Failed to signup for selective service

How to handle question about Selective Service?

My Interview letter says that I need to bring proof of registration on the selective service. I requested the status letter but I havent received the selective service status letter yet. In my interview letter, it says that I need this letter so I requested it.
I entered USA as a F1 Visa when I was 22, and was then changed to H1B Visa until I was 31. I got my GC at 31 yo and thats when I enetred for teh first time into US with my greencard as a permanent resident (before that I would enter as a non immigrant under H1B) .... and then filed for citizeship now, at age 36.... per the selective service web site, i didnt need to register because I was a non immigrant from age 18-26. Anyone else has any input on this?
Shoudl I be scared on teh interview? I think I marked "no" on the N400 form because I entered US as a resident when I was 31. Any advice on how to handle it in teh interview if it comes up?

hma9193: I am in similar situation. Here is what I took with me to the interview. A copy of online search returning no records for your SS registration. A statement written/typed by you stating why you did not register and get it notarized.

in my case, IO never asked for anything related to selective service., probably cos i am over 26 may be.

Help: Selective Service Letter with N-400 Application

Hi,

I came to US in 1999 on a tourist visa and then converted into F1. Then after 6 months got out of status because the I-20 was only issued for 6 months instead of a fulla cademic year. Then i applied for reinstatment and got reinstated in F1 status. Stayed on F1 till I got married in 2008 and got GC in 2009 at the age of 27. Now I am 31 and looking to do my N-400. I understand that i am 31 so i shouldn't worry about it. But since i was out of status for a little bit, that make me be in a status other than non-immigrant from 18-26. I never registered through SSS becuase i didn't know something like this existed untill i am reading application instruction for n-400

Question:

Should i check "Yes" on question 33 that i was in a status other than non-immigrant and write a letter explaining that i didn't know about it untill now.

Or should i check "No" on question 33 that i did not live in any other status other than non-immigrant. I am confused becuase i did get reinstated back into F1. With the reinstatement does that mean that i have always been in non-immigrant status or not.

Please advise. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

On form I-485 there is a paragraph that if your application is approved USCIS will forward your information to Selective Service System.

In my case they didn't forward anything even though they approved I-485. So now I have to send copies of GC, I485 and letter with my information explaining what went wrong. I'm sending this to Palatine, IL.

Good job USCIS

edit: oh btw... I was 25 yr old when my AOS took place.

Hi Folks,

I received my Green Card through my Parents and the entered the country for the first time when I was 22. But I was unaware of requirement to enroll in Selective Service . I am 28 now and I am planning to apply for US Citizenship soon and I came across the mandated rule for registering in Selective Service.

I have requested a Status information Letter from Selective Service explaining them that I was unaware of the rule when I entered the Country for the first time and I came to know about it now .

Two days ago I received a Registration acknowledgement from Selective Service , So Can I go ahead and apply for my Citizenship now or will be still receiving any further no-objection document from Selective Service ?

I have also read few posts in the forum that If I wait until I am 31-32 I would have better chance in getting the Citizenship as I failed to register with Selective Service before I was 26 . Will this be true in my case too ?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Rohit

Selective service question

so i applied for a US citizenship way back in 2008, i got denied for failing to register for selective service.. i recieved a letter that i have to apply after my 31st birthday. i just turned 31 last week.. so my question now is how, do i still need to write them a letter stating that i failed to register for the selective service? or just put no on the answer? im filing up a N400 right now and i dont know what to do with part.. can somebody please help me so i can pass this form already.. thank you guys

When I got green card, I was 24. I remember I received a letter from SSS (probably registration), but I no longer have that letter.

And since then I have changed my physical address in the U.S. maybe 100 times. I always notified USCIS but I never changed my address with the SSS.

Is that a problem? I will be applying for naturalization when I am 29 or 30 years-old. Will I be denied?

I don't think you will. As long as your are actually registered it's fine. Trust me, they will find you when they will need you!

Selective service information

I arrived here with a B1-B2 Visa in 1995. At that time I was 22 years old. With this type of visa I had a six months permission to stay as a visitor. However, I didn't return to my Country until I became a permanent resident in 05/2004 I was already 31 years old and I never heard of the Selective Service. We even had a lawyer prepared and file my application to become a permanent resident and he never mentioned Selective Service.

So as for the question. "Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant? I guess my answer should be Yes?...

If I say yes then, should I just attach a statement explaining why I did not register to the N-400 application? or
should I file a request for "Status information letter" from the Selective Service?, or should I do both.

If someone could help please and thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're over 31 years of age, which makes the Selective Service issue moot. It's outside of the statutory period.

So just send n-400 with the copy of the b1 b2visa and explain that I really didn't know about Selective Service until now?

So just send n-400 with the copy of the b1 b2visa and explain that I really didn't know about Selective Service until now?

It can't hurt. However, when you attend the interview, the IO will know that you're over 31 and failure to register for Selective Service won't be an issue.

I arrived here with a B1-B2 Visa in 1995. At that time I was 22 years old. With this type of visa I had a six months permission to stay as a visitor. However, I didn't return to my Country until I became a permanent resident in 05/2004 I was already 31 years old and I never heard of the Selective Service. We even had a lawyer prepared and file my application to become a permanent resident and he never mentioned Selective Service.

So as for the question. "Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant? I guess my answer should be Yes?...

If I say yes then, should I just attach a statement explaining why I did not register to the N-400 application? or
should I file a request for "Status information letter" from the Selective Service?, or should I do both.

If someone could help please and thank you.

This chart should help you in terms of who should of registered for the Selective Service: http://www.sss.gov/PDFs/WhoMustRegisterChart.pdf

Hi all,

I'm a US citizen by birth. I and my family moved out of the States when I was only about 9 months. I have lived in Finland ever since.

I wanted to renew my old US passport and visited consulate and everything went well. Now that I graduated I'm planning to move (back) to the States. I Just turned 26 and learned that I should have signed to Selective Service.

Can this be a problem ? I won't be needing any federal benefits or anything. I'll have job ready and I will rent an apartment.

I see that I might not be required to sign because I have been non immigrant between age 18 and 26. But I'm dual citizen so I'm not quite sure.

Thanks for your help!

Hi all,

I'm a US citizen by birth. I and my family moved out of the States when I was only about 9 months. I have lived in Finland ever since.

I wanted to renew my old US passport and visited consulate and everything went well. Now that I graduated I'm planning to move (back) to the States. I Just turned 26 and learned that I should have signed to Selective Service.

Can this be a problem ? I won't be needing any federal benefits or anything. I'll have job ready and I will rent an apartment.

I see that I might not be required to sign because I have been non immigrant between age 18 and 26. But I'm dual citizen so I'm not quite sure.

Thanks for your help!

This is not an issue at all.

selective service problem

I just did my citizenship interview & pass the test but a decision cannot be met because im 29 yrs old & didn't have sign up for selective service & now the interview officer sed I need a registration #,date registered,status information letter & affidavit stating why I didn't registered..i don't even know where to start. :(