FBI Name Check

hi,
i went to the Garden City DO office yesterday and the info i got was that the background check is pending. she was the same lady who said my NC was cleared and she tells me that NC is not the same as BCheck. now that was news to me. and also the last time she told me the case was pending decision and 3 weeks later she tells me this so so contradictory. i am really feeling very helpless and dejected now. she also tole me the 180 days rule is not for BC only for NC. Is that really true? and by he way one more question the 180 day rule is from the time we applied or from the time of an successful interview?

unlucky_girl,
Yes, it is true that the 180 is only if your name check alone has been pending for 180+ days. Also, you might want to find out exactly when your name check was initiated. But either way, I dont think the 180 "clock" starts until the other checks have been completed.

The other checks though should be completed pretty quickly (less than a month), I'm not 100% sure though.

Guys I have a question based on my timeline below. I called the customer service today morning and was told that my case has not even been started to be processed because I am outside processing times (which is May14 2007 for garden city NY office). On consultation with her supervisor, the Rep told me that this is the reason the 180 day rule does not apply to me. This is a New and Unexpected twist to my case. Is the above information accurate or is it more misinformation? Do you think I can benefit from taking an infopass?
Also, looking at "unlucky girl" post above, is there a difference between name check and background check?

thas bull shit , do you know what these morons at Garden city told me even on the day my case was approved ? first they said that ur name check is pending , i said NO its not I have a letter from the FBI itself that says that it has been done , then they say o ur case hase ben denied and u need to file an Motion to reopen , i said dont give me all this CRAP and I said I need to speak to the IO rite now who interviewed me , then the guy called the IO and says oh ur case is approved , congrats

IBIS background check

I had mentioned this in another thread. I called and talked to an IO and she said that they started a new background check after they received evidence for my RFE. So I do not fall within the 180 day FBI name check rule. Now I have no idea how long this background check will take. Every time a RFE is recieved does it trigger a background check?
hi,
i went to the Garden City DO office yesterday and the info i got was that the background check is pending. she was the same lady who said my NC was cleared and she tells me that NC is not the same as BCheck. now that was news to me. and also the last time she told me the case was pending decision and 3 weeks later she tells me this so so contradictory. i am really feeling very helpless and dejected now. she also tole me the 180 days rule is not for BC only for NC. Is that really true? and by he way one more question the 180 day rule is from the time we applied or from the time of an successful interview?

hey franticsky,
first of all congrats! u r right. they dont know what they are saying?. this was the same lady who said the case is waiting final decision and that the NC has cleared and she asked me to come in 3 weeks if i dont see an approval. yesterday she tells me bc is pending. i told her that she herself ad checked and told me that the NC was completed. she did not like that. i asked her if the NC and BC are 2 diff things and she goes that is for u to look up. Well new twist in the case. i reaaly dont know whom to believe. if the CS is so misleading why even have it there in the first place. it only messes up life more when they should be helping u and giving u the right info.

hey franticsky,
first of all congrats! u r right. they dont know what they are saying?. this was the same lady who said the case is waiting final decision and that the NC has cleared and she asked me to come in 3 weeks if i dont see an approval. yesterday she tells me bc is pending. i told her that she herself ad checked and told me that the NC was completed. she did not like that. i asked her if the NC and BC are 2 diff things and she goes that is for u to look up. Well new twist in the case. i reaaly dont know whom to believe. if the CS is so misleading why even have it there in the first place. it only messes up life more when they should be helping u and giving u the right info.

i suggest write to the uscis district director

26 federal plaza
new York , Ny

Interview

I wonder if anyone else is in the same position as me. I have not yet had the interview even though I filed in Nov 2006. I was told that they do no schedule interviews until after NC is cleared. I 2 interviews scheduled in Jan 07/feb 07 which were cancelled. Now I have an interview on march 26th.

Is anyone else being scheduled for their 1st interview since the new policy?

-JSB

Pinto , did u receive ur GC in the mail yet ?

No I have not received my green card as of yet. They did say to wait 3 weeks or so. So I'm being patient

My Timeline:
H1B -> Married to USC Husband in Oct 2005

12/29/2005 - Mailed I-485/I-130/I-765/I-864/I-693/G-325 to Chicago Lockbox
01/15/2006 - Received notices from INS saying they have our papers
01/2006 - Date for Biometrics
02/14/06 - FBI sent Fingerprint report to USCIS
02/18/06 - Received New EAD 1
06/28/06 - Interview with Immigration Officer (All looks good - he said)
06/28/06 - I-130 Approved - (Letter received in couple weeks)
01/10/2007 - Filed for renewal EAD #2
02/15/07 - Biometrics date
03/22/07 - Received renewed EAD #2
11/15/07 - Filed for renewal EAD #3
12/18/07 - Biometrics/Fingerprint date for EAD
12/26/07 - Received renewed EAD #3
02/26/2008 - Fingerprints Renewal for I-485 - Notice to appear on this day.
03/05/08 - Green Card Approved
03/10/08 - According to website - Green Card ordered to print
03/11/08 - Notice/Welcome to USA Letter received in mail

Now Waiting for the card!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if anyone else is in the same position as me. I have not yet had the interview even though I filed in Nov 2006. I was told that they do no schedule interviews until after NC is cleared. I 2 interviews scheduled in Jan 07/feb 07 which were cancelled. Now I have an interview on march 26th.

Is anyone else being scheduled for their 1st interview since the new policy?

-JSB

I know for a fact that you can have an interview before NC has cleared. Lots of people are approved at the interview pending NC, so you were told something incorrect.

No I have not received my green card as of yet. They did say to wait 3 weeks or so. So I'm being patient

My Timeline:

03/10/08 - According to website - Green Card ordered to print

Now Waiting for the card!

did u receive any email saying "approval notice mailed " ?

Fransticsky,
I hope that your green card comes in eary next week. My card was mailed three days after " Card production order"
Good luck!

EB2 filers

EB2 (India) visa's were not available and so inspite of the 180 day rule we were not getting any letters for GC. They just got approved starting in April 08 and for PDs upto 2003.
PD dec 2001
NameCheck approved Dec 2007
Wife's second FP last week
Did an Infopass on March 13th to inquire about my GC (and I485 situation) when i was told of the EB2 visa's unavailability. Given the new visa situation, I am hopeful that something might happen in April

Just wanted to let everyone know I received my Green Card in mail today :D Part of me is very happy and part of me is still in shock. Thank you everyone...
BTW I received a permanent green card not a conditional. It is valid for 10 years.

-- franticsky -- Your approval timeline is similar to mine. You should be getting your card soon in mail. And no I did not receive any email from them I just checked their website and put in my receipt number to check my status. Thats how I found out. In the letter they sent me they wrote that it could take up to 3 weeks for you to get the card. I was surprised I got it so soon.

My Timeline:

03/10/08 - According to website - Green Card ordered for production
03/15/08 - Green Card Received in mail :D

Last edited by a moderator:
They just got approved starting in April 08 and for PDs upto 2003.

I'm not from India, but I've a question regarding this pd thing. Does PD mean the priority date for when I-130 was filled?

My priority date for I-130 (marriage based) was filled in March 2000. And my priority came current in Oct 2004. I applied for I-485 then in oct 2004...

Thanks!