filing for sister/brother in law

waitingforins2

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I recently became citizen.

Just considering a situation:
What if I apply for my sister(40)/her husband(45) and nephew(15) now ..say 2009 and then move to India for a considerable period of time in the near future (2010-11). I am aware that the wait period is about 10-12 years.

What happens to the petition I filed on their behalf? Do I need to reside all the time in US for the petition to be approved?

Thanks in advance

As a citizen, you can reside wherever you want without restriction. If I were in your shoes, the only thing that might worry me is not missing any mailings from USCIS over such a long time.

There is no requirement to reside in the US the entire time while waiting for approval. It is intended that you need to be residing in the US when it comes time for the USCIS to actually approve them. It sounded like you just wanted to know if it's ok to live out of the US for a few years, long before these apps will even be looked at. I don't see why not.

Just considering a situation:
What if I apply for my sister(40)/her husband(45) and nephew(15) now ..say 2009 and then move to India for a considerable period of time in the near future (2010-11). I am aware that the wait period is about 10-12 years.
The nephew will almost certainly become too old to make use of this sponsorship (he'll turn 21 before the 10-12 years have passed), unless they change the law to increase the quota for siblings of citizens. So your nephew and his parents should plan accordingly.

The nephew will almost certainly become too old to make use of this sponsorship (he'll turn 21 before the 10-12 years have passed), unless they change the law to increase the quota for siblings of citizens. So your nephew and his parents should plan accordingly.

It depends on how long the I-130 takes to be approved.

It depends on how long the I-130 takes to be approved.
It depends on a lot of things (including the nephew remaining single). The parents being sponsored should plan for the strong possibility that this now-15 year old will be too old to join them when the time comes.

Last edited by a moderator: