Filed July 07, officer says it could take another year.

Longview

Registered Users (C)
You can see my timeline: Last we heard from USCIS was the completion of our biometrics appointment back in September. We hadn't heard a single thing from USCIS since then, so I called their hotline and had the customer service rep transfer me to an officer. The officer said that spouse-based I-485s take 24 months to process, and saw that I hadn't filed for an EAD work permit. She laughed and said "If I were you, I'd file for that work permit, 'cause this could still take a while longer." I assume my district office is Dallas, because that's where we did our biometrics appointment.

I thought the EAD form had to be filed concurrent with your adjustment package. How's one go about getting an EAD for an application already in process?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think so

You can see my timeline: Last we heard from USCIS was the completion of our biometrics appointment back in September. We hadn't heard a single thing from USCIS since then, so I called their hotline and had the customer service rep transfer me to an officer. The officer said that spouse-based I-485s take 24 months to process, and saw that I hadn't filed for an EAD work permit. She laughed and said "If I were you, I'd file for that work permit, 'cause this could still take a while longer." I assume my district office is Dallas, because that's where we did our biometrics appointment.

I thought the EAD form had to be filed concurrent with your adjustment package. How's one go about getting an EAD for an application already in process?

BS, yes you heard me BS. The officer was frickin' lying to you so that you don't call the cust service number for atleast another year. The A-holes are good for nothing. I would not count on them at all.....PERIOD. They will make you depress. I will give u an example. I am a citizen now for over 5 months mow and if I call now to check on my status, they will tell me that my case is pending. Now, what does that tell you.

Give it another month or 2 and if u still don't hear anything from USCIS, go ahead and sue them, file mandamus. Usually I have heard the timeline for AOS to a spouse is 6-9 months. If you waited about a year, you have waited long. No need to wait any further, you will just be wasting time. Get an attorney and file mandamus.

make an infopass appt at the local office, and go talk to somebody in person.
Contact your local congressman/woman, senators, immigration ombudsman, Laura Bush, etc.

You still can apply for an EAD though, just attach a copy of your I-485 receipt with the form.

Good luck!

I smell BS as well! Washington DC DO by far is the slowest office in the nation. And they are in the process of completing interviews on all July 2007 applications. I would schedule a InfoPass to find out whats going on.

Oh, I almost forgot one other detail. The officer claimed that "without an EAD, I have no proof of her legal presence." I thought my Notice of Action letters (including the stamped/signed NOA from the biometrics appointment) showed we're in the adjustment process?

The officer claimed that "without an EAD, I have no proof of her legal presence." I thought my Notice of Action letters (including the stamped/signed NOA from the biometrics appointment) showed we're in the adjustment process?

You're right, the officer is a moron. The I-485 receipt notice is your only proof of legal presence. An EAD never is.