Family GC for Brother/Sister CP India

n400_oaths

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
I am Naturalized USC. I wanted to apply GC for my brother "family based". His 21st birthday will start in April 2009. Now I was looking best options to get him the GC.

As i have read GC for my brother normally I-130 CP will be anywhere between 8years to 15years(India). So to get a shorter route I looked at another option and i wanted GC Gurus to advice me of their opinions.

I plan the apply GC for my mother I-130 (CP India) shortly. As parents are at higher preference she must get her GC within a year if all is OK. At that time since my brother is less than 21 years ,i want my mother to file GC for my brother.

The questions are:-
1. Have i chosen the best way to process ?
2. Once my mother gets her GC approved how early she must be into US? Is there a time frame like 6months to be in the US and where is actual GC issued for CP applicants.
3.How long will it take for my brother to get his GC based on my mothers GC?
4.Does the 21 years limit be considered the day he GC is approved or GC filing date?

Your comments appreciated!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my details confused you!!!!!!!!

1.)I am US Citizen and how long will it take for my mother to get her GC through me?

2.) Once my mother has her GC, my brother can file his GC through my mother GC since he is dependent as he less than 21 years,so how long will my brother's GC's take?

Hope this helps.

immigration through your mother would pretty much take the same time, if she doesn't become a US citizen (11-12 years), and only about 6-7 years if she becomes a US citizen.

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_3219.html

I think my details confused you!!!!!!!!

1.)I am US Citizen and how long will it take for my mother to get her GC through me?

9-12 months if all goes well

2.) Once my mother has her GC, my brother can file his GC through my mother GC since he is dependent as he less than 21 years,so how long will my brother's GC's take?

Under 21 would be family 2A, with a current wait time of 6 years for India.
Over 21 would be family 2B, with current wait of 15 years for India.

N400_oaths,
I think the quickest (relative) route for your brother to get GC will be for you to immediately sponsor your mother. Say that takes a year, so we are talking April 2008. She comes over to the US and sponsors your brother under F2A. Within a year he will move to F2B. Your mother will be 4 years (plus 1 year processing time) away from becoming a US citizen. Once she does become a citizen, your brother (assuming he does not get married) will move to F1. He will retain the original priority date from his F2A. I am guessing that F1 for that priority date will then be current, but one can never assume that for sure. So all in all, he would still be a year away from that point. So we are talking about 1(Mother's GC)+1(F2A)+5(F2B and mother waits to naturalise)+1(brother's GC process time) years from today.

Last edited by a moderator: