File WOM

calmguy said:
I think we all need to send out an email to CNN and other media channnels.
I am sure if we generate enough media attention something will be done as namecheck is affecting the Citizenship process also.
So lets all send out a letter to Lou Dobbs and mention all our efforts and problems etc.

Calmguy:

I don't know whether you are aware that Lou Dobbs has strong anti-immigration views. His anti-immigration views are pretty explicit - watch any of his shows or read any of his pieces - you will understand what I mean. Sending out a letter to Lou Dobbs wouldn't serve any purpose.

The issue of name check has already been featured on NYTimes, Washington Post etc.

Probably not practical

Getting the public's attention to one's plight is one of the most ineffective ways of solving one's problems. It's like a protest march which is meaningless unless a huge number of people participate only in which case an establishment will listen.
Not for us. That road is a dead end.

Anyway, here's the contact information of the USCIS ombudsman:
http://www.dhs.gov/xabout/structure/editorial_0501.shtm
And instructions on how to apply:
http://www.dhs.gov/ximgtn/programs/editorial_0731.shtm

I've been very tied up at work but I'm going to send out letters to my senator, congressman, the ombudsman and the FBI this week.

Does anyone know how to contact the FBI for this particular issue?

Once I have responses from all the above (hopefully before end of January), I'll take an infopass and once that's done I'll move onto the FOIA and lastly the WOM, hopefully before March.

Does anyone know how long it takes the USCIS to give us an infopass appointment so that I can plan in advance?

After the initial enthusiasm, I don't see much responses. I hope you guys are working on these steps.

Once everyone gets past the infopass which will confirm that we're stuck in NNCP and then the FOIA we can move together on the WOM.

Remember, the anxiety that the USCIS could "get back at you" is totally unfounded and irrational, in case anyone's worried about it.

As of now, I'm leaning toward *not* hiring an attorney. We can decide later about this, though.

nj_skm

Last edited by a moderator:
sergy71 said:
Im curious.. whether it is really necessary to have the support of emloyer for filing WOM. Why do you think it is necessary?
Not needed. I was just quoting someone else who gave me this info.

nj_skm said:
Remember, the anxiety that the USCIS could "get back at you" is totally unfounded and irrational, in case anyone's worried about it.

nj_skm

Why do you say it is unfounded and irrational? On the citizenship forum, which has a huge thread devoted to suing USCIS/FBI, there are a few cases where it appears that USCIS did try to hit back. Granted - such cases are relatively few. However, if there is anything in your case which is up to the adjudicating officer's discretion, then they would be well within their rights to make a decision unfavourable to you.

I have also read one, may be two cases where the WoM named only the FBI, not the USCIS. This was done only to avoid the risk of USCIS "getting back" at you.

Guys my case got approved

Card ordered for production. I will be around in this forum. Let me know is there any thing I can help you.

Still interested?

All, I haven't seen much activity in the past few days. I hope interest hasn't petered out in getting together for the WoM.

Anyway, I've sent out the letters to my local congressman and senator today.

I also thought of sending out the ombudsman letter but a closer look at the site seems to indicate that they would prefer to see that I've put in considerable effort before I approach them.

One question: should I take an infopass appointment now and get a confirmation that my application is stuck in namecheck before approaching the ombudsman?

Also, does anyone have information on whom to contact within the FBI for a status enquiry on my namecheck?

Thanks,
nj_skm

Yes. Take infopass

nj_skm said:
All, I haven't seen much activity in the past few days. I hope interest hasn't petered out in getting together for the WoM.

Anyway, I've sent out the letters to my local congressman and senator today.

I also thought of sending out the ombudsman letter but a closer look at the site seems to indicate that they would prefer to see that I've put in considerable effort before I approach them.

One question: should I take an infopass appointment now and get a confirmation that my application is stuck in namecheck before approaching the ombudsman?

Also, does anyone have information on whom to contact within the FBI for a status enquiry on my namecheck?

Thanks,
nj_skm

Got infopass

I have taken an infopass appointment for Jan 8th at 7.30 am.

I'll post the details of the interview once I'm done.

nj_skm

Got confirmation about namecheck

All,
I just dialed the national customer service number and managed to talk to a lady. Rather than be rude (as my other experience in the past), she was ok. Not nice, but not rude either.

Anyway, I told her that my case is stuck and that I have received a letter saying that my case is stuck in security check. She gave me the usual routine about not doing a status check on the phone. She wasn't very knowledgeable and was unsure about things, humming and hawing quite a bit.

Finally she took my EAC number and ran a status check! One small step for a man, one giant leap for immigration applicants, I must say. This has confirmed to me that my application is stuck in name check.

So I'll proceed with the other steps of FOIPA, contacting the FBI etc and see how it goes.

My infopass might not shed any more light on this but I'll go to the appointment and see what gives.

Peace,
nj_skm

Classaction

Guys, if you're going for WOM, please consider a classaction.

Someone mentioned that we need at least 30 people for a case to be organized as a class action. We'll need confirmation on this.

Anyone? UN, Saras and other experts? Can you confirm?

If you're going alone, you don't need a lawyer.

If there are enough people, I don't mind spending some $$ for a lawyer and make it a classaction. Due to this, my particular case will be delayed a few more months and I'll spend more money but if this means that the classaction will force USCIS/FBI into a change of procedure that will benefit ALL applicants, let's do it.

Hey guys,

I just received a email from USCIS, my I-485 has been approved. I filed a law suit last month, after four weeks I got this email. I file the WOM by my self, you don't need a lawyer.

EB1
I-140/I-485 Nov, 2004
I-140 Apr, 2005 AD
I-485 Dec, 2006 AD
WOM Nov, 2006

Congrats Man!!!! This is good news... Next year will keep USCIS on its toes.
--Naveen Oshos
chellencba said:
Hey guys,

I just received a email from USCIS, my I-485 has been approved. I filed a law suit last month, after four weeks I got this email. I file the WOM by my self, you don't need a lawyer.

EB1
I-140/I-485 Nov, 2004
I-140 Apr, 2005 AD
I-485 Dec, 2006 AD
WOM Nov, 2006

chellencba said:
Hey guys,

EB1
I-140/I-485 Nov, 2004
I-140 Apr, 2005 AD
I-485 Dec, 2006 AD
WOM Nov, 2006

congrats,

I sent you a private message.

Congrats

chellencba said:
Hey guys,

EB1
I-140/I-485 Nov, 2004
I-140 Apr, 2005 AD
I-485 Dec, 2006 AD
WOM Nov, 2006

Congrats!! What a new year gift! :)

Can you please post details of your efforts (letters to senator/congressman, letter to FBI and other stuff) that will help me and the others who are on their way to a WOM?

Congrats once again and thanks a lot for your help,
nj_skm

Hey Guys,

Here is some information about my WOM, I wish it will help.
1. Letter from USCIS responding to my Inquiry.
2 I wrote letter to the First Lady, and then got a letter from FBI responding to the inquiry
from the First Lady to say my name check was pending.
3. I wrote letter to the Congressman and letter from USCIS responding to the inquiry
from the Congressman.
4. I wrote letter to Senator Hillary Clinton in Sep, 2006, and sent several Faxes and called
her office, no any response so far.

My experience, the First lady Office and congressman are very kindly and responded in time, but they couldn't expedite my Name Check. WOM is the only one working for me. My I-485 was pending for more than 24 month, this is another key.

I registered to PACER, and studied the cases, and then I wrote my Complaint. You can get handbook of Pro Se in your local district court.

Good luck!

EB1
I-140/I-485 Nov, 2004
I-140 Apr, 2005 AD
I-485 Dec, 2006 AD
WOM Nov, 2006

Hi, chellencba,

Cong. on your approval. I had the same situation as yours.
So did you get any LUD before you got the approval email?
Have you contacted your AUSA? And when exactly did you file WOM?
I filed WOM on Nov. 28 but still waiting.