Expedited Passport

Huracan, several things are wrong in your post -- first the passport is a docu that represents the nation and the contol over its production can be misused if some private company takes over. It is a monopoly for a reason after all it is the most in demand document.
2nd, the expedited process is to help people who have travel plans and there are people who have real need of these.
3rd the backlog is not going away soon, the native born people will still be applying for the passports to travel to Canada/Mex/Carrib even after the spring break traffic goes back to school

Huracan, several things are wrong in your post -- first the passport is a docu that represents the nation and the contol over its production can be misused if some private company takes over. It is a monopoly for a reason after all it is the most in demand document.
2nd, the expedited process is to help people who have travel plans and there are people who have real need of these.
3rd the backlog is not going away soon, the native born people will still be applying for the passports to travel to Canada/Mex/Carrib even after the spring break traffic goes back to school

Hey aabbcc11,

Do you think you can look down on me now that you're a citizen? I'm joking. :p Don't take it wrong. I was also joking about privatising passport production. However, as I mentioned, the current administration wouldn't doubt in privatising other things like social security. I was just being sarcastic about privatising passport production.
For people who have urgent needs they should have passport facilities at major airports and in most big cities where they should produce a passport on the spot.
I am perhaps being optimistic about reducing the backlog, but I am just guessing because of the new mega facility that is supposed to open in Arkansas in April. There is a current big increase in passport demand, but I think the spike should soon pass. I could readjust my estimate and say 3 months to clear the backlog ;) That's why I said 2 months or so, the so, was 3 months.
Anyway, good luck to everyone who's waiting for a passport, and specially to those who are in need to get it fast. I'll try to bite my tongue and not try to have the last word. On the other hand I think some of my points (specially the sarcastic or humorous ones) were misunderstood.

My 2 cents.

Hi,

I follow this thread from time to time and tend to find amusing how everybody seems to be worried about expedited, and appointments, and checking the passport status online. Are you really in such a hurry, or is it the excitement of getting the passport quick? It seems that most folks who apply for expedited don't even have any trip planned, it beats me that people would pay extra for an already too expensive passport just to have it a few weeks earlier. Please exercise your new citizen powers and do the old American way, call them up and give them an earful for not processing regular passports quicker ;) Gee, it seems we're goind down a road of a "two level of service" government, one for people with money and one for people without.

PS: As I am still stuck waiting for interview I am hoping that by the time I am ready to apply for a passport the backlog will have gone down considerably or been eliminated.

My 2 cents.

I don't know about others, but I had to apply for expedited since my trip is in May. With the pace they are going right now, it is better to be on the safe side.

Huracan

Well, my friend - Huracan,

I did expediated with overnight, hoping that I'll get my passports this week, so I can travel to Canada this coming weekend.

As Dani said, I am worried that NOW they have my "original" unwrinkled precious piece - Citizenship certificate, that I don't want them to loose, and less time they get to keep it the better it is.

I am driving to Canada, hence, per regulations, I don't need a passport only if I fly. But the fact they have my "only" piece that certifies that I'm a USC, hence, I cannot go. So I need something in my hand, either Certificate or Passport, so I can travel. As you may know, this week is Spring Break for kids, I'd rather be in Canada than here.

Everyone has a different reason for "Expediated".

Awesome

My process took 11 days from mailing the application to receipt of passport.

Saba Bhai...awesome to visit your website...amazing...for such achievements at your age(which I am guessing to be aroung 40) and your travels. I just had a couple of questions for you. I have just been naturalized as an American, and hold a Pakistani passport. I alos have relatives in Canada and would like to apply for thier Permanent Resident card. Is it something feasible..I mean does the US law allow that.Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

State department loosing naturalization certificate as part of passport processing? has that happened to anyone? I would like to believe that they would handle it with great care given how important it is for the citizens.

I have another question, did anyone pay using debit card? I paid for regular processing and paid using my debit card, it has been two weeks but no online status yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
State department loosing naturalization certificate as part of passport processing? has that happened to anyone? I would like to believe that they would handle it with great care given how important it is for the citizens.

I believe so. I think this is part of the culture of fear. Everyone seems to be afraid of something. I am also optimistic that the rate of losing naturalization certificates has to be nil. Even in the extremely rare case that it is lost or destroyed it can be replaced. Hopefully the State department would pay ;) Zoinks, I think I have opened myself to be told that the State department probably won't pay anything. Anyway, in my risk assessment, the possibility of the naturalization certificate to be lost or damaged during passport application is very, very low risk. I still haven't seen a complain in this forum about this.

My 2 cents.

Good news is that I received my passport today.

Hurrycan and others,
Can you please discuss ur threads in a different thread. I know everyone has good opinions. Government has setup different timelines for PAY AS YOU go based on the fees you get. I hope Condeleza Rice does not come and say we increase passport fees as PASSPORT is PRICELESS (like Mr.Gonzalez).

Now it is only 4weeks for expedited and 10weeks for routine. Wait for next year it will be really fun. This year they mandated passport for AIR TRAVEL. Next year they are forcing for every travel outside the country.

Hopefully they fix their customer service line number. I am happy with the service they are giving with e-mail. They have responded in a few days time.

These are my opinions and not legal advice.

One quick question.
When I looked at how to safe guard the passport.
It says to keep the passport flat. Does it mean when u fold the passport (so that the middle page does not get damaged, will get damaged by folding?
If I fold for safe guarding the middle page, does the bio-metric chip inside the passport get damaged?
Experts advice on how you guys used the new passport.

One quick question.
It says to keep the passport flat. Does it mean when u fold the passport (so that the middle page does not get damaged, will get damaged by folding?
If I fold for safe guarding the middle page, does the bio-metric chip inside the passport get damaged?

I don't get it what you mean about folding the passport so the middle page doesn't get damaged. I have always stored my passports flat and I haven't had any issue. Does anyone know what this damage could be? I would follow the advice of keeping the passport flat so the chip doesn't get damaged.

My 2 cents.

applying for expedited passport next week after oath

thanks for starting this thread. I have printed out the DS-11 application and filled it out (I did not sign it, as per the directions).

I intend to find a post office acceptance place in NYC after the oath, but my question is, do you have to change your SSN status before submitting Nat. Cert. for passport?

Does the passport dept. check citizenship status with SSA via your SSN or do they just look at your Nat. Cert.?

Thank you in advance.;)

Teddybear

Do you have to change your SSN status before submitting Nat. Cert. for passport?

Does the passport dept. check citizenship status with SSA via your SSN or do they just look at your Nat. Cert.?

Nope. You are a full-fledged citizen now (or you will be soon). Just follow the instructions on the form.

We applied for my daughter's passport the day my wife got naturalized (my daughter was traveling about a month later). I applied for my passport the day I was naturalized. We only went to see the social security folks months later.

One quick question.

Hmm....think you're making things more complicated than it really needs to be :D

I just store it away as it is...not opened not folded etc. Just the way you would store a book on a bookshelf.

As long as you don't bend the front and back covers of the passport, you'll be fine. The chip is either in the front cover or back cover that's why it's so stiff....compared to the non-RFID chip style passport which has flexible front and back covers.

I might go to sharper image

and get one of those vacuum chambers which allow floating passports (as long as you have electricity). They consume about 40W per hr...just like an LCD TV. RFID chip protection is in-built and standard in those gadgets. Not a bad purchase for a valuable thing like an "rfid passport". No hassles about folding or bending....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks happigal. When they shipped they kept the 3rd page open and kept flat. I was not sure whether I can keep it like the regular passport. I was not going to bend. I was not sure the interpretation of flat. I was not sure what it was about keeping flat. Thanks everyone for sharing their inputs. Good luck to everyone

my timeline

applied expedited: 03/21/2007 (sunnyvale,ca)
check1 encashed: 03/26/2007
check2 encashed: 03/27/07
online status: 03/28/07

Thank you for submitting your passport application!

Your application has been received and is being processed. Your passport application locator number is ********.
When you applied, you requested Expedite Service and Routine Delivery of your passport. Passport Agencies use Priority Mail. You should receive your passport within 4 weeks from the date you applied.

Still no news !!

Today I managed to speak to a Customer Service agent. He was surprised that they are still sitting on my passport application, even though the check was encashed on Mar 12th, and the application was "pending" since that date.
I applied (Expedited) on 03/07.

Keeping me online for a couple of minutes, he said he was sending out a message to the processing center asking them to expedite the process, since its now over 3 wks and no update on expected date !!

Not sure if his message to them is going to have any impact at all !! Lets see...

Expedite service for US Passport

Hi, I applied for a new US Passport on March 14th via the Post Office (passport facility) - I requested expedited service. My check has still not been cashed and the online application status has no information. I tried calling, but cannot get through due to heavy call volume.
Any advice on what to do? Will have to wait for at least 4 weeks (processing time) but what if it does not arrive? Any suggestions?
Many thanks

Today I managed to speak to a Customer Service agent. He was surprised that they are still sitting on my passport application, even though the check was encashed on Mar 12th, and the application was "pending" since that date.
I applied (Expedited) on 03/07.

Keeping me online for a couple of minutes, he said he was sending out a message to the processing center asking them to expedite the process, since its now over 3 wks and no update on expected date !!

Not sure if his message to them is going to have any impact at all !! Lets see...

What time did you call to speak to a rep? I have tried calling so many times but it keeps saying that due to heavy call volume, try later