FBI Name Check

I-865

Hi Hiram,

Thanks for the reply. My I-130 was approved in October 2005 during the interview. Only my I-485 is pending. Do I still need to ask my wife to file an I-865?

Also, where do I get an Infopass appointment? In Boston or Charlotte?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

better late than sorry
the I-865 needs to be mailed as a change of address form for a pending I-130 than ur wife submitted. send it certified with a proof of delivery.
the rest of the pending applications u can do online on the uscis web site (u will get a confirmation number) or on the phone (and u will NOT get a confirmation number). make sure if u talk to them on the phone to tell them this is not the ar-11 but the pending applications.. they dont know what they are doing sometimes
also make an infopass apt. and go talk to them face to face.. get this resolved asap!

Infopass appt.

I had an infopass this morning. Case is still pending name check clearance. Apparently the name check request was submitted on Jan 19th 2007, I guess it's safe to say this is not going to get resolved soon.
The IO I spoke to mentioned that if and when we move, we should make an Infopass and submit the new address in person (i.e file AR-11 in person) so that the new address is definitely on file. That way when the case gets approved they will have the most current address to send the GC to instead of having to transfer the case etc.
Has anyone had experiences, good or bad, with moving during a pending I-485?

My friend moved , his files took 6 months to get transferred , it may not be the case with you I hope it happens sooner for you MN , I tell you the government offices here are worse than those in India :(

So one needs to file a I-865 and an AR11 before moving to a new place?

I will be moving sometime in the next 6 months to a neighbouring state and I suppose this is good information?

6 weeks and counting here... no updates since the day of the interview.

All the best to us all,guys.

My friend moved , his files took 6 months to get transferred , it may not be the case with you I hope it happens sooner for you MN , I tell you the government offices here are worse than those in India :(

Well, this IO I spoke to yesterday didn't say they were going to transfer the files. He said "since all the processing is complete, as long as we have the current address, that's the one we'll use when we order the card. There's no need to transfer the files."

moving

i moved while my i-485 was pending.. it took them 3 months to get the file (neighboring states)

if ur i-130 is approved already, no need for an i-865.. if it is still pending then yes u do.

if u did have an interview already and then moved, then be prepared to go for a 2nd interview.. i know someone in a different forum his file got lost while moving from one state to another ... they were giving him a hard time for 2 years.. and when he sued them, he got his GS in 3 weeks !

but regardless if u move.. u have to do what u have to do.. and bare the risk... !

My DO is also Phili, I had my interview 5 weeks and still no updates, nothing! I'll be traveling in three weeks on AP, has anybody faced any problems traveling on AP while name checking is pending?
So one needs to file a I-865 and an AR11 before moving to a new place?

I will be moving sometime in the next 6 months to a neighbouring state and I suppose this is good information?

6 weeks and counting here... no updates since the day of the interview.

All the best to us all,guys.

but regardless if u move.. u have to do what u have to do.. and bare the risk... !
True. The guy who checked me in at the DO yesterday said "It's never a good idea to move when you have an application pending". This was followed by "I could tell you your name check will be done in 6 months or a year, but I'd be lying. We can't really predict how long it will take." So, what they are saying is, irrespective of job offers or family circumstances, just stay where you are until we finish doing our job...sounds like house arrest, doesn't it? I'll be damned if I lose opportunities in life while these guys take their own sweet time investigating if I'm a threat to the nation. Honestly, if someone was out to do some damage, would they bother filling out all this paperwork, submitting supporting documents, getting vaccinated, making appointments to visit the office and taking time off to drive back and forth to the DO, not to mention paying the lawyers all the $$'s?

I concur with you all. I recently denied a better offer just because it required moving to another state, especially I was expecting my EAD card. Guess what they messed up my EAD card and sent me a replacement card instead of renewed card.

I would have been in bigger trouble with my EAD, had I moved?

US immigration should change their statement on their website ,instead of saying "US IMMIGRATION HOW CAN WE HELP YOU " they should put "US IMMIGRATION HOW CAN WE HARASS YOU ":mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yeah right dont go anywhere when your application is pending , do not care about anyone , family , parents , brothers , sisters non one is more important than these lazy jerks at US immigration who are getting paid with the tax payers money for doing nothing but harassing people who are working hard to secure a better future for themselves and their families
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
What a life the USCIS envisions for those in name-check. But as someone earlier wrote, we've got to do what we've got to do and take each day as it comes.

I only realised today :cool:that the Immigration officer crossed my F1 visa and wrote CWOP on it at the time of the interview. Did anyone else have a similar experience? I wonder what that means. All along I thought she took only the I-94.

be prepared to wait 2-3 years for ur name check....
and to file a lawsuit after 24 months of waiting

We need to do SOMETHING

Everyone,

I found this posted in another section of this website. I just copied and pasted it below since it wasn't posted to this particular thread.

I just wrote my Oregon congressman.

Quick way to solve name check problem

Congress has a bill pending for name check backlogs. This bill requires FBI to end all the name check cases pending longer than 6 months in 18 months. PLEASE write your congressman immediately and let all people you know to write to congressmen to support this bill or it cannot be passed. You should give people you know a letter and a stamped envelope and ask them to write to their congressmen. The link of the pending bill is listed below. I

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...8&congress=110

I have listed the letter I wrote for your reference.

Dear Honorable XXXX

I am writing to seek your support for Bill H.R. 3828.

H.R. 3828 aims to reduce the backlog in processing requests made by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to the National Name Check Program of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Name Check is conducted by FBI on every applicant of US permanent residency and citizenship. As of May 2007, there were approximately 330,000 Name Check cases pending at the FBI, including 107,000 cases pending over 12 months, and 31,000 cases pending over 33 months (USCIS Ombudsman Annual Report of 2007). As the USCIS Ombudsman Report states,

"FBI name checks, one of the security screening tools used by USCIS, continue to significantly delay adjudication of immigration benefits for many customers, hinder backlog reduction efforts, and may not achieve their intended national security objectives".

The current delays in the Name Check program not only pose burdens on people seeking immigration benefits, but also lead to serious national security risks. Delays in the name check process actually prolong an individual's presence in the United States while the check is pending. In this sense, the current name check program may increase the risk to national security by extending the time a potential criminal or terrorist remains in the country.

Please support H.R. 3828 to support immigrant rights and strengthen national security. Thank you for your considerations.

Sincerely

XXXX

be prepared to wait 2-3 years for ur name check....
and to file a lawsuit after 24 months of waiting

Do you mean 24 months from the day of applying or from the day of the interview?.

Someone had said that you should be able to sue after 1 year of your interview.

I've already done it once for my citizenship, but that was a different ball game since it was after 6 months of my interview.

Now my wife is stuck in her name check for her GC.

thanks

Do you mean 24 months from the day of applying or from the day of the interview?.

Someone had said that you should be able to sue after 1 year of your interview.

I've already done it once for my citizenship, but that was a different ball game since it was after 6 months of my interview.

Now my wife is stuck in her name check for her GC.

thanks

Ouch... to have to go through this twice. :eek:

Hello,

To all you guys waiting out there stuck in the "pending name check" status, all I can tell you is be patient. Try not to think about it because the more you think about it, the more frustrating it will get.

Just yesterday, I received my green card in the mail. I have been waiting for about 3 years. I filed in November of 2004, had our interview in August of 2005 I believe, was told that everything looks good and I just need to wait for my green card in the mail upon completion of my name check. I was told that it might be a few days, or a few weeks, or even more. The weeks turned into months, and the months turned into years. No matter who I contacted nothing seemed to help and I could never get any more information about my status. Finally, couple weeks ago, I saw some activity on my online status (I was signed up to receive automatic updates via email) so now I have my I-551 card.

One thing I noticed was that right before I got my green card, I had applied for my 3rd EAD. And usually I apply for an EAD and check the box that says "1-485 pending" and receive it right away but this time they wanted more proof of my eligibility for an EAD. When I mailed them back a letter explaining how I've been pending for a couple years and I included my receipt and a photocopy of my passport other proofs, that seemed to help my case. It seemed like whoever was processing my EAD application was like, who is this guy, and then when they saw that I've had a I485 pending for the last couple years they decided to reach down to the bottom of their file cabinet, remove the thick layer of dust off my application, and take a look at it. Shortly after I received my EAD I received my green card. It could have been a coincidence but who knows...

So my advice is be patient and forget about it! You're here legally...you can obtain an EAD if you want and you can have a job, you can go to school, you can live a normal life. You can even travel if you obtain a travel permit. Just forget about it and carry on with your life and sooner or later it will come. I was advised not to expect it before 3 years and when I finally accepeted that fact, it made things easier. So for those who have been waiting for 1-2 months, you might get it any second but you also might end up waiting for 2 more years like I did, so make things easier for yourself and quit checking your mail everyday hoping that it might show up today or tomorrow...you're just torturing yourself.

I hope everyone can get their GC as soon as possible but if you don't, then please don't stress out about and enjoy your life in the meantime. Best of luck to you all.

Moneer