FAQs about Asylee Green Card Process & Other things.

Congrats Shyam Kapoor, how much fee did you pay for Green card application, biomatrics and Medical etc?
1 principal ($1140 Application + $85 Biometrics fee) and 3 derivative ($750 Each for Child no Biometrics fee for the child below age of 14)) applicant fees
Medical fee varies depend on your pocket, I have checked 4 0r 5 Doctors but picked the cheapest one in the area which is $700 for the family of 4.
I did not use the lawyer for my application, if you follow the instruction guide line you will make no mistake and save a huge mount of money by not using a lawyer.

Thanks.
Shyam Kumar

1 principal ($1140 Application + $85 Biometrics fee) and 3 derivative ($750 Each for Child no Biometrics fee for the child below age of 14)) applicant fees
Medical fee varies depend on your pocket, I have checked 4 0r 5 Doctors but picked the cheapest one in the area which is $700 for the family of 4.
I did not use the lawyer for my application, if you follow the instruction guide line you will make no mistake and save a huge mount of money by not using a lawyer.

Thanks.
Shyam Kumar
Hello Shyam Kumar,
Have you got your GC or not?

It has been very helpful coming all the way from I-589 application to getting I-485 Approval as an asylee.
Thank you so much for all forum users who has been contributing and sharing their experience .

My Time line is as follows:

I-589 Application submitted----------- November 6th 2013
Biotmetrics Done----------------------November 24th 2013
1st EAD ---------------------------------April 28th 2014
2nd EAD Renewal----------------------May 10th 2015
Interview Done ------------------------December 7th 2015
Recommended Approval-------------December 24th 2015
Final Approval-------------------------January 21st 2016
I-485 Application Submitted---------February 9th 2017
Receipt Notice-------------------------February 13th 2017
Biometrics Done----------------------March 30th 2017
Approval-------------------------------May 17th 2017
Card production and mailed (3 months 8 days in total)---------May 17th 2017

Expecting to get my Green card in the mail with in a week.
Was your card backdated? Curious

I got NJ driver's license as Asylee now
They gave me just 1 year...with "limited" sign :-(
Supervisor said I am NOT resident, so I am not able to get normal 4 year license... anyone experienced this?
Also, she (Supervisor in DMV NJ) said that my Asylee status is valid only 1 year ... However, my i-94 says "asylum granted indefinitely"

Error on their part. These people, the DMV people, the HR people, etc, they are ignorant about immigration. The average American doesn't know that it is horrendous to come here legally or to regularize status. Why did you give them you i-94? You should have given them your unrestricted social security card + grant of asylum letter + your country of origin passport, if you still had it. I lived in NJ, so i'm pretty familiar with their requirements. Lesson: Bringing wrong/unfamiliar stuff to the DMV, to these ignorant people, you get weird results. Good news: All is not lost. A few months before the license expires, get the right documentation, go to a different DMV and try again. Good luck!

Error on their part. These people, the DMV people, the HR people, etc, they are ignorant about immigration. The average American doesn't know that it is horrendous to come here legally or to regularize status. Why did you give them you i-94? You should have given them your unrestricted social security card + grant of asylum letter + your country of origin passport, if you still had it. I lived in NJ, so i'm pretty familiar with their requirements. Lesson: Bringing wrong/unfamiliar stuff to the DMV, to these ignorant people, you get weird results. Good news: All is not lost. A few months before the license expires, get the right documentation, go to a different DMV and try again. Good luck!

I gave her grant asylum letter plus stamped i-94 (for dmv points), I am still waiting for my unrestricted ssn card
she was so mean to me, she said I am just a guest here , and unless I don't have 10 year green card they will not issue me anything else..

@7of9, the DMV people deal with literally thousands of people every day. The vast majority of them have straightforward cases so no they do not know every little nuance of every type of immigrant. Repeatedly calling them “ignorant” in your post just sounds rude. If one day you are in a job where you have to deal with countless people daily and do not always know every little thing, hopefully you will have more understanding clients.

@SusieQQQ I apologize if stating the facts is rude. Over 17 yrs, I have come across such people in states I have lived in. If they don't know the facts, please advise me what descriptor I should use to describe them? I hold these people to a high standard as they should know this infor, that is why i use the word ignorant. I sincerely apologize for you not liking the word. Please advise me which word to use. Thank you.

Uninformed, unaware, lacking knowledge on immigration etc
The term ignorant usually has a pejorative connotation. You can use words that have a similar meaning without the insulting implication.

I’m still not sure why you expect every official you come into contact with to know all the facts about every single type of immigrant and all their particular connotations. Usually, I find a bit of patience and explaining goes much further than being rude and insulting because not everyone I come into contact with understands every nuance of my situation. YMMV.

Uninformed, unaware, lacking knowledge on immigration etc
The term ignorant usually has a pejorative connotation. You can use words that have a similar meaning without the insulting implication.

I’m still not sure why you expect every official you come into contact with to know all the facts about every single type of immigrant and all their particular connotations. Usually, I find a bit of patience and explaining goes much further than being rude and insulting because not everyone I come into contact with understands every nuance of my situation. YMMV.
I have to agree with you, there are choice of words to explain the process in DMVs- They are not ignorant , I was an asylum granted individual who earned a living dealing with countless people daily at public office, in a Tristate Area of Washington, Oregon and ID. As an individual who had to recite regulations to clients how in different states law governs who gets an ID OR DL and how long? what points gives someone and what real ID law says- Your ID or DL by REAL ID is issued based on what they have in hand-Hard copies! Many states have Consumer advisory committee to advise DMV ON IMMIGRATION- There are meeting agendas that have covered this (Google) I did a ppt of Class of Admissions in US immigration and we used DHS handbooks to explain. We have to sometimes have patience to prove and tell our stories, they are not ignorant.

I have to agree with you, there are choice of words to explain the process in DMVs- They are not ignorant , I was an asylum granted individual who earned a living dealing with countless people daily at public office, in a Tristate Area of Washington, Oregon and ID. As an individual who had to recite regulations to clients how in different states law governs who gets an ID OR DL and how long? what points gives someone and what real ID law says- Your ID or DL by REAL ID is issued based on what they have in hand-Hard copies! Many states have Consumer advisory committee to advise DMV ON IMMIGRATION- There are meeting agendas that have covered this (Google) I did a ppt of Class of Admissions in US immigration and we used DHS handbooks to explain. We have to sometimes have patience to prove and tell our stories, they are not ignorant.

okay, so what do you recommend? how can I get normal DL? thanks.

Hi.
2 weeks back I applied for EAD after 180 days. Today I received the receipt letter and when I track my case with the EAD receipt number it says my case is in process.
May I know how long does it take to process ?

Hi.
2 weeks back I applied for EAD after 180 days. Today I received the receipt letter and when I track my case with the EAD receipt number it says my case is in process.
May I know how long does it take to process ?
expect to wait up to 120 days , mine took 93 days .

I'll be reaching my 1 year asylum anniversary in early February. I plan on re-hiring my attorney to handle my AOS. About how long in advance should I start the process? Is it pretty straight forward and just a matter of filling out the application? I don't think it's necessary to come up with mountains of evidence and documents again, is it? Is getting the physical examination what takes the longest? Thanks!

I'll be reaching my 1 year asylum anniversary in early February. I plan on re-hiring my attorney to handle my AOS. About how long in advance should I start the process? Is it pretty straight forward and just a matter of filling out the application? I don't think it's necessary to come up with mountains of evidence and documents again, is it? Is getting the physical examination what takes the longest? Thanks!
Give yourself at least a month and to be safe 2. The physical examination takes some time to schedule it and get the results. Prepare everything in advance and have it ready to mail after you become eligible. I would recommend hiring an attorney as they know the process better than we do. Mine helped me gather documents I didn't think were needed.
One thing the medical exam has to be within 60 days of filing the application. Don't do it next week if you can only apply in february.