Filers who filed after One Year period - Post your experiences.

Guys, quick question.

the i-589 asks aobut your employment history. given i've been residing in this country illegaly :( for about five years now, i dont know how would i answer it.

also, i'm filing from san jose area, ca. does anyone know what service center should i forward my documents to>?

any insights will be appreciated. may peace be yours.

dev

If you tell USCIS on I-589 application that you worked somewhere they are not going to do anything against you. It is not your or their problem, it is a problem of your employer who hired you illegaly, and thus becomes an issue for IRS et cetera....

Likewise on my interview officer said, that today is my FORGIVENESS DAY, tell me everything...

Now, if you lie, and somehow USCIS will find out about it - your future statements and evidence, proof will have less credibility either with interviewing officer or Immigration Judge...

Guys, quick question.

the i-589 asks aobut your employment history. given i've been residing in this country illegaly :( for about five years now, i dont know how would i answer it.

also, i'm filing from san jose area, ca. does anyone know what service center should i forward my documents to>?

any insights will be appreciated. may peace be yours.

dev

In my application, I put my entire employment history. I had a restricted SSN and a Driver's license and I used that for employment. I paid my taxes every year and never had trouble with the IRS. Do not think of falsifying or ommiting information. As a previous poster said, if the USCIS finds out, your future testimonies loses credibility. When you lose credibility, you face trouble in the future. In my experience, as far as the asylum case goes, the IO or IJ are more concerned with you proving past persecution if any and possible future persecution. I feel that working in the US is a minor issue. You have been here for five years and if you are not rich or have rich relatives you have to support yourself somehow.

guys, another question: what is the length of time from the i-589 form submission to the interview date with io? i lodged the file on 24th oct and today i've received the interview date for 18th nov. its less than a month. about weeks months to be more precise.

i'm worried if that's the standard time or is there anything else i shoudl know. i'm scared more becuase i'm thinking that may be they're just rushing to deny me becuase i'm filing after 1 year period of my presence.

and yeah I HAVE NOT RECEIVED THE NOTICE FOR FINGER PRINT YET. I received my interview notice before then fingerprint. Is it regular to be so?

best, dev

guys, another question: what is the length of time from the i-589 form submission to the interview date with io? i lodged the file on 24th oct and today i've received the interview date for 18th nov. its less than a month. about weeks months to be more precise.

i'm worried if that's the standard time or is there anything else i shoudl know. i'm scared more becuase i'm thinking that may be they're just rushing to deny me becuase i'm filing after 1 year period of my presence.

and yeah I HAVE NOT RECEIVED THE NOTICE FOR FINGER PRINT YET. I received my interview notice before then fingerprint. Is it regular to be so?

best, dev

My interview was about 3 weeks after I filed my I-589 application. I received my fingerprint appointment notice 2 days after I received the interview notice. I applied for asylum after being in the US more than a year. COP government issued an arrest warrant for me 2 months before I applied for an asylum.
Keep us updated. I will definitely pray for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
assylum,

Thank you so much for your invaluable insights. Each of your inputs are boosting my level of confidence. I would certainly keep you updated. Thank you again assylum, i've witnessed prayers turning to miracle many times in my life.

Best, Dev.

Guys, as my interview date is rapidly approaching, i'm trying to gather as many information as possible from the one's who've been through the same [Difficult] shoe i'm on today.

Just to give you a jest of my situation- like above discussed- i came to this country on 2005. Back then, the situation of my country was life-threatening. I was tortured by the rebels a number of times. After my arrival, the civil war was at the peak. Despite all this, i failed to seek asylum within the 1st year of my arrival. After that, the situation in my country almost calmed down and things were easier for few years.

But now, the truce has broken and the civil war once again is igniting. If i'm forced to be back to the country, my persecution by the rebel group is blatant.They've been looking for me everywhere. So, i've sought to seek the asylum now

I have realised that i'll have to convince the IO that why i didnt apply for asylum within 1 year of my arrival. But, my question is - do i also have to convince him for the rest of years?[about three years after the 1 year bar]

What are the key ways to fill those gaps in? both - the one year gap, and if its ineeded, another three years gap.

What are my chances?

please advise!

best, Dev

Guys, as my interview date is rapidly approaching, i'm trying to gather as many information as possible from the one's who've been through the same [Difficult] shoe i'm on today.

Just to give you a jest of my situation- like above discussed- i came to this country on 2005. Back then, the situation of my country was life-threatening. I was tortured by the rebels a number of times. After my arrival, the civil war was at the peak. Despite all this, i failed to seek asylum within the 1st year of my arrival. After that, the situation in my country almost calmed down and things were easier for few years.

But now, the truce has broken and the civil war once again is igniting. If i'm forced to be back to the country, my persecution by the rebel group is blatant.They've been looking for me everywhere. So, i've sought to seek the asylum now

I have realised that i'll have to convince the IO that why i didnt apply for asylum within 1 year of my arrival. But, my question is - do i also have to convince him for the rest of years?[about three years after the 1 year bar]

What are the key ways to fill those gaps in? both - the one year gap, and if its ineeded, another three years gap.

What are my chances?

please advise!

best, Dev

This is how most probably how your interview is going to take place. Upon going through your application, the IO will realize that it has been more than one year since you came. Therefore you will be asked why you did not apply within the one year. After answering that, you will have to prove that your country conditions has gone for the worse within the last one year to have a shot of getting asylum. Once that is done, past persecution if any and the possibility of future persecution if you are deported. This is very important. Proof should include newspaper articles and State Dept Human Rights records. If you can include letters from human rights organization from back home, that helps also. Also be careful that the IO can ask you the same questions in a variety of ways to check for consistency. Know your application inside and out. The IJ did not allow me to have my application infront of me for reference.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

thank you mesbahul, that was very helpful. i think that's the tunnel-frame the IO would want to take me through.

meanwhile, please advise if anyone else has an insight.

best- dev

Hello, I have a question... although It may not have much to do with this post (I apologize)... I just can't find a way to make a separate post.

Anyhow. I just turned 21, and I want to apply for Asylum, however I've been here (in the US) for 8 years; however I was unaware of the legal system 'til recent.
I would like advice on what are my chances just based on the fact that I've been here for 8 years, however I was brought here as a minor.
Should I go ahead and apply or not?

Thanks.

Hello Selectoskeptic,

The best way to start a new thread is by hitting the tab "NEW POST" that should be located at the bottom of the page.

It is perfectly fine you could apply for Asylum at this age of 21. Though i'm still a tyro, but based on my recent research/es [which i would like to recommend you to do too] you have to have a substantial reason in seeking political asylum. You are eligible to APPLY for asylum anytime, but what qualifies you to be approved - you'll have to convince the IO or IJ that your persecution is blatant if you are forced to return to COP.

While it seems kind of difficult in your case because as you said you were brought here as a minor (i'm assuming that you probably were not persecuted in the past), and it might also be quite a challenge for you to proove that you'll be persecuted upon your return. [Pardon me if i'm missing anything]. Also, it is imperative that you will have to answer a lot of questions on why were you not able to file within the first year of your arrival.

Though it may look hard, nothing is impossible. We have members in the forum who are approved even after they missed the one year bar. Just make sure that the IO people could see honesty in your application package including the interview.

But, i emphasize on your need to extensively reasearch on this and evaluate your chances. And by the way, "hope for the best while preparing for the worst" - always ensures your safety regardless what results you are handed with.

all the very best,
Dev

Hello Selectoskeptic,

The best way to start a new thread is by hitting the tab "NEW POST" that should be located at the bottom of the page.

It is perfectly fine you could apply for Asylum at this age of 21. Though i'm still a tyro, but based on my recent research/es [which i would like to recommend you to do too] you have to have a substantial reason in seeking political asylum. You are eligible to APPLY for asylum anytime, but what qualifies you to be approved - you'll have to convince the IO or IJ that your persecution is blatant if you are forced to return to COP.

While it seems kind of difficult in your case because as you said you were brought here as a minor (i'm assuming that you probably were not persecuted in the past), and it might also be quite a challenge for you to proove that you'll be persecuted upon your return. [Pardon me if i'm missing anything]. Also, it is imperative that you will have to answer a lot of questions on why were you not able to file within the first year of your arrival.

Though it may look hard, nothing is impossible. We have members in the forum who are approved even after they missed the one year bar. Just make sure that the IO people could see honesty in your application package including the interview.

But, i emphasize on your need to extensively reasearch on this and evaluate your chances. And by the way, "hope for the best while preparing for the worst" - always ensures your safety regardless what results you are handed with.

all the very best,
Dev

Devastation is right, you could still apply and the bases of you seeking asylum will be critically important. The conditions in your COP then and now will also play a very important role.

I wish you good luck.

Devastation is right, you could still apply and the bases of you seeking asylum will be critically important. The conditions in your COP then and now will also play a very important role.

I wish you good luck.

Well thank you both very much.
My basis of Asylum is very clear, that isn't on my concerns.
My only main concern is, if me overstaying the one year rule will apply to my case since i was a minor and have just became legal of age. I was wondering if that (at the least) was enough to exempt me from being penalized for the one-year-rule.

Well thank you both very much.
My basis of Asylum is very clear, that isn't on my concerns.
My only main concern is, if me overstaying the one year rule will apply to my case since i was a minor and have just became legal of age. I was wondering if that (at the least) was enough to exempt me from being penalized for the one-year-rule.

Even if your basis of assylum is very clear, officers will look at change of circumstaces in your country. Your age has nothing to do with change of circumstances

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else has additional advice for me that'd help prepare for my interview on 18th November? Thanks in advance.

best- Dev

Thanks again assylum. The information in the articles is closely relavant to my case. Now i learned that i'll have to proove not only why i didnt apply within the first year, but also why not after that. Because about three year has lapsed after the one year bar in my case.

I was presecuted while i was back in my country, and i fled to the US. Things apparantly calmed down after my arrival to the US for about 3 years. So, i actually thought it would be safe to return to my country, and i waited to be sure it is safe. But things actually started worsening and the threat hightened when they went back to my house and tortured my parents in 2009. They told my parents that i've been ordered to be executed because i did not fulfill their earlier demands as well as taking shelter in the USA. They claimed that i've betrayed their movement and they'll terminate me at sight.

This is the situation, and i have this genuine fear for my life. What i'm afraid of most right now is to being deported. Because being deported, in this situation, is like getting life-punishment. It wont be hard at all for the rebels to kill me as they find in my country.

I am praying, and i hope the prayers count this time too, like it counted when i got a visa to the USA in 2005 and escaped the danger.

I hope the god takes care of you and yours too.

Very best- Dev

I was presecuted while i was back in my country, and i fled to the US. Things apparantly calmed down after my arrival to the US for about 3 years. So, i actually thought it would be safe to return to my country, and i waited to be sure it is safe. But things actually started worsening and the threat hightened when they went back to my house and tortured my parents in 2009. They told my parents that i've been ordered to be executed because i did not fulfill their earlier demands as well as taking shelter in the USA. They claimed that i've betrayed their movement and they'll terminate me at sight.

Here you are missing something that will be critical to your case. You cannot overstay your visa after things get better in COP for three years and now things get worse and you apply. I urge to reconsider the answer to the question why you didn't apply immediately after you arrived in U.S.