FBI Name Check

How long after you get your permanent residency do you have to wait till you can apply for Citizenship? Does this waiting period for Namecheck apply towards that? I hope atleast I dont have to apply to remove conditional status since it is already 2 yrs after our marriage and hopefully i will be getting a Lawful permanent resident status without any conditions.
When will this effing Namecheck go away?
Just an FYI to anyone who cares - I didnt have any issues when i travelled on Parole paper while my name check was pending. No questions asked.

Finally?...!

Hi, All,
Today I received a letter from District Director of my DO congratulating me on my approved application to adjust status. She told me in the letter that I should be able to receive my Permanent Resident Card within 90 days and that I could obtain temporary evidence of LPR by making an InfoPass if I have justifiable needs to travel oustide of the U.S. or for employment authorization by using the letter.
Finally, 15 months after filing the application, 14 months after name check was initiated, and nine months after interview, my I485 was approved... that is if they didn't make another mistake by sending me the letter. :D
It has been a long time... During the past seven months or so, I've resorted to all possible ways to expedite my name check: Four Infopass-es, numerous 800# calls and inquiries, calling and sending emails to FBIs, FOIA requests, three inquiries by my Congressman's office, one inquiry from my Senators' offices each, writing to CIS Ombudsman, writing to my District Director, writing to First Lady, and sending Letter of Intent to Sue to my District Director. I even have my WoM complaint all drafted up, cover sheet and summons filled in and ready to file a lawsuit.... but today I received the magic letter in mail. I checked my online status but nothing has changed yet.
I am not sure whether what I have done has made any difference... It might just have been a coincidence. But I am sure what I have done must have drawn attention to my case: I sent the letter of Intent to Sue about a month and half ago; I received a letter from the Ombudsman's office a week ago letting me know that they have started working on my case and I should hear from them within 45 days even though they said they couldn't do much... They funny thing was I had my last InfoPass three days ago and the Immigration Officer told me that all I could do was to wait and it was not unheard of to wait for 3-5 years. The letter I received today was dated one day after the InfoPass.
Anyway, thanks everyone for being great trenchmates during the process. Just keep doing what we can do and we will succeed in the end. The process might be painful, but we will prevail.

Best of luck to everyone and I will keep everyone posted on how long it will take me to receive the actual card... another test. :)

If anyone is interested in filing a Writ of Mandamus, please check out this thread:
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=194681&highlight=namecheck
It's a great thread and I learned so much from it. I also learned how to build up my case step by step. It's hard work, but it will pay off in the end.

Hiddendragon38

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats HiddenDragon38....From what I can see the only think that wud have made a difference is the letter to the District Director hat you intend to sue them.Can u please send a sample of the letter?.I would like to send a letter to my district director also.

Hiddendragon38 said:
Tapskap,
Thanks. Hope the attached template will be helpful.
Hiddendragon38

Hello, HIddendragon38:
I wonder which DO did you write to? I'm in the washington DC area. My case was even older than yours, 130/485 filed in June 2004! Seems I haven't done enough to call the attention from my DO...

Congrats! and thank you very much for sharing.
hbb

Hiddendragon38 said:
Hi, All,
Today I received a letter from District Director of my DO congratulating me on my approved application to adjust status. She told me in the letter that I should be able to receive my Permanent Resident Card within 90 days and that I could obtain temporary evidence of LPR by making an InfoPass if I have justifiable needs to travel oustide of the U.S. or for employment authorization by using the letter.
Finally, 15 months after filing the application, 14 months after name check was initiated, and nine months after interview, my I485 was approved... that is if they didn't make another mistake by sending me the letter. :D
It has been a long time... During the past seven months or so, I've resorted to all possible ways to expedite my name check: Four Infopass-es, numerous 800# calls and inquiries, calling and sending emails to FBIs, FOIA requests, three inquiries by my Congressman's office, one inquiry from my Senators' offices each, writing to CIS Ombudsman, writing to my District Director, writing to First Lady, and sending Letter of Intent to Sue to my District Director. I even have my WoM complaint all drafted up, cover sheet and summons filled in and ready to file a lawsuit.... but today I received the magic letter in mail. I checked my online status but nothing has changed yet.
I am not sure whether what I have done has made any difference... It might just have been a coincidence. But I am sure what I have done must have drawn attention to my case: I sent the letter of Intent to Sue about a month and half ago; I received a letter from the Ombudsman's office a week ago letting me know that they have started working on my case and I should hear from them within 45 days even though they said they couldn't do much... They funny thing was I had my last InfoPass three days ago and the Immigration Officer told me that all I could do was to wait and it was not unheard of to wait for 3-5 years. The letter I received today was dated one day after the InfoPass.
Anyway, thanks everyone for being great trenchmates during the process. Just keep doing what we can do and we will succeed in the end. The process might be painful, but we will prevail.

Best of luck to everyone and I will keep everyone posted on how long it will take me to receive the actual card... another test. :)

If anyone is interested in filing a Writ of Mandamus, please check out this thread:
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=194681&highlight=namecheck
It's great thread the I learned so much from it. I also learned how to build up my case step by step. It's hard work, but it will pay off in the end.

Hiddendragon38

Hello,
Were your call and emails to FBI responded? I called the FBI, only recorded message saying FBI on longer respond to inquiries on name checks.

Thank you

hbb,
my DO is Los Angeles. Emails to FBI never got replied. I also called FBI but was directed to the same greeting where they say they no longer respond to inqueries.

Hiddendragon38:
a quick question: did you use a lawyer? or you did all these yourself? that's lot of work.

thank you!
hbb

Indeed, it was a lot of work. For a while, it was like a second job. :) I didn't use a lawyer. I followed the suggestions in the sueing thread I posted earlier.
hbb said:
Hiddendragon38:
a quick question: did you use a lawyer? or you did all these yourself? that's lot of work.

thank you!
hbb

Thank you! HiddenDragon38;
I'm very happy for you that all the hard work paid off. I'm thinking of doing all that. I've been patiently waiting, so far... but I'm getting very tired of the waiting game, has to take some actions now...

Thanks again for all the information.
hbb

Hiddendragon38 said:
Indeed, it was a lot of work. For a while, it was like a second job. :) I didn't use a lawyer. I followed the suggestions in the sueing thread I posted earlier.

Now, I'm going to write to the district office director. Did you just put Att: Office Director? then the office address. Or you found a specific address for the director?

Thank you,
hbb

Thank you! HiddenDragon38
While I'm preparing the letter to District Director, I thought that it might also be helpful to write a similar letter to FBI, since they are the one that responsible for name check. I wonder if you tried to write to FBI, and any response?

hbb

Nope. Didn't send any letters to FBI except for the emails I mentioned before and letters for FOIPA.
hbb said:
Thank you! HiddenDragon38
While I'm preparing the letter to District Director, I thought that it might also be helpful to write a similar letter to FBI, since they are the one that responsible for name check. I wonder if you tried to write to FBI, and any response?

hbb

Got Email today from USCIS that my welcome notice has been mailed so it looks like I am now out of the dreaded name check...Of course I wont celebrate till its in my hand but I am happy :D

is it normal?????

hi all I filed my I-485 and I-130 in 03/2006 and got interview in 08/2006,everything went well but my name check is still pending......three months after interview i did infopass and I was told that my name check was initiated in 09/2006, is it normal that it took so long after I filed my application and is there any related laws i can find if i want to file a complaint to USCIS? thanks and best wishes

I just got a reply email from the IO.He said although my Name Check is pending,they are receiving a lot of Name Check Clearance in the past weeks and so mine shud also be cleared soon....I donno if he is just tryin to give me 'hope'...but just wanted to let everyone know....This is a dark tunnel and no one knows where the end of the tunnel is....:-(

hbb said:
Hello, HIddendragon38:
I wonder which DO did you write to? I'm in the washington DC area. My case was even older than yours, 130/485 filed in June 2004! Seems I haven't done enough to call the attention from my DO...

Congrats! and thank you very much for sharing.
hbb

HBB, (and others who've been waiting multiple years) you really have only one option - Theaten/File the Mandamus complaint. If the case is sitting dormant for so long, it isn't going to move on its own.

Considering its about $400 to file in federal court, the decision to threaten or file may depend on how close you are to renewing your EAD/AP. If you're within 4-5 months of your EAD expiry date, just go ahead and file the complaint as the cost of the new EAD/AP will be be about the same as the filing fee. I waited too long so I wasted a set of EAD/AP filing fees (the AP was approved the day before my Green Card and EAD is still pending - I don't need them anymore, but my wallet is lighter by $350 and the cost of two photographs)

InfoPass will get you nowhere. The agents there have no additional information and its not like they can send a message to anyone and move things along. You'll get the usual answers: we don't respond to letters anymore; this could take many years; you have to be patient; there is nothing we can do about this delay etc.

Do go in at least once soon before you file and let the agents give you their stock answers so you can list them out on the Mandamus complaint. You can get as ridiculous as you want with these officers -

Q: How long will it take? I've already been waiting 3 years?
A: It can take even longer

Q: You mean it could take 5 years. That doesn't sound like a reasonable time. Will it be approved in 5 years
A: It could be or it could take longer. There is no specific time for approval.

Q: You mean it could even take 10 years, can it take decades to get this processed?
A: Yes it could take that long or even longer. Like I said before, there is no specific processing time for this application.

Thank them and leave - and put in your complaint that when you asked whether the applicaiton would be processed within a decade, you were told that it could take even longer. (Be truthful - don't make things up, but it isn't difficult to get the agents to say "it could take even longer")

You can send out letters to your Senator/Congressperson/FBI for FOIA etc if that makes you feel better, but in reality you need none of that information to file the complaint. There is a document in these forums that was released by the FBI that indicates that asking senators etc will not speed up your case. Only the originating agency (USCIS) can speed it up and based on your InfoPass appointment, you will be told that USCIS can do nothing to speed up the case.
Stick that document with your mandamus complaint and that should establish that you have exhaused all your administrative remedies because in effect there _are_ NO administrative remedies.

I filed for I-130/I-485 in Nov 2003 - Gave up on waiting and indicated my intention to file a Mandamus complaint in Nov-end 2006. I was approved in Jan 2007. (I received a phone call telling me that I was approved - so this was probably the threat of Mandamus that got this case moving)

Here is what I did:
1. Cut/Paste a Mandamus Complaint (about 12 pages) from the various docs available in these forums. You will have to download a Pro Se package from your Federal District Court's website and see how they want things formatted
2. Wrote a cover letter to the District Director with my case details. Sent a "draft' copy of the Mandamus Complaint with the letter. (I wanted to let them know that I wasn't kidding and that the 'hard work' of getting the complaint ready was already done)
3. Copied the entire packet with a new "FYI - here's what I sent to USCIS - if this isn't resolved soon, you'll be receiving summons on behalf of the Attorney General" cover letter to the US Attorney

The USCIS cover letter was simple. My Information and a simple sentence at the bottom indicating that a draft copy of the complaint was attached and that I was willing to delay the filing by 45 days to give USCIS time to get the application approved.

Within 60 days I had a phone call to go in and get my fingerprints re-done. 3 days after that my green card was approved.

While this route worked out for me, you may want to get the 'clock ticking' by filing the complaint in Federal Court. Once you file and serve the summons, USCIS has very few options.

If I had to do this again, I'd file in Federal Court and forego the letter - especially as you receive no communication from anyone on whether they're actually working on your case or they signed the registered letter receipt notice and then tossed your letter in the trash. But, that is a $400 decision and you can decide on what its worth. I'd give them 90 days to process your case (even if you state 30 days in your letter) if you're going to go the 'letter first' route

Good Luck. Like I said before - if you application hasn't moved in 2 years, you're goiing to have to do something to move it. Apply your next EAD/AP fees towards getting the green card - File the Mandamus Complaint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! GundaDin

Dear GundaDin:
Thank you so much for the valuable information. At this point, i'm very frustrated as you can imagine... I've sent a letter indicating the intention to file WOM to district director. If I won't hear from them in a month or two, I'll take the action. I'm considering use a lawyer to file wom. What do you think about using a lawyer?
if convenient, can you give me some simple instruction for "filing the complaint in Federal Court", or direct me to some informative thread?

Thank you very much.
hbb

hbb said:
Dear GundaDin:
Thank you so much for the valuable information. At this point, i'm very frustrated as you can imagine... I've sent a letter indicating the intention to file WOM to district director. If I won't hear from them in a month or two, I'll take the action. I'm considering use a lawyer to file wom. What do you think about using a lawyer?
if convenient, can you give me some simple instruction for "filing the complaint in Federal Court", or direct me to some informative thread?

Thank you very much.
hbb

If you want to file on your own, start on the very post of this thread and look at the links. Specifically

http://immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=194681

Publicus gives an excellent step by step plan of action and is an excellent place to start. You'll have to contact your federal district court for its Pro Se package (Google United States Federal Court District of Columbia)

If you're getting a lawyer, they will know what to do.

I personally felt comfortable filing the complaint in federal court on my own (if it came to that) - but your level of comfort may be different. My thought was that I'd file the complaint with the federal district court and see what happened. If the USCIS approved my case, then I wouldn't need a lawyer.

However if they wanted to fight this in court, I was going to hand it over to a lawyer. So even if you do this yourself, have a chat with a lawyer and see if you can hand the case off to them if it get to trial. Based on the experiences of almost everyone on these forums (I have not read _every_ thread so my information may not be complete) these complaints usually get resolved without going to trial.

Good Luck