FBI Name Check

I think it will take 3 yrs for name check to go through

Hi Guys,

I just did some calculations and came to timeframe of 3 yrs for name check to complete.

FBI processes 10000 name checks a month. There is a backlog of 720000 namechecks. say out of that 360000 are N400 name checks. so @rate of 10000 a month it will take 36 months to get name check to complete. This 36 monhs is based on the time that is needed for the personnel to work on the case. If one is under investigation that may spill over to 4th year.

I hope my calculation is wrong.

Regards

Whole bunch of Unique Russian names? hmm.
I don't know how the system works but I now it is pretty much corrupted.
My name is the only name in Iran very unique because it is arabic :d
So if they go Nimche - Iran - Nimcholosky = result will be zero but I could still get stuck in name check not because of my name but the system.

Hi Guys,

I just did some calculations and came to timeframe of 3 yrs for name check to complete.

FBI processes 10000 name checks a month. There is a backlog of 720000 namechecks. say out of that 360000 are N400 name checks. so @rate of 10000 a month it will take 36 months to get name check to complete. This 36 monhs is based on the time that is needed for the personnel to work on the case. If one is under investigation that may spill over to 4th year.

I hope my calculation is wrong.

Regards

Thanks for giving us a head up. I will report this to my wife for sure.
Honey since we have waited 4 years so far could you please wait another 3 year or maybe 4 years. 8 years then we will probably move from the US.

What brand of calculator you are using?

Whole bunch of Unique Russian names? hmm.
I don't know how the system works but I now it is pretty much corrupted.
My name is the only name in Iran very unique because it is arabic :d
So if they go Nimche - Iran - Nimcholosky = result will be zero but I could still get stuck in name check not because of my name but the system.

An example of a fairly common Russian name would be Mikhail Smirnov. A more unique name would be something like Svyatoslav Gorodetsky. To most people who aren't familiar with Eastern European languages and/or dialects, both would sound exactly the same. :)

I think that, at this point, it's a crapshoot. Still waiting to do an InfoPass.

The reason might me trivial. Russians are stuck due to high gang activity in 90th and hard work of some deflectors (Mitrokhin Archive) who copy classified KGB archives with intention to sell. Keep in mind that terrorism is not the only National security threat. Please add spies, gangs, drug dealers to the list. High volume of records, high chance to get a NC hit...

Ohh, common! The people I know are all skilled computer/software engineers with advanced scientific degrees, not scumbags, drug dealers from bad neighborhood or mob operators... some of them are Ph.D's and have reputation going well beyond borders of USA. They are earning high income, pay taxes on time, and invest money in this country. Well, maybe russians are all spies, commies and KGB agents?... Gimme a break. That's called paranoia ...or maybe racial profiling? Take your pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohh, common! The people I know are all skilled computer/software engineers with advanced scientific degrees, not scumbags, drug dealers from bad neighborhood or mob operators... some of them are Ph.D's and have reputation going well beyond borders of USA. They are earning high income, pay taxes on time, and invest money in this country. Well, maybe russians are all spies, commies and KGB agents?... Gimme a break. That's called paranoia ...or maybe racial profiling? Take your pick.

Agreed 100%. I'm an office professional who came to the U.S. when I was 11 years old, and I've never been to Russia since then. All other Russians with whom I'm acquainted also fall into a similar category. I think that profiling is an accurate guess.

Name check knows nothing about your job, income etc. They pass names, dates, PoB. Then they twist your names into various sounded like yours and run it against reference file :eek:
Looks like current Citizenship is not passed and only place of birth used. So Ukrainian me will be Russian for FBI due to place of birth. My classic Russian names will build big list of hits for sure. I search myself on http://www.intelius.com/ and found 6 matches with same name combination.

You may not get stuck in name check. Same with Nimche. I think you are getting worried unnecessarily. 90% of people don't get stuck in name check.

Last week when I went for my naturalization ceremony I saw people from all over the world. Iraq, Nigeria, Costa Rica, Canada, Mexico etc. A large number of the people could barely read or write in English. We on the board are educated and savvy immigrants and we get to read a lot about name check issues and get carried away.

I am sure you will receive an interview letter soon!

Agreed 100%. I'm an office professional who came to the U.S. when I was 11 years old, and I've never been to Russia since then. All other Russians with whom I'm acquainted also fall into a similar category. I think that profiling is an accurate guess.

You may not get stuck in name check. Same with Nimche. I think you are getting worried unnecessarily. 90% of people don't get stuck in name check.

Last week when I went for my naturalization ceremony I saw people from all over the world. Iraq, Nigeria, Costa Rica, Canada, Mexico etc. A large number of the people could barely read or write in English. We on the board are educated and savvy immigrants and we get to read a lot about name check issues and get carried away.

I am sure you will receive an interview letter soon!

Strangely enough, if I didn't stumble upon this board, I probably would have never even found out about the name check. I actually searched my name on Intelius (my age was listed as 34, and I'm 29), and there's a whole family with the same last name in New Hampshire. I wonder if they are some long-lost relatives of mine? As far as Zabasearch, only my name comes up, despite the fact that I contacted them multiple times in the past and asked to have it removed.

1000's of "my name" Found on zabasearch

I knew my name is common.... but so common that I get the following message when searching on zabasearch for all over US:

1000's of xxx yyyy Phone Numbers and Addresses Found! :eek:

It won't show me the names unless I narrow down my search.

When I searched just in Ohio, it showed me 21 people!

Hopefully, I'm not stuck in the name check for 1000's of days:(:(

My FP was done in Oct. 2006 and was Interviewed in Nov. 2007. It took 13 months! Just be patient. Enjoy your life first!

hi Indiana and legal alien2

Hi Indianapolis,

Did you take any steps to receive IL?(e.g infopass, writing to senators, ombudsman, vice persident, first lady etc?) or just waited for it till you got it?

I know it feels easier to say afterwards but spending time without not knowing and others who applied after you getting ILs is not easy so people get to become impatient. Just the human nature:)

My wife got her IL and citizenship and I am still waiting. I think I am in for long wait.

I just feel those who are not stuck in name check will get it in 8/9 months from when they applied. the 16-18 months wait will be for them who get stuck in namecheck.

Legalalien2,
I am in the same boat as yours.try to be patient..maybe it is just postal delay and you will get it soon.

Regards

waitingforins2 - its NOT postal delay!

Legalalien2,
I am in the same boat as yours.try to be patient..maybe it is just postal delay and you will get it soon.
Regards

Yes, we are in the same boat... but its not the postal delay. I had called USCIS last week and spoke to the Cust Rep just to make sure that my IL wasn't lost in mail. He said I'm still in namecheck but my wife's scheduled for interview. What is your timeline and Service Center?

stuck with name check since July,06 and I do not have Russian name,it's Lithuanian.

Just goes to show you that any name can trigger a hit. While Lithuania was once a part of the Soviet Union, Russian and Lithuanian names sound nothing alike.

Also, I've noticed somewhat of a trend. It's just a theory, so I'm not making any implications here. We've all seen a very low number of ILs being issued a few days after FPs. The name check procedure can be completed within a day or two, if no hits are returned. I wonder if it's safe to assume that everyone who doesn't receive an IL within a couple of weeks of FPs has scored at least 1 hit during name check?

Also, I've noticed somewhat of a trend. It's just a theory, so I'm not making any implications here. We've all seen a very low number of ILs being issued a few days after FPs. The name check procedure can be completed within a day or two, if no hits are returned. I wonder if it's safe to assume that everyone who doesn't receive an IL within a couple of weeks of FPs has
scored at least 1 hit during name check?

You are correct. By my estimates for Atlanta DO last year - if you don't get IL within 12 days after FP then you are screwed.
Another thing to consider though is that name check starts before the FP.
For example my PD is Jan. 19, 2007, namecheck was initiated Feb. 2, 2007, and FP was sometime in late Feb. 2007.

Also, sorry, but I don't buy into this "number of hits during name check" BS. There is no way that 90+% of Russian men (some with unique names) would get hit by a simple database check.
It is something else, like technology / eastern european-sound name / etc. profiling. Sure, I've read what FBI has on their website, but who is to verify that this is actually the true information.
Their actual s/w might have classified information, which they can't share with the general public or some BS like that. :( Blah, blah, blah. Anyway, no way to get the truth.
Maybe we should ask them to share the source code and SQL queries, rather than the namecheck description of similiar names, etc. :)

You are correct. By my estimates for Atlanta DO last year - if you don't get IL within 12 days after FP then you are screwed.
Another thing to consider though is that name check starts before the FP.
For example my PD is Jan. 19, 2007, namecheck was initiated Feb. 2, 2007, and FP was sometime in late Feb. 2007.

Also, sorry, but I don't buy into this "number of hits during name check" BS. There is no way that 90+% of Russian men (some with unique names) would get hit by a simple database check.
It is something else, like technology / eastern european-sound name / etc. profiling. Sure, I've read what FBI has on their website, but who is to verify that this is actually the true information.
Their actual s/w might have classified information, which they can't share with the general public or some BS like that. :( Blah, blah, blah. Anyway, no way to get the truth.
Maybe we should ask them to share the source code and SQL queries, rather than the namecheck description of similiar names, etc. :)

From what I understand, the name check is initiated at the same time as the FP appointment letter. The IO who processes the application initiates every step of the background check from the same menu on their computer. As far as the interviews go, if what you say really is true, then most people on this forum have gotten stuck in name check. I really doubt that there are such vast numbers of criminals in the FBI database whose names sound similar to your typical N-400 applicant. Having said that, I think that the racial profiling theory is a more plausible explanation. A few months ago, I filed a FOIPA request with the FBI, just to satisfy my personal curiosity and see what information, if any, they have in my main file. I've never been arrested, let alone convicted of anything, so my result was the predictable "NO RECORDS". Fine, the name check also checks secondary files, where an applican't name can be referenced (a witness in a federal investigation, relation to another party being investigated, blah blah blah). I don't know anyone who has ever been investigated by ANY law enforcement agency, nor have I ever been a witness to any crime. I am sure that most name check victims fall into the same category. In this case, something other than "secondary files" has to be involved. Take a look at the list of nationalities/ethnic backgrounds that become the most frequent victims of the name check. It HAS TO BE racial profiling.

legalalien2 I am from NJ (VSC)

Hi legal,

I am from NJ. My pd is 04/07 FP 05/07. My wife already got her citizenship.

I also called the customer service but he did not tell me that I am in name check. Did you talk to IO or the cust rep(1st tier)? I asked them to connect me to IO but he said he cant till it is 365 days from my PD.

I have already contacted senator and ombudsman although I dont think it is of any use.

so we can just sit tight and pray:)

Regards