FBI Name Check

If you are recently approved under the new memo and you have been married for about 2 years how long are you getting the green card for 2 or 10 years ?

If your marriage has been over 2 years then you'll receive the Green Card valid for 10 years

My Timeline:
H1B -> Married to USC Husband in Oct 2005 :)

12/29/2005 - Mailed I-485/I-130/I-765/I-864/I-693/G-325 to Chicago Lockbox
01/15/2006 - Received notices from INS saying they have our papers
01/2006 - Date for Biometrics
02/14/06 - FBI sent Fingerprint report to USCIS
02/18/06 - Received New EAD 1
06/28/06 - Interview with Immigration Officer (All looks good - he said)
06/28/06 - I-130 Approved - (Letter received in couple weeks)
01/10/2007 - Filed for renewal EAD #2
02/15/07 - Biometrics date
03/22/07 - Received renewed EAD #2
11/15/07 - Filed for renewal EAD #3
12/18/07 - Biometrics/Fingerprint date for EAD
12/26/07 - Received renewed EAD #3
02/26/2008 - Fingerprints Renewal for I-485 - Notice to appear on this day.
03/05/08 - Green Card Approved :cool:
03/10/08 - According to website - Green Card ordered for production
03/11/08 - Notice/Welcome to USA Letter received in mail
03/15/08 - Green Card Received in mail :D

Everyone, just as I am losing hope here, I randomly checked my status today on USCIS website, and it is updated! seems like my card is in production! Here is the message:

Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Card production ordered.

On April 9, 2008, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.

Does that mean I am going to receive my GC soon? how come I did not see an update saying my case is approved? Also I am married on 3/21/2006, am I going to get a 10 year or conditional card? Thank you to everyone here for keeping my faith up all this time....

Congratulations! :D
Yes, it seems they approved your GC and you should be getting it in the mail soon. It's possible the approval notice was posted briefly and you missed checking it online when it was posted. You probably should get a 10 year GC as you got approved in April and your marriage is 2 years as of March 2008. Keep us posted.

My Timeline:

I never got the card production update. It might have been posted the same day when welcome notice status was updated.

But anyway, day before yesterday I got a message on my home phone from Customer service at Immigration (?)...on the first message she said- she was calling from cust svc at immigration and it's regarding my I-485 case and mentioned that I've inquired about this case and the request came to her office and to call her #. And she left her #.

On the same day, she left another message saying- she just checked tht my I-485 was approved and they mailed the card...if I don't receive by May 1st, to call cust svcs, and if I got it in the mean time she congratulated me. And then she left name and # again.

I checked the area code- and it was from Washington DC....and really this is first time I heard cust svcs calling ppl at home regarding their case inquiry....I'm just baffled at this.

The only thing I could think of is that I sent letter to Ombudsman office in December and I got those general reply to notify them if I don't hear anything from USCIS within 45 days. But it's wayyyy over 45 days....so not sure what was tht all about.

But I don't care at this point- however, wondering anyone got such call.

Also, I sent a letter to California District Director just before my case was approved. And they received my letter after the card was already mailed. So, the other day I got a letter from that office- they actually sent those general letter saying how they don't accept request via letter or fax and to call cust svcs and attached my letter and the envelope that I sent!!!

Saw the approval on the site

I saw the update on my case again on USCIS site. It said they approved my case and mailed the approval notice to me on 4/10. Will keep everyone posted when I actually get the card.

It's here - the actual GC - one year after interview!

Hello everyone,

Received my actual GC in the mail on Friday, 4/11!!! A big relief and just in time for a 2-week international trip starting in a few days!

About 10 days ago had received an email saying that the case had been approved. I had visited the local USCIS office after the new namecheck guidelines were published and they had confirmed that my namecheck was still pending.

A big thanks to everyone on this forum - all the helpful tips, guidance and shared experiences contributed greatly to the journey being less stressful!

Also wanted to mention a word-of-thanks to the oft-ridiculed USCIS - my experiences at the local Memphis USCIS office have always been super positive - the folks there are very friendly and helpful.

Cheers...

Congratulation Lilian23, can you please post your details: EB?, PD?, Service Center?, RD etc Anything that can help the forum users chasing their applications!
I saw the update on my case again on USCIS site. It said they approved my case and mailed the approval notice to me on 4/10. Will keep everyone posted when I actually get the card.

Fps are good for 15 months but apparently now USCIS has the ability to "refresh" them after 15 months. You will not need to go again to ASC for FPs after 15 months.
how many months is the fingerprint valid? i had mine in the last week of feb 2007. so was just wondering?

i did check if it was name check and the lady went to the website and checked and told me that the name check is complete. so it could be the other checks and so he also tole me that i will receive something in the amil soon. i dont know what that means. i guess all i have to do is wait. he asked me to come back in 2 weeks if i dont see any progress. i am only hoping my ordeal ends. i wonder how long the other checks will take. i know the website says 24-36 hours but then it is already 41/2 months since the interview.

Sorry if my spelling and grammar are fouled up, we are well into our second bottle of celebratory wine.

I am a USC, my wife a Brasilian immigrant who came in 2001 on F1 and later remained on H1B. We married in May 2004. Our basic timeline follows.

RD 6/9/04 485, 130, 765, 131
Interview and "Approval pending NC" - 8/4/05
Welcome notice and card production notice week of 4/7/08
CARD RECEIVED 4/14/08 - 46 MONTHS!!!!

We contacted and hounded our Congressman's office for the last 3 years. Our Congressman was Speaker of the House J Dennis Hastert. His office was able to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for us that we could not do ourselves. Our Senators were the Honorable Richard Durbin, then minority leader, now majority leader of the US Senate and the Honorable Barack Obama, sponsor of the Citizenship Promotion Act of 2007, Democratic Party Rising Star and now viable candidate for President of the United States. Their offices and "constituent services representatives" were able to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for us that we could not and were not doing ourselves. Working with these people, in my opinion, was an absolute waste of time, breath and postage. They even actually discouraged us and convinced us not to "waste your time filing a Writ of Mandamus suit". Not a one of them will ever receive another vote from this household.

The change to the namecheck policy (Aytes Memo of 2/4/08) is the only thing that has freed us from this bureaucratic mess that Washington should be absolutely ashamed of and voters should be calling the executive branch and Republican party onto the carpet for.

But toward the very end I did find a key that I would like to share with you all that some of you may find useful. We happened to remember the name of the IO who interviewed us in Chicago DO in Aug 2005. One day after the Aytes memo was released I was desperate for news and unable to get anything useful out of the Natl Cust Disservice Line. I Googled Chicago DO until I found a generic number and dialed it. To my surprise, the DO's main electronic switchboard menu offered an alphabetic directory. I quickly entered her name, and in less time than I had ever reached a live person on the Natl Cust Service line, I was actually speaking to our DO. She advised me that it was still a little early to tell what the Chicago DO would do with regard to this memo as there had been similar memos in the past that were never released and acted on. But she opend our file (electronically) and told me we had been scheduled for new prints and the date. My wife being out of the country, she actually immediately rescheduled that fingerprint for me right there on the phone. Brilliant! I let her off the hook with my thanks for her comments and nice talking with her. We went for FP and waited three more weeks.

I called her again. She opened our file again. Saw the FP was complete, and said that was all she could tell from her computer, but she knew there was a group in Chicago working specifically on these cases and she would call them and ask them to move my case to "the top of their pile". TWO BUSINESS DAYS LATER WE RECEVICED OUR WELCOME NOTICE EMAIL. NINE BUSINESS DAYS LATER WE HAVE A GREEN CARD IN OUR HAND. After 46 months.

Find your DO's switchboard number, see if they have an alphabetic directory listed, call your IO. Do it quickly, as all these great opportunities seem to get closed up quickly when USCIS sees they have become public.

Good luck and godspeed to all of you,
Lardbird

Hi Lardbird,

First of all... many congratulations! You seem to be from the same area as I am. My senators and congressman are exactly the same as yours!!!!

My wife is also stuck in this process from 2 years. She hasn't even been interviewed yet. Do you have any tips to share?

ccshah,

I take it from your other posts today that your wife is a naturalization applicant. Sadly, the Aytes memo provides no relief for naturalization applicants stuck in namecheck. I wish I had some great advice to help you, but I don't. Patience and a high threshold for bureaucratic pain will see you through.

Good luck,
Lardbird

my all security checks are clear for last month and half , but still my case is pending? on infopass yesterday the officer at the counter told me she is going to mail the officer who has my file, on Infopass a week before , the officer at the counter told me that she is going to forward my case details to the superviosor to the IO who have my case...

mailed a letter to ombudsman yesterday, calling 1-800 number does not help, they say iam off by only 20 days for current processing time , so i should call back ( they told me the samething last week too off by 20 days and today too off by 20 days)..

I called the customer service and they again tell me that the office which interviewed me will make the decision on my case rather than the current local office. I have been getting conflicting info every time I contact someone or call the customer service. They did my second finger prin Marh 05 but then did not hear anything afterward

Congratulations Lardbird!! :D
And I totally agree with you on the Congressman folks not helping at all. In fact we got a standard reply from Barbara Mikulski our Senator that they could not do anything as it was a matter of Department of Homeland Security. We wrote to Ombudsman, local Congressman, Laura Bush, Barbara Mikulski (Senator), not to mention several useless calls to the USCIS customer center, hired 2 separate lawyers to help us find some information...but all was a waste of money, time and unnecessary frustration. They didn't do anything for us that we could not do ourselves. In the end, it was the Aytes Memo that helped us get my card in no time.

My Timeline:

Last edited by a moderator:
I found today that my namecheck "may" have cleared as USCIS now has a copy of my "record". They received these mysterious "records" on March 31, 2008 and the CS agent (second level) told me that my case is waiting to be reviewed. He said it's very good news that they now have my "record" and that I should hear back from them in a month at most.

I know this question has been asked many times before and no one, not even USCIS, probably knows the answer, but how long does it usually take from the namecheck clearance for approval, assuming all the necessary steps have been completed?

finally!

Hi everyone I just got the welcome e-mails last night. I was stuck in the name check for a month or so(see my signature), but I just wanted to advise you on something. I had my interview in Garden City so a month after the interview I went over to check on my case. My name check was cleared(I wonder since when) and because I went personally and checked on it they pulled it out and did everything they were supposed to do, so if you ask me I would go and check on my case. i called uscis before but it didn't help at all so i'd say its better to go in person.

Good luck everyone! it was a long journey, I'm glad its over