday I was pre qualified in a way and I had also checked out some background on the properties and the landlords. All that meant I was able to move
In to the house just days later.

I would never rent a home site unseen. However I used Craigslist to line up several houses to view the day after I arrived. I had already qualified the possible deals, i had prepared a credit reference pack and given that to several of the landlords advertising the homes I was looking at. So, by the time I was seeing the houses on the Friday I was pre qualified in a way and I had also checked out some background on the properties and the landlords. All that meant I was able to move

How do you check out the background on the properties and landlords in advance?

How do you check out the background on the properties and landlords in advance?

Snooping. You have the property address, so you can check publicly available info (sales data, tax records and so on). Then the landlords provides their name, phone number, email address. Searches on that basic data can reveal things. You then look to confirm the home is owned by the person who says they are the owner and confirm the story. I saw 4 or 5 houses on the short list on the Friday (arrived Thursday) - all were qualified to that level at least (although one was a realtor). By the way, realtors are a very mixed bag.

I checked few vehicles on craiglist, there is some obvious scams ...
And yes simon, I indeed put my wife name on the lease too ! But than because she hasn't got any history they rised the deposit price!!!

I checked few vehicles on craiglist, there is some obvious scams ...
And yes simon, I indeed put my wife name on the lease too ! But than because she hasn't got any history they rised the deposit price!!!

Yeah, you can expect to be asked for more deposit - but better that than a higher rent...

You were quite diligent with your home search approach, and I stated in my previous that not all home listings on Craigslist smell fishy, there are still honest listers on the site, but the truth is a large number of new immigrants will possibly not approach things the same way you did. Heck, it's not only new immigrants that are getting scammed on Craigslist on a daily basis, a quick google search will bring up numerous horror stories of what people trying to rent through the site have gone through, links to a few examples below:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sara-gates/craigslist-rental-scam-apartment-sublet_b_4943972.html

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/on/craigslist-rental-scam-reportedly-strikes-again-fleecing-family/

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2012/03/12/renters-beware-fraudsters-still-lurking-on-craigslist/

Craigslist itself realizes that the site is a hot spot for scam artists, it encourages people to always deal 'face to face'
http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

The BBB (Better Bureau of Business) is also tired of reports about people getting scammed through Craigslist and has some interesting write ups warning people about Craigslist and online classified rental postings
http://www.usa.gov/topics/consumer/scams-fraud/family-home-community/rental-fraud.shtml

You were quite diligent with your home search approach, and I stated in my previous that not all home listings on Craigslist smell fishy, there are still honest listers on the site, but the truth is a large number of new immigrants will possibly not approach things the same way you did. Heck, it's not only new immigrants that are getting scammed on Craigslist on a daily basis, a quick google search will bring up numerous horror stories of what people trying to rent through the site have gone through, links to a few examples below:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sara-gates/craigslist-rental-scam-apartment-sublet_b_4943972.html

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/on/craigslist-rental-scam-reportedly-strikes-again-fleecing-family/

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2012/03/12/renters-beware-fraudsters-still-lurking-on-craigslist/

Craigslist itself realizes that the site is a hot spot for scam artists, it encourages people to always deal 'face to face'
http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

The BBB (Better Bureau of Business) is also tired of reports about people getting scammed through Craigslist and has some interesting write ups warning people about Craigslist and online classified rental postings
http://www.usa.gov/topics/consumer/scams-fraud/family-home-community/rental-fraud.shtml

Yeah I agree completely - you have to be wary of course, but with a little common sense and work you can reduce your risk. You have to go in with your eyes open though - http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/22/woman-who-posed-as-realtor-pleads-guilty-to-illega/

Yeah I agree completely - you have to be wary of course, but with a little common sense and work you can reduce your risk. You have to go in with your eyes open though - http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/22/woman-who-posed-as-realtor-pleads-guilty-to-illega/

Yep, and I agree there are con artists everywhere and one should always be wary. I know we've digressed a bit from what this thread originally set out as, but I just felt a need for some clarification with regards to Craigslist. Some gullible person who is not yet in the U.S. may feel it solves the problem of getting an address in the US in order to meet the DS-260 form requirement of a U.S. address. They will see listings that says send/wire the initial deposit and the house/apartment will be put on hold for you only to find out upon arrival they've been scammed thousands of dollars.

I purchased 4-5 cars and sold 2 through craigslist. I consider the site as source of sellers' contact information, nothing more. All the reasonable due diligence has to be done before transacting, including physical inspection of the documents and the goods.

Hi, I wonder if it matters how you'll have money in bank?
Only in USD or in local currency?
Only on one account or on several accounts?
On time deposit or on ordinary simple account?
When money was put on account?
Maybe it would be better if I bring whole year statement (debit/credit) as proof that it's mine?
Does this circumstances make sense?
And also should I bring car owner documents as my assets? or it's not serious?
Thanks

Hi, I wonder if it matters how you'll have money in bank?
Only in USD or in local currency?
Only on one account or on several accounts?
On time deposit or on ordinary simple account?
When money was put on account?
Maybe it would be better if I bring whole year statement (debit/credit) as proof that it's mine?
Does this circumstances make sense?
And also should I bring car owner documents as my assets? or it's not serious?
Thanks

Local currency is normal. Lots of accounts is fine, any type of accounts. You should show it has been there a few months at least. If it were a new deposit (as in a gift from a parent to help with your immigration), then a letter/affidavit from the gift giver is worthwhile.

Other assets proof such as car or real estate are worthwile IF the cash is not sufficent ($10k per adult).

If I'll have all required documents correctly (without sponsor's documents (I-134)) and my financial assets more than 10K and good work experience in IT, can consul say no for visa immediately?
Is there anybody who was rejected immediately only for insufficient finances? without giving period to bring sponsor documents or other assets proof? Can I appeal consul's decision if that happens? Does it make sense to involve attorney in that situation?