Expedited Passport

Well, for the past few days, I have been trying randomly at various times. Never got thru. In fact - after several announcements and messages, blah, blah, it would simply disconnect me - with NO option for me to be on hold also !!

Today, I tried between 12-1pm CST. After all the messages, it did not disconnect me today !! Instead, I was on hold for abt 10 mins (with some music in the background). I did not want to hang up, as this never happened before, and ultimately, I got connected to an agent.

Hello all,

I have applied for passport at local postal office

Applied expedited: 03/16/2007 (Friday) (Los Angeles, CA)
Money order
Online status appeared: 03/20/07
Passport arrived: 03/22/07(Thursday)

I hope this is can help some else ….

an update

Hi everyone,
Here's my timeline:
Applied @PO (expedited): March 22
Checks cashed: March 27
Online status appeared: March 29

The case status says I should expect it within 4 weeks from the date I applied. We'll see...... :rolleyes:

I'm done with my Passport

My passport arrived yesterday. It came with open, i.e. like an open book not closed book on the picture side, which is the 1st and 2nd page open. While other passports came closed. No biggie.

Phew, I can't believe I'm done.

Applied for passport on 24th March - Expedited. It reached them on 26th Monday. Online status appeared today 30th March. It says will take 4 weeks to process.

------------------------
TSC, Atlanta

01-04-2007 - PD
02-01-2007 - FP
03-13-2007 - Interview (same day oath)
03-24-2007 - Passport applied - Expedited
03-30-2007 - Online status

I was able to make an appointment at the Chicago passport agency two weeks ago for last Friday. You might want to try to call the number late at night to get through. It's very difficult to get an appointment - you have to keep trying later dates.

Thanks! It worked. I called at 11pm and got through right away and made an appointment at the Philadelphia agency for the day after my oath. The call lasted only 3 minutes! I am travelling 4 days after my oath and so I'm going to have to do the 1 day processing. Will post my experience.

Well, for the past few days, I have been trying randomly at various times. Never got thru. In fact - after several announcements and messages, blah, blah, it would simply disconnect me - with NO option for me to be on hold also !!

Today, I tried between 12-1pm CST. After all the messages, it did not disconnect me today !! Instead, I was on hold for abt 10 mins (with some music in the background). I did not want to hang up, as this never happened before, and ultimately, I got connected to an agent.

Sometimes when they put you on hold the system is looking for a date for the appointment. I waited for about 20 minutes in total silence (thank God for speaker phones) and was about to hang up but then the system came back on and said there were no appointments at the time I had requested and that I should press 2 for the next day etc. It is terribly slow during the day and the system makes you wait with no music, but I got through right away when I called around 11 at night and the call lasted less than 3 minutes from start to finish.

Finally - got it !!

I finally got my passport today !! Dont know if it had anything to do with my "successful" call to the NPIC and speaking to an agent on Thursday, or its just a coincidence.... Yesterday, my status got updated to "Passport has been mailed...", and I got it today. It took a whopping 24 days from applying to receipt !!

The passport was folded as it normally is - no problems there. Also - they returned the 2nd photograph along with it (huh !!).

But they sent back the Natz certificate folded 2 times !! Grrrr....

Anyway, now on to the final stage of this big drama - OCI card !!

Good luck to all those waiting!!

NoJob,

OCI is the equivalent of a "Green Card" in India - a.k.a the so-called "dual citiizenship" with India. (Not dual in the true sense of it, but almost).

For Indians, it gives you a lifelong visa to India, and you are entitled to most of the benefits of normal Indian citizens, except for some key benefits !!

IMY,
Any update?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Passport: applied at A post Office In NYC on 02/24/07 ( Routine )
Check Cashed: on 02/28/07
Online Status: 03/12/07
Passport Expected on : 04/04/07 ( according to Online status )
As of 03/21/07: No date ( the expected date is removed )

I took new passport photos after the natz ceremony and went to a post office in manhattan to submit my passport application. Got there at 3 p.m.

I forgot how USPS offices are run. Long line for people wanting regular postal service, no special window for passports or other non-mail things.

I had filled out the form while waiting during the ceremony. Watched someone ahead of me apply for a first time passport. Postal worker took pasport photos for her and charged the lady $15!!!:eek:

At 4 p.m. post office manager asks for first time passport appliers in the line and I raise my hand. She says I will be the last one processed for passport today! I show her my photos, Natz. certificate and orange form all filled out.

Post office manager looks happy and ushers me to the counter. Congratulates me on becoming a citizen and processes the application "expedited" as I requested.

After seeing how long it takes checks to get cashed by passport folks, I opt to pay $157 cash for a postal money order. Postal lady says that it gets processed faster that way with buying a money order as opposed to government waiting for your check to clear.

I ask for overnight shipping fees and postal lady says my application will be overnighted with other passport apps from today, no charge as I am the last one and congrats on citizenship!

So my passport will be sent whatever regular/priority mail when it is done, but postal lady was nice about adding overnight service because I waited and didn't complain to her.

She said it will take 4 weeks. Ah, that's better than 10 weeks!

Teddybear

"orange form" is the paper form you can get at the post office for passport application. It has a lot of orange color on the front page.

Download the PDF file of passport application from Dept of State travel site. You can type in the required information and print it out. It's tidy and there are likely less chance for errors when processed by passport people, compared to when they try to read your hand writing.

Proof of Travel

Thanks guys !

I am planning on applying in person at a passport agency. I really need the passports expedited as we have plans to travel to India in June, and need enough time to get OCI done. I dont think I can give the OCI explanation (with no proff) as a valid explanation.

Actual June reservations are too far out to meet the requirements.

I plan to do a reservation to Canada or Europe, show it as proof and then cancel reservation. What is the easiest way to do a fully refundable reservation which would be acceptable by passport agency as proof.

-g

I am planning on applying in person at a passport agency. I really need the passports expedited as we have plans to travel to India in June, and need enough time to get OCI done. I dont think I can give the OCI explanation (with no proff) as a valid explanation.

-g

Gabbar007 -
Keep in mind though that OCI process takes anywhere between 2-3 mos - depending upon where you file. If your OCI is not yet done and you absolutely must travel to India in June, then be prepared to apply for a short term visa - can get that in a day ($60).

It's been 2 weeks, but still no change in online status. Still says "Thank you for submitting your application. You should receive passport within 4 weeks..." No date of estimated arrival is mentioned.
Trying to stay calm:D

Itineraray?

Gabbar007 -
Keep in mind though that OCI process takes anywhere between 2-3 mos - depending upon where you file. If your OCI is not yet done and you absolutely must travel to India in June, then be prepared to apply for a short term visa - can get that in a day ($60).

Thanks Kabe,
My real question is " plan to do a reservation to Canada or Europe, show it as proof and then cancel reservation. What is the easiest way to do a fully refundable reservation which would be acceptable by passport agency as proof.
" ?

-g