Family based I-130/I-485

Fingerprinting appointment fiasco...

Hey Tinkermann,

I tried that walking-in at the Cincinnati office & they said that by law they need the appointment letter. I called the 1-800 number (totally crazy) & the lady told me to call back tomorrow coz she had no appointment times available!! Is that even possible?? I told her that it took me forever to get thru' & she said, I understand, but call back tomm at 8!! So, I'm quite irritated by this. Any other brain waves?? Think I should try Infopass??
-Rappu

I called the 1-800 number again & another lady answered who gave me a date & time. Isn't that wierd.... that 2 hrs. later I get a date & time. The 1st lady was mean!! She told me that she'd give me a date & time for Columbus or Cleveland if I wanted, but not for Cincinnati!! Go figure. I was hoping that Infopass would let me schedule the appointment, but that's not for fingerprinting!

-R

rappu said:
Hey Tinkermann,

I tried that walking-in at the Cincinnati office & they said that by law they need the appointment letter. I called the 1-800 number (totally crazy) & the lady told me to call back tomorrow coz she had no appointment times available!! Is that even possible?? I told her that it took me forever to get thru' & she said, I understand, but call back tomm at 8!! So, I'm quite irritated by this. Any other brain waves?? Think I should try Infopass??
-Rappu
Rappu,
I don't know of any appointment letter. The only thing you get after scheduling an appointment at the 800 number is a confirmation number.... no letters. I took my notice letter from CIS where it mentions that your application has been received and that you must schedule an appointment for fingerprinting by calling the 1-800 number... and my personal identification. I also have had a pretty good experience (so far) from the people at the 800 number. Maybe the rep you talked to was having a bad day.

-Tinkerman

Question on Notice date& Receipt Date

I applied to MSC/NBC:
RD: 7/21/04
ND:08//05/04

But when I check the status online it says:

"Your I131 APPLICATION FOR BCIS TRAVEL DOCUMENT was received on August 5, 2004" which is supposed to be my notice date.

Are the dates messed up, or is the notice date given online?

And also one more question for processing dates online should we check with our receipt date or notice date.

Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
rappu said:
Hey Tinkermann,

-Rappu
Hey Rappu,
I understand what you meen about the 1-800 number, I think it is like any customer service line, sometimes you get through to someone who hates their job and takes it out on you, sometimes you get a really nice person. I've found that if I don't get the answer I want, I just call back and sometimes get someone better.
As for the appointment letter, did you make sure to bring in 797c - Notice of Action (receipt letter) for your I-485 or I765? That was the only appointment letter I needed, and it says right on that form what you need to bring to your appointment.
Good Luck!

Online status not updated

Hi All,
I had my FP done for my I765 on 9/18/2004. And for my I485 I had them done on 10/2/2004. The online status of my I485 was updated on 10/8/2004 to read "On October 6, 2004, the results of your fingerprint review for your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status were received, and processing has resumed on your case.". However, the status of my I765 was updated on 9/21/2004 but it still says "Your I765 APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION was received on.....". Does this mean that they did not receive my fingerprint results. I will call the 1-800 number on Monday, but wanted to know if anyone else had a similar situation and if this is a reason to worry. I need the EAD asap and want to make sure that there are no glitches in its processing.

Thanks,
Tinkerman

tinkerman said:
Hi All,
I had my FP done for my I765 on 9/18/2004. And for my I485 I had them done on 10/2/2004. The online status of my I485 was updated on 10/8/2004 to read "On October 6, 2004, the results of your fingerprint review for your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status were received, and processing has resumed on your case.". However, the status of my I765 was updated on 9/21/2004 but it still says "Your I765 APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION was received on.....". Does this mean that they did not receive my fingerprint results. I will call the 1-800 number on Monday, but wanted to know if anyone else had a similar situation and if this is a reason to worry. I need the EAD asap and want to make sure that there are no glitches in its processing.

Thanks,
Tinkerman
I think they only show I-485 FP updates but not for I-765. I did FP twice . Once for I-485 (07/20), and fo I765 (08/28) because I sent I-765 separetely not along with the initial docs. My I-485 Fp were reviewed within one week - updated, but nothing for the I-765. I guess yuo'll receive the card or at least an e-mail note for approval. I dont think it's something to worry about.

I-130 question

Graciella said:
I sent in an I-130 application since March, 2003 (spouse of GC holder) and the case status online says it will take 540 to 570 days to process this case. It is now a few days over 570 days since I applied. How current is the information published on the case status website and how soon do you think I will be able to proceed to the I-485 stage?

Why didn't you apply for your 485 along with the I-130? It'll take longer this way. I'm not a pro at this but I sent in both the I-485 and I-130 at the same time for my mom.

I didn't know I could do them both at the same time. I thought I needed approval for the I-130 before I could proceed to the I-485 and I-765.
When did you send in the I-130 for your mom? Have you got a response? Are you a citizen or GC holder?

You can't file them at the same time. This privilege is reserved for immediate relatives of US citizens.

Since you are a spouse of a GC holder, the approval of I-130 doesn't really help you now. You still have to wait until a visa number becomes available to you, and then you can file for AOS. Currently the waiting period for people in your category is about 5 years. You can look at the dates on Visa bulletin at www.travel.state.gov

5 years?

Please clarify - the wait time is 5 years to get a response to the I-130 application, or a total of 5 years to get the GC from the start of the whole process?

Please save yourself from lot of mis-information and second guesses by going thru the USCIS website for Visa Category Dates .....
I-130 is severely backlogged for Permanent Residents spouses category...

Graciella said:
Please clarify - the wait time is 5 years to get a response to the I-130 application, or a total of 5 years to get the GC from the start of the whole process?

I have looked at the USCIS website but I am trying to get personal experience information from you guys, if possible. Has anyone gone through this recently, and how long did it really take to get an approval for the I-130, despite what the USCIS posted on the website (which does not seem to be accurate).

where did you file your I-130?

The new rule has come out that I-130 for which a visa number is not immediately available will be adjuducated close to the date when a visa number is available. That is, if you filed your I-130 in March 2003, on the basis of marriage to a GC holder, you look at the visa bulletin at
http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/frvi_bulletin.html
You will see that the visa numbers are now available to those who (in your category 2A) filed I-130 BEFORE June 1, 2000. So, it takes about 4.5 years to get a visa number available in this category. You filed in March 2003 -- add 4.5-5 years to it, and you will get the approximate date when your visa number will become available. That's when you can finally file for AOS or do CP.

So, it doesn't matter when I-130 is approved - you still have to wait for a visa number.

Update!

Hi, here's an update,

All forms were filed in NYC forwarded to NBC, I-130, I-765, and I-485 I had to resend payment to chicago, the supporting documents for my efiled I-131 were sent to Lee's Summit MO.

I-102 ND July 20 '04
I-130 ND July 30 '04
I-485 ND July 30 '04
I-765 ND July 30 '04

Fingerprints Aug 12.

I-102 approved Sept 29, received new I-94 Oct 4
I-765 approved Oct 6, received card Oct 13

I-131 ND Oct 7 (efiled)
(hoping to travel in November, we'll see)
good luck all,

Please Advice-Thanks

Hi, Iamanew member and Iam really impressedwiththecontentsofthisportal.Myproblemisthatinallmyrecordsmylastnameisdifferntf orExifmylastname is Smith inall my records it is listed as smith but inmy green card it is smit, now what should Ido in myN400application.CanIstillapply without changing my green card. Smitis the name by which my uncle applied mycard so its not mistake by INS hewas notawarethatIusethelastnameasSmith.Sounder part 1aIputlastnameasSmithandin b)Iputlastname as Smit and Inc)whichis ifIhaveusedsomeothernamestherealsoIlisted Smit.is it abigdealorIcanjustgoahead andapplyandincludecopyofmyIndiapassport,SSNcardand driverlicense for support. Icalled the customer service for INS 1person told me that not a problem just include the DOb certificate second time Icalled some person told me that I have togetthereplacementgreencard&pay$185.ButIreallythinkI should not be doing thatbecIdeally have not changed my name.PleaseadviseI would really appreciate it. Thanks

Hi, Iamanew member and Iam really impressedwiththecontentsofthisportal.Myproblemisthatinallmyrecordsmylastnameisdifferntf orExifmylastname is Smith inall my records it is listed as smith but inmy green card it is smit, now what should Ido in myN400application.CanIstillapply without changing my green card. Smitis the name by which my uncle applied mycard so its not mistake by INS hewas notawarethatIusethelastnameasSmith.Sounder part 1aIputlastnameasSmithandin b)Iputlastname as Smit and Inc)whichis ifIhaveusedsomeothernamestherealsoIlisted Smit.is it abigdealorIcanjustgoahead andapplyandincludecopyofmyIndiapassport,SSNcardand driverlicense for support. Icalled the customer service for INS 1person told me that not a problem just include the DOb certificate second time Icalled some person told me that I have togetthereplacementgreencard&pay$185.ButIreallythinkI should not be doing thatbecIdeally have not changed my name.PleaseadviseI would really appreciate it. Thanks

Replace your keyboard as space bar on ur keyboard doesnt work.

sunny_1000 said: