Father/Son relationship

malakai1104

Registered Users (C)
I was wondering if there was anyone out there who as gone in for an interview based on a father/son over 21 years old. Just wanted to know the questions that they ask, and how to be prepared for it.

Unlike spousal relationships, parent-child interviews really just need a birth certificate to prove that the relationship is bonafide :)

they just ask for the birth certificate to prove the relationship.

as far as the question, it is very simple. they ask you all of the "no" questions that you've previously answered on the AOS packet:

- are you married?
- have you been deported?
- are you a communist?
- have you ever been arrested?
etc.

very simple interview.

Thank for you response guys, I did get fine twice, once for have a open bottle of beer on my stoop, and the other time for using my brother student metrocard. Do you think i'll have any problems.

Hello

Hi everyone, so good to have found this thread, I'm in the same situation, but my case is mother/son over 21.
I want to know if is a must to go with your petioner to the interview, eventhought your are an adult and live by your own?
What should I bring in case my mother could not go to the interview with me? could I be denied?

Yes, i believe that your petitioner has to be there with you at the interview. On the interview letter it's tells you what to bring, i'm taking all the application and their supporting document that i had mailed in. I don't know if it's an issue if you dont live with your sponsor.

for adult children, siblings and parents the petitioner is usually not invited to the interview. ANd, no, you don't have to live with your sponsor.

oops i didn't know that. I called the 1800 number and they told me that i my petitioner should be there with me. just for my info can you tell me where you found or got you info from.

I'm an adult and my interview notice stated that my petitioner had to be present (father). good thing he was there because they had lost my I-130 and we had to fill a new one out at the IO's desk. don't take any chances, take your parent with you.

of course, it's important to do what the invitation letter say. Lately, though, the applications for parents of US citizens have been approved without any interviews at all.

my apology for misquoting you lucymo, so do you know why some petitioners don't have to go to the interview. On my interview letter is only says what to bring if i hadn't mail it in already, and my spouce if based on marriage. since it's not marriage based i guess my stepfather doesn't have to go with me. If thats the case does it means that i get approved on the spot.

since it's not marriage based i guess my stepfather doesn't have to go with me. If thats the case does it means that i get approved on the spot.

do not assume that he doesn't have to go because the letter doesn't state it. if he isn't required to be present, fine he waits for you in the waiting area. if you show up without him and the IO has to cancel the interview you are going to be screwed and complicate the process.

you may not be approved on the spot. you could be missing some papers -- they lost my i-130 -- which will require an RFE or they may inform you that your background check has not cleared.

1. i am almost certain that the interview notice states that "
if it is is a parent child relationship and the child is a minor then the petitioning parent must be present" isn't that crystal clear that if you are over 21, then you are not a minor and it simply means that the parent does not have to be present at the interview.

anyway , i am in a similar situation so tell me the outcome of the interview...

Chromedout

You are absolutely right, i talked it over with my stepdad and we decided that he would show up and just wait until i'm done, and be there just in case they need some info from him or something. :D

Mother/son over 21

Hi guys thanks for your responses, although some got me confused.
Does my mother have to go with me or not??
I just got my interview letter yesterday, and It says only if your are under 18 that you have to go with your parent, but I don't want to take any chances.
One call the 1-800 number and they never have an accurate answer, they're just operators in a call center and not really immigration experts. They don't tell you nothing that you can not check in the web...
Anyone in my situation that has already gone to the interview??

He's my stepfather, and they ask him about my mother. The interview was easy... name address, date of birth, and all the no answers on from i485. that was it