FBI name Check Pending

romit said:
I am going to put this on top again since many of us are facing the same sitution and asking questions on this.

Yeah, good idea.

Just so you know, still nothing.

The 45 days that the Ombudsmans office specified will be up next week. My understanding is that, when that happens, they 'demand' a response from USCIS... umm yeah... right... we'll see :cool:

steveva2001 said:
Yeah, good idea.

Just so you know, still nothing.

The 45 days that the Ombudsmans office specified will be up next week. My understanding is that, when that happens, they 'demand' a response from USCIS... umm yeah... right... we'll see :cool:

Thank you Steveva for keeping us up to date.

some of you might see this big article on top. "***Please Help Write a Story for Wall Street Journal ****"

I have written an email to Barry Newmann from WSJ whether he could write an article on this pending name check issue.

Let's see if I get a reply.

Name check

Hello to everyone. I would like to share with you my experience and also to see if anyone is in the same or a similar situation with mine.
On April 2004, after 2 years of waiting, me and my wife(she is U.S. citizen) attended a marriage based interview at the Chicago office. At the end of the interview the officer told us that everything is fine but she couldn't take a decision at that time because they didn't have the name check clearance from FBI, so we have to go home and wait for an answer. Since then a year has passed and we didn't hear anything from them.
I decided to do something, and within this year,I sent a few inquiry letters by myself and also through the local congressman. All the letters were mentioning that the case is still pending and a decision will be taken in a timely manner.
I also filed a FOIPA request and a name check inquiry. The FOIPA request arrived very fast(in about 3 weeks) with a "no records" response and the name check inquiry arrived last week(end of March) saying that the clearance was sent to USCIS in December 2002(!!). So here is my dilemma: why did the officer tell us that she couldn't make a decision(in April 2004) at that time if they had the answer from FBI since December 2002? Could it be that they could have lost the papers? Or is it something hidden like perhaps we didn't have enough proof for the marriage? Did anyone on this forum experience something like that? Thank you in advance, George. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ivesti said:
Hello to everyone. I would like to share with you my experience and also to see if anyone is in the same or a similar situation with mine.
On April 2004, after 2 years of waiting, me and my wife(she is U.S. citizen) attended a marriage based interview at the Chicago office. At the end of the interview the officer told us that everything is fine but she couldn't take a decision at that time because they didn't have the name check clearance from FBI, so we have to go home and wait for an answer. Since then a year has passed and we didn't hear anything from them.
I decided to do something, and within this year,I sent a few inquiry letters by myself and also through the local congressman. All the letters were mentioning that the case is still pending and a decision will be taken in a timely manner.
I also filed a FOIPA request and a name check inquiry. The FOIPA request arrived very fast(in about 3 weeks) with a "no records" response and the name check inquiry arrived last week(end of March) saying that the clearance was sent to USCIS in December 2002(!!). So here is my dilemma: why did the officer tell us that she couldn't make a decision(in April 2004) at that time if they had the answer from FBI since December 2004? Could it be that they could have lost the papers? Or is it something hidden like perhaps we didn't have enough proof for the marriage? Did anyone on this forum experience something like that? Thank you in advance, George. :)

Sorry to hear this story and this makes me more and more nervous since I am on the same boat but only for about 3 months now.

I started this thread but yet to hear a good news from it. all I hear is horror. Hopefully, one day, somebody will give us a good news.

Would you please tell me how you did the name check inquiry? I would like to do that now.

Thank you
Romit

To Romit

Hello, I filed the name check inquiry on December 1, 2004 and I received it on April 6, 2005 (so it took 4 months to receive back the answer). I did it in 2 ways, just to make sure they receive the inquiry: by fax and by email. I received the answer by email and my format was this:

Subject: Name check inquiry
Dear sirs,
I am writing to inquire about the status of the FBI name check request
submited by USCIS.
My information is as follows:

Full Name: -------------
Date of Birth: -----------
Alien Number: -----------
Country of Origin: ---------
E-mail Address: ---------

Thank you in advance.
Sincerely, George

You probably know the email address were you have to send the inquiry, but I'll write it one more time: fbinncp@ic.fbi.gov

If you have any other questions I will be glad to answer and also I will keep you informed with what happens next. Good luck Romit and to all others.

Thank you George.

I sent a similar email the same day we had the interview, January 13, 2005. Hopefully we will receive an email soon.

ivesti,
I would suggest that you go to your DO and show that letter from FBI to immigration officer. or you can show that letter to your congrssman and ask him to follow up on your case. I would prefer the 2nd option since you have waited so long.

Well, I would like to share my experience here, hopefully it would be helpful to someone:

I had an interview on Mar 10,2005. Everything went fine, but "background check" not done yet. The officer said that was supposed to be done within 3 months.

I went back home. First of all, I made a phone call at 304-625-5590 for the fingerprint check. There was a very nice and helpful lady told me that the fingerprint check had been sent to CIS two days after my fingerprint done.

Also she gave me FBI "name check" phone no. 202-324-3000 and email address: fbinncp@ic.fbi.gov. She suggested me to email them first, including my name, date of birth, A number. She was right, I never got a person to talk at that No., but the answer mechine does say email them if you want to know your status of name check.

And then, yesterday, I got the card.

My guess: maybe FBI would do the name check for the one who makes an inquiry first everyday. In that case, it maybe helpful if you send a inquiry before interview or even after fingerprint.

Good luck to everyone!!!

ivesti said:
Hello, I filed the name check inquiry on December 1, 2004 and I received it on April 6, 2005 (so it took 4 months to receive back the answer). I did it in 2 ways, just to make sure they receive the inquiry: by fax and by email. I received the answer by email and my format was this:

Subject: Name check inquiry
Dear sirs,
I am writing to inquire about the status of the FBI name check request
submited by USCIS.
My information is as follows:

Full Name: -------------
Date of Birth: -----------
Alien Number: -----------
Country of Origin: ---------
E-mail Address: ---------

Thank you in advance.
Sincerely, George

You probably know the email address were you have to send the inquiry, but I'll write it one more time: fbinncp@ic.fbi.gov

If you have any other questions I will be glad to answer and also I will keep you informed with what happens next. Good luck Romit and to all others.

Name check and fingerprints

Hello to everyone. As amishah suggested, I went last week(April 5, 2005) to the local congressman's office(this wasn't the first time I visited them) with the name check response from FBI.
The lady who helped me was very nice and she said that will contact USCIS to ask them if they need the results since at the time of the interview they said that the name check wasn't cleared yet(read the postings above).
Second day she called me back and told me that she talked to them and they said that they have already the name check results, but this time they don't have the fingerprints.
I checked when I did last time the fingerprints and it was June 2004, so from what I know they were still valid since one year hasn't passed already. The fingerprints were from my last year's employment authorization application. I called back the congressman's office and the lady who helped me called one more time USCIS to ask them which fingerprints they need. She called me back saying that they need another fingerprints, not the ones for the employment authorization and that they will send me an appointment letter to take the fingerprints.
My question is: which fingerprints are they talking about?Did I miss anything since the interview? Did anyone here have his fingerprints taken? Thank you in advance, George

I did twice fingerprint. One for I-765, one for I-485. So I guess they need yours for I-485, even though you have same fingers ;)

Good luck!!

ivesti said:
Hello to everyone. As amishah suggested, I went last week(April 5, 2005) to the local congressman's office(this wasn't the first time I visited them) with the name check response from FBI.
The lady who helped me was very nice and she said that will contact USCIS to ask them if they need the results since at the time of the interview they said that the name check wasn't cleared yet(read the postings above).
Second day she called me back and told me that she talked to them and they said that they have already the name check results, but this time they don't have the fingerprints.
I checked when I did last time the fingerprints and it was June 2004, so from what I know they were still valid since one year hasn't passed already. The fingerprints were from my last year's employment authorization application. I called back the congressman's office and the lady who helped me called one more time USCIS to ask them which fingerprints they need. She called me back saying that they need another fingerprints, not the ones for the employment authorization and that they will send me an appointment letter to take the fingerprints.
My question is: which fingerprints are they talking about?Did I miss anything since the interview? Did anyone here have his fingerprints taken? Thank you in advance, George

Name check and fingerprints

Hm,interesting :rolleyes: bennv, did you take the fingerprints for the I-485 before or after the interview(if you had an interview)? Did you have to make an appointment yourself or they sent you a letter? George

Last edited by a moderator:
I did fingerprints before the interview. They sent me a Notice of I-485 (with case number and A number), asked me to do the FP. I called the number that they gave me, made an appointment for the FP.

ivesti said:
Hm,interesting :rolleyes: bennv, did you take the fingerprints for the I-485 before or after the interview(if you had an interview)? Did you have to make an appointment yourself or they sent you a letter? George

ivesti said:
they said that they have already the name check results, but this time they don't have the fingerprints.

I've long suspected that all these delays are due to nothing more than a serious breakdown in internal communication and internal procedures at Homeland Security.

I had my fingerprints taken for my AOS back in 2002, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's necessary for another full set to be taken, only this information has gotten lost in the Homeland security system somewhere, and so my case contines to ferment in some pile somewhere.

The sad thing is that, even when they do actually get around to my case again, I will probably never find out what caused the delay, because noone will take responsibility for it...

Oh, and 45 days have long passed now, and there's no word from the Ombudsmans office... of course it could be 45 *working* days, but the letter didn't say that :)

Pending

I agree with you steveva2001. From what I know the fingerprints are valid for a year only.

Romit, I agree Mr. Khanna might be able to suggest a way of navigating this bottleneck.

Btw, did you fax the FOIPA form to the FBI ?