FBI Name Check

This thread has been very helpful. I sent in my I-485 and I-130 on January 6, 2007. Did my biometrics on Jan 19, 2007. Did the interview on February 14, 2007. I-130 approved on 2/15/2007 and I-485 is pending Name check.

The process was very fast, however, I don't want to fall victim to the name check problem.

My question is; when should I start taking action with things like writing letters, info pass, calling the 800 number, and threat to sue? especially that, there is a new law in the horizon, if passed will make my GC conditional for 6 years.

Please let me know what you think..

Rajman 2

You can try contacting Congressman/Senator etc after couple of months...But if your Name Check is stuck....There is no action that will help..Hopefully...yours may not be stuck...Just that your interview was too quick...

....especially that, there is a new law in the horizon, if passed will make my GC conditional for 6 years....

Rajman 2

...If this new policy passed, will it affect only new applicants or even people waiting for AOS like us? And after 6 years with conditional GC, how long to be eligible to apply for Citizenship ???

Thanks guys...

100 years!

...If this new policy passed, will it affect only new applicants or even people waiting for AOS like us? And after 6 years with conditional GC, how long to be eligible to apply for Citizenship ???

Thanks guys...

It may take about 999.99 years :)

This thread has been very helpful. I sent in my I-485 and I-130 on January 6, 2007. Did my biometrics on Jan 19, 2007. Did the interview on February 14, 2007. I-130 approved on 2/15/2007 and I-485 is pending Name check.

The process was very fast, however, I don't want to fall victim to the name check problem.

My question is; when should I start taking action with things like writing letters, info pass, calling the 800 number, and threat to sue? especially that, there is a new law in the horizon, if passed will make my GC conditional for 6 years.

Please let me know what you think..

Rajman 2

Where did u hear this from?
If cond GC is for 6 years...u can apply for citizenship in 5 years....

You need to sue ASAP. This is very bad. You should find information on how to file this lawsuit in this thread. Good Luck

hi rajman 2.
we are going to sue the uscis this month.i mean we do not know who to believe anymore.the uscis says something different and the liaison unit says something different.
we feel, like they are all playing some games with us and telling us some lies just to get rid of us.

Based on the thread in this forum, seems to me that you haven't collect much evidence to prove that you've exhausted admin measures. Since your case is delayed due to CIS error, you might want to try to expidite it or contact the Obusman's office. Just my 2cents, hope it helps.

Based on the thread in this forum, seems to me that you haven't collect much evidence to prove that you've exhausted admin measures. Since your case is delayed due to CIS error, you might want to try to expidite it or contact the Obusman's office. Just my 2cents, hope it helps.
thank you for your advise HBB.i might sound stupid, but i did not know that some Ombusman exists.this info kind of slipped through my fingers.we are gonna try him first and se what he has to say about my case.

Today I went to infopass. The officer told me my name check was cleared a month ago and reviewed by the officer for over a month. How long will take them to clear the case after name check? did anyone know? What should I do? write a letter to the office?

Thanks

Congrats angelene!!!
Thats really gr8 news....Can u please post your timeline?
I dont think it should take long now.
I believe they may just do the final review of your case and then send you the GC.

You can try and write a letter to your DO.

Is there a way we can track what dates for Namecheck is being processed? Mine is stuck since more than a year depending when the Namecheck is submitted? Is it submitted after your FP or on reciept of application?

FP Done: 2/2006
Interview: 4/2006
Now waiting for NC Clearance
or
2nd FP Letter (since they expire after 15 months).

I have called customer service twice with no reply, one Infopass in August with same answer of waiting NC clearance. Any advice on what else can be done?

any deadlines?

hi all.
i filed I 485, passed the interview last year but still waiting for that name check to be cleared.we went for the infopass and asked about my case as well as if there is some time line the uscis has to give their decision.the immigration officer denyed any deadlines and said nothing like this exists and i just have to wait.but how come everybody says the uscis has 120 days from the interview to give their decision.does it mean that for us who filed for I485 it does not apply or was she wrong.
please help out.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all.
i filed I 485, passed the interview last year but still waiting for that name check to be cleared.we went for the infopass and asked about my case as well as if there is some time line the uscis has to give their decision.the immigration officer denyed any deadlines and said nothing like this exists and i just have to wait.but how come everybody says the uscis has 120 days from the interview to give their decision.does it mean that for us who filed for I485 it does not apply or was she wrong.
please help out.

The 120 days is for naturilazation cases. AOS has no such laws or statutes.

The 120 days is for naturilazation cases. AOS has no such laws or statutes.

thank you very much for your help.i guess that answers my question about how come it has been way over 120 days since my interview and still no decision.i guess i got it all mixed up.

I been waiting on my FBI check clearance passed 18 months now.
Filed I-485, I130 ... in July '05
Interview November'05 (Officer said everything is fine only waiting on FBI check).
And ever since then FBI check is pending and pending ....
Been to INS office multiple times, local congress man says, he can't do anything about FBI check ... haven't tried any thing besides that ...

Hi Everyone,

I have 3 questions:

1. How do I confirm that I am stuck on FBI Name Check? (via letter in the mail or email or status change online)

2. How does this new process affect the new applicants? Link: http://www.immigration.com/newslette...oundcheck.html

3. I applied for AP after my interview. Do I need another FP?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same boat

I am in the same boat. I have been waiting for FBI NC clearance since 14 months in counting. What is your DO jumpdrive? I am wondering if it is related DO?

I have been to USCIS office multiple times, called their customer office a few times with no reply. Waiting for 2nd FP letter. Does anyone know when they sent out letter for 2nd FP?

Is FBI NC clearance on first come first basis or randomly done. If it first come first basis, can we track on the timelines for the FBI NC who have cleared?

I am in the same boat. I have been waiting for FBI NC clearance since 14 months in counting. What is your DO jumpdrive? I am wondering if it is related DO?

No.DO has nothing to do with it.

I have been to USCIS office multiple times, called their customer office a few times with no reply. Waiting for 2nd FP letter. Does anyone know when they sent out letter for 2nd FP?
Which FP r u talkin about.If u have applid for EAD u need to get your figureprinting done for that.Your initial FP for I-485 is valid for 15 months.When your NC gets cleared...if your FP has expired...u have to get it done again.

Is FBI NC clearance on first come first basis or randomly done. If it first come first basis, can we track on the timelines for the FBI NC who have cleared?
No one knows te order in which they go.Certainly not FCFS

My DO is Los Angeles. Not sure when this stupid NC is gonna get cleared. I found out (not sure if it is 100% true) that if it is more than 24 months when you filed I-485 and one hasn't received GC, if approved after 24 months, the person get a permanent GC rather than a temporary one ...

My wife is in the same boat. She had AOS interview last October in Charlotte, and has been waiting for name check since then. She has a 12 month EAD, which will expire in 3 month. What should she do to renew the EAD? and what can we do to the name check?

My DO is Los Angeles. Not sure when this stupid NC is gonna get cleared. I found out (not sure if it is 100% true) that if it is more than 24 months when you filed I-485 and one hasn't received GC, if approved after 24 months, the person get a permanent GC rather than a temporary one ...

You get a permanent GC if at the time of your GC approval you have completed 2 years of your marriage.

My wife is in the same boat. She had AOS interview last October in Charlotte, and has been waiting for name check since then. She has a 12 month EAD, which will expire in 3 month.

What should she do to renew the EAD?

Apply for the renewal of your EAD.Same form.

and what can we do to the name check?
Nothing much.Just keep waiting.You can try writing to Senator,Congressman,Ombudsman etc.Nothing works.
A