FAQs about Asylee Green Card Process & Other things.

This is indeed bad and scary news. If I may venture some speculation here, I want to believe refugees/asylees will be OK or exempt. I want to believe the main restrictions here will be upon NEW work-related or study-related applications into the US, as well as non-immediate family sponsored visas. Since refugees/asylees are not economic migrants, suspending all immigration to "protect jobs" shouldn't affect refugees then. Of course with this administration, you never know. So everybody cross your fingers, and let's hope for the best. <collective hug>
Yeah, that's scary news. This article has better background information.

This is speculation but I think he will block immigration for the following:

1. HB1 Visas - the govt. hates this program.
2. Family Based Employment Green Cards - He has called this chain migration, so they will likely target/block this.
3. Diversity Lottery Visas - This is easy target as it is run by the state department, and involves foreigners
4. F1 Student visa - I don't think this is an easy target. Universities will cry foul...and they get billions from this visa. But they could block it, which doesn't make sense since it is a non-immigrant visa.
5. Asylee/Refugees - They have already but this severely. Technically, they can stop supporting refugee resettlement. For asylees, this is nothing new here. They have already been carrying out instant deportations for undocumented/etc asylees on the southern border. The question is, what will they do with the ones already in the US? What about those in pending cases?
6. Family Based Green Cards (not employment based) - as as (2) above.

While in the news they might claim 'suspension' in adjudication of the cases, they can effectively ban approvals/processing/etc.

This doesn't look good.

Very bad part? Possible this admin might be given another 4 years in office.

Last edited:
This is indeed bad and scary news. If I may venture some speculation here, I want to believe refugees/asylees will be OK or exempt. I want to believe the main restrictions here will be upon NEW work-related or study-related applications into the US, as well as non-immediate family sponsored visas. Since refugees/asylees are not economic migrants, suspending all immigration to "protect jobs" shouldn't affect refugees then. Of course with this administration, you never know. So everybody cross your fingers, and let's hope for the best. <collective hug>

As an ex-Asylee, I feel that this administration hates asylum more than any other category. When I got my asylum back in early 2013, hardly anyone knew asylum was never in the media. Then the Arab exodus happened in Europe and the media started talking about it, people were paranoid and then Trump capitalized on it. In fact, he does consider refugees as economic migrants. I clearly remember his press conferences talking about refugees with expensive smartphones and designer clothes. I suspect this order will be crafted to suspend most classes of immigrants with exceptions for healthcare and farm workers. It will be upheld by courts since scotus already ruled that president has broad powers on 212(f) and since he is not banning immigration by race or country, it is unlikely to be considered as targeting race/nationality by the courts. I guess we will have to wait and watch.

2. Family Based Employment Green Cards - He has called this chain migration, so they will likely target/block this.
3. Diversity Lottery Visas - This is easy target as it is run by the state department, and involves foreigners
4. F1 Student visa - I don't think this is an easy target. Universities will cry foul...and they get billions from this visa. But they could block it, which doesn't make sense since it is a non-immigrant visa.
5. Asylee/Refugees - They have already but this severely. Technically, they can stop supporting refugee resettlement. For asylees, this is nothing new here. They have already been carrying out instant deportations for undocumented/etc asylees on the southern border. The question is, what will they do with the ones already in the US? What about those in pending cases?

While in the news they might claim 'suspension' in adjudication of the cases, they can effectively ban approvals/processing/etc.

This doesn't look good.

The president is expected on Tuesday evening to announce a temporary pause in the issuance of most green cards
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/21/us/coronavirus-live-news-updates.html#link-57117970

Hi everyone,
i filed my asylum case with 3 kids, 8 months ago and now i want to apply EAD (i-765).
how can i get social security card for my kids. is there any way to get SS for my kids.
thanks.

This doesn't look good.

Most of the speculation above, seems to be coming true.

Hi everyone,
i filed my asylum case with 3 kids, 8 months ago and now i want to apply EAD (i-765).
how can i get social security card for my kids. is there any way to get SS for my kids.
thanks.
I applied for asylum with my 5 year old son and I had to apply for a EAD card for him to get a social security card.

I need some advice from you all. I was granted asylum last August and I am planning to submit my I-485 application in the next few weeks. My EAD expires in July 2021. Since I do not have intentions to go through an attorney, I would like to ask you a few questions for clarification.

1. When I file my i485 would it be wise for me to apply for my EAD (I-765) together with I485 even though there is around 10 months left for expiration? Would there be any grounds for denial of such an EAD application?

2. Based on new fee hikes announced today, will it be even wise for me to apply for an Advance Parole as well together with my I485 application so that I would avoid the October fee hike?

3. Assuming the answer is YES above, if I apply for I485, AP and EAD together, should I put all these three forms into one packet and send it as ONE MAIL or should I mail each of these forms separately to different addresses with the relevant supporting documents?

Please kindly advice me. I highly appreciate your opinion.

Further, with regard to I 485 requirement to prove continuous physical presence in USA, I do not have a utility bill under my name. However, I have a lease that begins from October 2019 and not August 2019 (my asylum grant month). Also my paystub only begins from December 2019 which is 3 months after asylum grant.

Only document I can think of having continuosly for last one year is bank statements. Should I use this to I was resident in this country. What would be the ideal document for me to prove my physical presence? Please advice me? grocery receipts, but which exact month for this is needed. I am confused about this requirement. Pls advise.

I need some advice from you all. I was granted asylum last August and I am planning to submit my I-485 application in the next few weeks. My EAD expires in July 2021. Since I do not have intentions to go through an attorney, I would like to ask you a few questions for clarification.

1. When I file my i485 would it be wise for me to apply for my EAD (I-765) together with I485 even though there is around 10 months left for expiration? Would there be any grounds for denial of such an EAD application?

2. Based on new fee hikes announced today, will it be even wise for me to apply for an Advance Parole as well together with my I485 application so that I would avoid the October fee hike?

3. Assuming the answer is YES above, if I apply for I485, AP and EAD together, should I put all these three forms into one packet and send it as ONE MAIL or should I mail each of these forms separately to different addresses with the relevant supporting documents?

Please kindly advice me. I highly appreciate your opinion.
1- Even tho EAD is not compulsory to work, its always better to have it. I applied my I-485 in feb and my EAD expires in October I’m still applying and will be sending my application on Monday.
2- When you apply for I-485 and your application is pending, you’re Application and biometrics fees are waived both for travel document and for EAD renewal. You do not have to pay any additional fee for it.
3- You can send out all together just make sure you separate them through paper clip. DO NOT STAPLE.

Further, with regard to I 485 requirement to prove continuous physical presence in USA, I do not have a utility bill under my name. However, I have a lease that begins from October 2019 and not August 2019 (my asylum grant month). Also my paystub only begins from December 2019 which is 3 months after asylum grant.

Only document I can think of having continuosly for last one year is bank statements. Should I use this to I was resident in this country. What would be the ideal document for me to prove my physical presence? Please advice me? grocery receipts, but which exact month for this is needed. I am confused about this requirement. Pls advise.
I don’t think I gave any additional evidence for my stay. I just filled it on the form.
I’m not really sure about this but maybe because I’ve lived on the same address from the last 3 years.

1- Even tho EAD is not compulsory to work, its always better to have it. I applied my I-485 in feb and my EAD expires in October I’m still applying and will be sending my application on Monday.
2- When you apply for I-485 and your application is pending, you’re Application and biometrics fees are waived both for travel document and for EAD renewal. You do not have to pay any additional fee for it.
3- You can send out all together just make sure you separate them through paper clip. DO NOT STAPLE.
You can also send your I-485 application first and then after you receive your receipt, Send your EAD and travel document application together.
I’m sending my EAD renewal and travel document application together, separated by paper clips and Have added I-485 receipt and asylum approval notice.

Hey guys I need your valuable opinion regarding RTD.

My Asylum was approved in Oct'18, so in May'19, I applied for passport renewal only to have an additional Identification. I didn't know at the time that it would create any issue. I never had any intentions of traveling back to my home country now or ever.

So, while filing I-131, Application for Refugee Travel Document. There is a question on Part 6, 3.b Since you were accorded refugee/asylee status, have you ever applied for and/or entry permit of the country? My answer is 'Yes' but it mentions that "If you answer "YES" to any of the following questions, you must explain on a separate sheet of paper. Include your name and A-number on top of each sheet.

Did any one here had any similar experience? Even if not, your opinion is appreciated. I want to know how to answer that question.

Thanks

im filling out i485 & just checking if there is something called a 'priority date for underlying petition' for asylees?

what does it mean? Receipt number of I589?

Thank you.

Sorry one more question, what is the I94 number we should use for Question 23a.

New I94 card after asylum or the number on electronic I94?

Hi everyone,
i filed my asylum case with 3 kids, 8 months ago, and now i want to apply EAD (i-765).
thanks.

Do you have a reason for the kids to get SSN? Do you have the EADs already?
SSN is only given to only noncitizens authorized to work in the United States by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can get a Social Security number. Social Security numbers are used to report a person's wages to the government and to determine a person's eligibility for Social Security benefits.

Ssa.gov. 2020. Social Security Numbers For Noncitizens. [online] Available at: <https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10096.pdf> [Accessed 24 August 2020].