FBI Name Check

went to interview today, but she said that she will apove my GC once my background check got passed. can anyone tell me background check is same as name check.

Starting Jan 2007, USCIS now gets FP check, Namecheck and IBIS completed through BCS (Background Check Service). So it looks like now they have changed the terminology at the interview table. I was also told "background check" is spending. I specifically asked if it is name check and the officer said namecheck is only one piece of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Writing to DO

Hello,

Like everyone I am also stuck in NC for 15 - 16+ months (dont' know when NC was initiated). My I-130 is not yet approved. Reading through the threads, there is a lot of dicussion about WOM and associated paperwork. One of the e-mail suggested writing to DO every other week. My questions are:

1. Does anybody have the template for writing to USCIS DO?

2. To whom in DO should the letter be addressed to?

3. Does the letter mailed via snail-mail (USPS) or can it be e-mailed? If e-mail how do I go about finding e-mail address?

4. Have these letters been responded back by USCIS DO? (I have called USCIS customer service for my status check and was given a reference #, but never recieved any reply / letter).

I would appreciate if somebody could help / advise.

BTW: My DO is Charlotte, NC. My family based AOS paperwork was done by my work.

Here are my timelines:

I-485 / I-130 RD: 11/14/2005
FP Date: 02/07/2006
Interview Date: 04/13/2006
I-765 RD: 11/02/2006
EAD Approval: 01/29/2007
EAD Recieved: 01/29/2007
NC Clearance: Waiting :confused: :( :mad:

Is my name check clear???

I applied for my i-485 in April 2004 , interviewed in Aug 2004 . Approved but pending name check. Since then i have not heard anything regarding my application except that pending name checks .. 2005 passed .. 2006 passed.. and now i got an RFE to submit proof of relationship from after the date of interview to current day .. the same kind of documents we took to our interview .. It also says they will send a notice to retake fingerprints since they are expired from when i first took them.

My question does this mean name check is clear and they finally moving with the process of adjudication (or) is it just that they regather information after certain amount of time ? Anyone with similar expeience please post or what you think.

hello name_stuck...

This certainly is a positive sign...From wat I have read from others....I believe ur name check is cleared...They want to retake the fingurprints becoz ur they expire in 15 months....
Can u please let us know ur Country of Origin?

name check again

During the interview for my wife, our officer told that everything is fine and she will get GC in 2-3 weeks in the mail.

Noticing that Jan and Feb filers have received GCs on hand already, and getting worried we took an info pass and went to DO today. The idea was to get the stamp on passport and put other doubts to the rest.

Found out that application is pending name check :mad: . The interview officer did not review the case status before the interview!!! She never told us about the pending name check.

The information officer told us that name check gets cleared. DOs watch the status every week and DO should process application once it is cleared and card should be mailed to us. We are waiting...

Case status on I-485 still says pending (no mention of name check) and no LUD since Feb 21.

I took an infopass to check on the status of my namecheck.
Same answer, it is still stuck, no result. He said that he is checking on both sides - the FBI side and the USCIS side to see if there are any results.
More than 20 months now. I think I should start collecting more of these no result responses and get the WOM started.
Since they are increasing the fees, it is better to give WOM a shot than waste money on keeping EAD and AP updated.
ugghhh... my rant over...

2nd FP

Hello,

Is it true that 2nd FP letter is sent by USCIS only after NC is cleared? (I am still stuck in NC). Or do they sent after 15 month expiry of 1st FP?

Today exactly 6 months after my interview i received an email saying that my card production has been ordered. I'm stuck in the name check since oct 6 2006 and was out of hope. Im not gonna celebrate until i receive the card. We never know the email could be another mistake since i did receive a welcome notice right after my interview but the card never came. Hopefully this is the end.

All (sorry for the long post!!):

Finally I got my I-551 (passport stamped). Now I will wait for the green card to show up in mail.

My wife and I were re-interviewed today by the same officer who interviewed us 3 years back.

I-485/I-130: 12/03
Interviewed: April 04 (approved waiting for NC)
Filed for EAD/Advance Parole 3 times (approved all times)
Re-interviewed: 4/10/07
Passport stamped: today

Then I asked the officer when I can expect my green card. They told me as my case is really old (>3 years) I am still considered under the "old process" so they couldnt give me a date. Does anyone have a clue as to what the "old process" means??

Also, the officer asked us in-depth questions:
1) photos
2) proof insurance, lease agreements, car loans, medical cards (dont forget this one)

Question for the experts:
I got a temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residency for one year. As my green card process took more than 3 years, what I am wondering is whether I was awarded a conditional or a regular green card? Why does the stamp on the passport say "temporary I-551"?

Thanks

congratulations anil24.

I am in similar situation , filed 4/2004 after marriage to my wife us citizen .. approved pending name check.. name check cleared recently and recieved notice of fingerprints and RFE (no interview) to show proof of marriage same stuff that we took to initial interview . submitted everything .. finshed fp..so now just waiting .. the case is currently pending review..

did you get the approval letter @ interview or do they mail it later? please do update this thread with your timeline when you get approval and GC thanks

As far as i know i-551 stamp is temporary GC stamp until you get the physical card in hand .

congratulations anil24.

I am in similar situation , filed 4/2004 after marriage to my wife us citizen .. approved pending name check.. name check cleared recently and recieved notice of fingerprints and RFE (no interview) to show proof of marriage same stuff that we took to initial interview . submitted everything .. finshed fp..so now just waiting .. the case is currently pending review..

did you get the approval letter @ interview or do they mail it later? please do update this thread with your timeline when you get approval and GC thanks

As far as i know i-551 stamp is temporary GC stamp until you get the physical card in hand .

Thanks!

I was in exactly the same situation. I got the fingerprint notice but didnt receive any notice about RFE. I got the fingerprint done. Then there was silence. I went to the local office via infopass and was told that my officer had reopened my file. I waited another month (Jan '07) and then I wrote a surface mail to the officer. In March, I received a letter saying that they wanted my wife and I to reinterview. It was the same officer that interviewed us in 4/04. The officer joked quite a bit saying that "did you think we had forgotten about you", etc. The questions were detailed but we had no issues.

Then the officer explained that as my GC application was pretty old they didnt know how long it would take me to get the GC in hand. Anyway, they stamped my passport (I-551) valid for a year. I will update this thread when I receive my GC in hand.

i'm in line too..

Well, I had my interview yesterday. The officer was very friendly and he said the only thing pending is the Name Check before I get my GC. He said it's taken most cases about 3 months for the name check to be approved with some exceptional cases taking a year or more. So until the name check clears, I'll be watching this thread for news. I'm from India , married to USC. Dates are in the signature.

Finally I got my card today after 6 months stuck in name check. For all of you stuck in the name check please write to your congressman. That really help me they got me out of that FBI limbo. It doesn't cost anything and it works. Good luck to all of you still waiting.

How do I know that my case is approve after name check? I checked it online and on the phone the information never update since they recieved REF and case resumed in Jan. Now we already got our interview but wait for Name check and the case online and on the phone showing the same message. My DO is in Omaha, Nebraska

Finally I got my card today after 6 months stuck in name check. For all of you stuck in the name check please write to your congressman. That really help me they got me out of that FBI limbo. It doesn't cost anything and it works. Good luck to all of you still waiting.

dudly,

Did you write to your local congressman? I went to my local congressman's office 4 weeks back and obviously i was not able to see him but his assistant took all my information and said they would send to a request to find the status. Last week, got a package from congressman's office, which had a reply letter from USCIS saying my application has name check pending and until that is cleared it won't move forward. Wordings were tweaked but kinda same answer you get by calling USCIS or going in person.
19 Months now stuck in Name check. and my last name is the most common indian last name in US.
Anybody any suggestion on what can try doing next?

Sample Template/letter

Hi Folks

I am struck in name check since feb 07. I was reading lots of post regarding writing a letter to Mrs Bush which might help to speed up things.

I would totally appreciate if anyone of you could post the sample letter or template and the address where the letter should be sent.

Thanks in advance