Extended stay?

unclocked

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
My J1 visa (hotel management related) expires on August 30th. Is it possible for me to stay for a couple of weeks more? I plan to come back to US again sometime soon. I would like to know if extended stay would cause any problems should I apply for either J1 or H1 visa again in future.

TIA.

Hello,
My J1 visa (hotel management related) expires on August 30th. Is it possible for me to stay for a couple of weeks more? I plan to come back to US again sometime soon. I would like to know if extended stay would cause any problems should I apply for either J1 or H1 visa again in future.

TIA.

You have 30 days grace period after the last day of the DS expiration or termination of the J whatever sooner. After that you will be considered out of status. The impact on further visa is directly proportional to the length of the over stay. Remember, this grace period is to prepare yourself to leave, not to work, in most states, your DL will be expired by the last day of the DS and so on.

I prefer that people return after the expiration of the J-1. Based upon my analysis, when individuals return, they establish the non-immigrant requirement and it is generally easy to come on some other visa.