FBI Name Check

hi all, just joined....thought I'd let you all know my frustrations, here's my time line:-

02/04 - filed all forms relating to adjustment of status after marrying a USC
03/04 - fingerprinted
04/04 - EAD approved & received
06/04 - interviewed, approved pending secrutiy checks
04/05 - renewed EAD
03/06 - renewed EAD

now looking to renew EAD for 07. All I get is case received & pending. my local office just keeps telling me not to worry sometimes it takes a while, 3 years ????. USCIS tell me they are good to go for GC but just need the secrutiy checks back. An officer even called me at home once and said not to worry. It's like banging your head against the wall. From reading the threads it would appear the name check is the biggest problem. Anyone else been hanging around in limbo for 3 years?

gt3265 said:
hi all, just joined....thought I'd let you all know my frustrations, here's my time line:-

03/04 - fingerprinted
04/05 - renewed EAD
03/06 - renewed EAD

now looking to renew EAD for 07. All I get is case received & pending. my local office just keeps telling me not to worry sometimes it takes a while, 3 years ????. USCIS tell me they are good to go for GC but just need the secrutiy checks back. An officer even called me at home once and said not to worry. It's like banging your head against the wall. From reading the threads it would appear the name check is the biggest problem. Anyone else been hanging around in limbo for 3 years?

Dude....3 years is too much....You should immediately hire an attorney and file the Writ of Mandamus against the USCIS.Since it has been 3 years you should win.Hurry up....I am reading news that USCIS is actually removing the option to file WOM and can be effective any date.....The reason I am not filing is....my case has been pending for less than a year and that makes my case very week.....as per the attornies.

gt3265 said:

03/04 - fingerprinted
04/05 - renewed EAD
03/06 - renewed EAD

my case is similar, I filed in 6/04, 3 months later than yours, still get stuck in NC. I'm planning to file WOM in March if no good news until then...

I found this thread on: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=220468

Quote:
Originally Posted by memme
After I posted my dates on this forum, I have received enough encouragement for Writ of Mandamus. I am all set to prepare the paper work. Can anybody help with these:

1. Can I do it myself or I have to get in touch with an attorney? I know this is subjective question. But, I don't really mind if it takes a month of preparation, reading, etc.

2. Is there a detailed procedure somewhere on these forums? I remember reading something a while back. Being new (no. of visits) to the forum, I am not really very conversant in using the info here in effective way.

Any pointer will be of immense help.

Hello. My name check was pending since 2003. You dont necessary need an attorney for the writ of mandamus. I had several inquires and congressional inquires, with no result. You can get a Pro Se package from your state's federal court, or from their website. it gives you very detailed instructions about the filing. Before you file the suit, i strongly recommend that you write your local USCIS office a latter. Attention to the director of the local office. I sent them a notice of action, explaining that my name check has been pending for over 3 years, and i will be filing a mandamus suit with the federal court if they don't complete it within 30 days. Send it certified, signature required. 20 days later my name check has cleared last week. I didnt even need to file the suit.
I hope it helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memme
Thanks pumukliboy. When you say get the names of director, is it the same name that is listed at USCIS website. For San Jose, they name it as office in charge. For Phoenix, they name it as District Director.

Ok. here is my notice of action. any comment/suggestion is welcome.

SUBJECT: NOTICE OF LEGAL ACTION: WRIT OF MANDAMUS

Dear Sir,

My wife filed for my permanent residency (Green Card) in May 2004. The case moved at a steady pace and we had interview with the USCIS district office at XXXXX in October 2004. The officer approved the case and told us that name check is pending and once that is cleared, the Green Card will be sent to our new address in Arizona.

We have been waiting for almost 2 years now. My status can not be adjusted because of this delay in security clearance.

Name (in full) XXXXXXX
Complete Address XXXXXXX
Contact Details (XXX) XXX-XXXX; XXXXXXXX@yahoo.com
Date of Birth XX/XX/XXXX
Country of Birth XXXXXXX
Alien Number A XXXXXXX
Application filed at XXXXXXX
Date of Application 05/20/2004 (Receipt is attached)
Date of Interview 10/26/2004 (Officer notified that name check is pending)

Considering the usual trend, I was expecting the Green Card in early 2005. I kept waiting as I didn’t intend to disrupt the normal processing. However, it seems that there has been a significant delay now.

I have written letters to Phoenix USCIS and San Jose USCIS. I have sent letters and email to FBI’s NNCP as well. No response has been received even after 6 months.

FOIPA - I requested search for my name in FBI’s central record system. I got the results of that search. There were no matching records for my name. (Copy enclosed)

I WILL BE FILING A MANDAMUS SUIT WITH THE STATE’S FEDERAL COURT IF MY CASE IS NOT COMPLETED WITHIN 30 DAYS OF RECEIPT OF THIS NOTICE.

I certify under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct.

Sincerely Yours,
XXXXXXX

I will apply for a copy of my FOIPA, it should come within a month, when I have it I will send a copy to my district office attached to a letter similar to the one above. Will post updates.

I only found this forum a few days ago and I've got more info since then than I have in the last 3 years from USCIS. thanks to all.

I'm finally out of name check so thank you guys this forum is really great! i felt guided through all the process just reading your experiences! you made it easier!!! i received a lud on Feb 14 saying that my i-485 had been approved and received today Tuesday Feb 20 my Permanent resident welcome notice letter dated feb 12,007. I m so happy:D boy it went fast though, considering i filed sept 18, 06 so again thank you just awaiting gc in the mail:D

I got email from USCIS, saying that welcome letter was sent!

08/28/2006 - Filed I-130, I-485, & EAD (Chicago lockbox)
09/23/2006 - FP
12/12/2006 - Interview (DO St. Paul, MN)
02/20/2007 - Email notice "Welcome letter sent"

Name Check

If you guys are waiting for name check, here is my story. I got married to USC in Dec 2003. Filled my I-130, I-131, EAD, I-485 and all other relevant forms via a top notch lawyer in May 2004. My original status was H1-B.

Went in for my regular interview in March 2005, immigration officer said everything is fine waiting for name check. Now the wait start....i checked my I-485 status on line waiting for name check.....2005 passed....2006 passed..no movement.

In the mean time I traveled twice international on I-131 (Advance Parole). Suddenly out of no where I got my I-130 approval notice on Feb 14th 2007.

Now my question; Is my name check is still pending? or I should get my I-485 approval notice sometime soon.

I think you guys guessed it by, I am originally from Pakistan and living in US since 1995...and every single day leagally....went to school here on F1 had 2 H1-B (6yrs) renewals. But this name check has tested my patience. I don't know if I sue these people or what.

If you guys have any advice please share.

Regards...

Last edited by a moderator:

03/04 - fingerprinted
04/05 - renewed EAD
03/06 - renewed EAD

You are in the same boat as I am, my name check is pending since June 2004, just got my I-130 approval Feb 14 2007

You are in the same boat as I am, my name check is pending since June 2004, just got my I-130 approval Feb 14 2007

m3_mania: yours is almost identical to mine. I'm preparing for WOM, and I sent the letter of intention of legal action to DO about 3 weeks ago.

When I do a on-line case status @ uscis web site they say my case is in Missuri office and I a in Ohio should I file WOM in Ohio office or Missuri office.
Thanks

Here is the situation:

- I am working on my first H1B (expires September 30, 2007)

- I have a I485 pending namecheck (visa number is available)

- I am NOT working on EAD

- Can my employer renew my H1B effective October 1, 2007 for another three years OR IF NOT, do I have to get an EAD before my current H1B expires?

Thanks.

Your employer should be able to renew your H1B, I have the similar sitaution, name check since 2005, but I am getting my H1B renewal through my employer without any problems. I also renewed my EAD just to be on the safe side, if you need to change jobs u will need ur EAD otherwise need to transfer H1B

Officially stuck at name check

Went to immigration office today and was told my father's I-485 is pending on name check . I was able to expedite his case last month and got him FP right away, however, since it's now in FBI's hand, the immigration officer told me there is nothing anybody can do. She suggested I go with congressman or senator. I went that route back in 2005 for my own citizenship application and only after 4 months later, my name check was cleared and I was told the name check result was sent back to USCIS long time ago. The frustrating part of the whole immigration process is it's a big black hole and nobody, including people working in this hole has no idea how things are working.

Hi m3 mania,

Your dates are just about the same as mine (was on an H1B, got married to USC in 2004, filed and had the interview in Houston March 2005 and have been stuck in Name Check since then). In less than a month it will be a two year wait. I've written to senators, congressmen, etc... but always get the same answer: Waiting for Name Check to be complete. I've been thinking about filing WOM this summer if nothing happens till then. However, your story does show that there might be hope. I'm always concerned that applications such as mine are lost in the big black hole but it seems maybe not. Maybe after the wait there is light at the end of tunnel.

Like I said, I'll wait until May/June if nothing happens then I'll be filing a WOM!

Good luck to you and let us know if something new happens.

Wom

Does anybody have experience / success on I-485 result after filing WOM. I am also stuck in namecheck since 2005. My interview was done in April 2006.

PD current & 2nd Interview for i485 in NY office

My 485 interview & FP was done in 2005, y'day our lawyer received nd 485 interview & FP notice. Is this normal? Does anyone know anyone who had 2nd interview call for i485?

Following is my case trail...

----------------------
PD: April 30 2001
485 RD: April 22 2004
Finger print for 485 done on June 21 2005 (index finger, 10 fingers, picture & signature done)
Interviewed at NY Federal Plaza on July 13 2005
EAD 09/19/06
LUD change on 02/24/07
Letter received 02/27/07 for FP & Interview dated 02/22/07
FP on 03/01/07 9AM
Interview at Federal Plaza o 03/15/07 10AM
---------------------------

I received a finger print notice for I-485 after interview in April 2005

I was interviewed in Apr 2005 for my GC and the officer said that my GC is approved but my name is stuck in FBI name check, I've been waiting since then, but yesterday Feb 26th 2007 (close to 2 years) I got a notice from USCIS for Finger Printing. Does that mean my name check is clear? Is the next step a Welcome Letter?

I was interviewed in Apr 2005 for my GC and the officer said that my GC is approved but my name is stuck in FBI name check, I've been waiting since then, but yesterday Feb 26th 2007 (close to 2 years) I got a notice from USCIS for Finger Printing. Does that mean my name check is clear? Is the next step a Welcome Letter?

not necessarily. 'cause FP expires in 15month, USCIS normally schedule one after the previous one expires. You can make in INFOPASS to check out if your NC has been cleared or not.

If the 485 is pending because of name check after the interview, what will happen to the 130, pending with the 485 or gets approved first? Thanks.

my 130 got approved on the day of the interview but my 485 is still pending due to name check. interview date is dec. 18 notice date is oct.24. no lud for 485 since oct 27 but got my EAD in jan.