Expedite Request Approved (?)

scully51

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

Last week I called USCIS to check on my I-485, since I don't have a lawyer I just wanted to get a better understanding as to why my case was transfered to VSC. Well, I didn't get any concrete response; the customer service representative on the phone just kept repeating the same thing "they have jurisdiction over your case..."

I've had a bad experience with VSC, thus I want to stay on top this application. As I talked to the agent on the phone I explained that I really didn't want to spend $340 to renew my EAD when any moment according to their processing times, my i-485 was going to be processed and ofcourse I'm not forseeing any reason for denial (i'm an optimist), I also explained, that if I didn't have anything to show to my employer I would lose my job, which is true, my employer or at leat my HR regional office has placed me (A WHILE AGO) on administrative leave because my EAD wasn't in my possession nevermind receipts and even approval notice. BUT THAT's ANOTHER STORY.

So, the rep from USCIS opened up an request to expedite my the processing of my case and today I received the approval letter informing me that my request was approved :D.

QUESTION:

Has anyone ever had their case expedited? if so, how long did it take after you received your approval to expedite.

Hello everyone,

Last week I called USCIS to check on my I-485, since I don't have a lawyer I just wanted to get a better understanding as to why my case was transfered to VSC. Well, I didn't get any concrete response; the customer service representative on the phone just kept repeating the same thing "they have jurisdiction over your case..."

I've had a bad experience with VSC, thus I want to stay on top this application. As I talked to the agent on the phone I explained that I really didn't want to spend $340 to renew my EAD when any moment according to their processing times, my i-485 was going to be processed and ofcourse I'm not forseeing any reason for denial (i'm an optimist), I also explained, that if I didn't have anything to show to my employer I would lose my job, which is true, my employer or at leat my HR regional office has placed me (A WHILE AGO) on administrative leave because my EAD wasn't in my possession nevermind receipts and even approval notice. BUT THAT's ANOTHER STORY.

So, the rep from USCIS opened up an request to expedite my the processing of my case and today I received the approval letter informing me that my request was approved :D.

QUESTION:

Has anyone ever had their case expedited? if so, how long did it take after you received your approval to expedite.

Are you an asylee? If so, you don't need an EAD but you can simply show an unrestricted SS card and a driver license as proof of employment eligibility.

Vdostoi1 and Raziel,

Thank you for your reply, however, your comments do not address my question.

Regards,

sorry for that... I never heard of I-485 being expedited for an asylee :)

Maybe other members could help answering your question

Last edited by a moderator:
To Raziel,
Any petition can be expedited if it meets the USCIS guidelines for expedition.

To Scully,
If your petition has been approved for expedition, expect a decision soon. I have read in this forum of people getting a decision within a week. Don't get too worried because your petition got transferred to another service center. Sometime they do that to reduce backlog. One thing that is confusing me is about your work situation. Your timeline tells me that you are an asylee which makes you eligible for an unrestricted SSN and as long as you have a State or Govt issued ID and the unrestricted SSN, you do not need an EAD. Therefore you should not be on administrative leave. Maybe there is something more to it in your situation.

mesbahul,

Thank you for your input...greatly appreciated.

Perhaps my posting is confusing, for which I apologize.

I was granted asylum in 2007, was placed on administrative leave in 2006 because my EAD (based on pending asylum application) was delayed AND my employer would not accept the approval notice sent to me by USCIS.

I want to avoid the same situation and avoid paying the $340 fee to renew my EAD (generated when asylum was granted)

My employer or perhaps my local HR office is peculiar and quite frankly I do not want to fight. That's what it is.

Essentially it boils down to picking my battles carefully. Right now I seem to have a better chance of a more positive outcome with USCIS than fighting with my employer.

mesbahul,

Thank you for your input...greatly appreciated.

Perhaps my posting is confusing, for which I apologize.

I was granted asylum in 2007, was placed on administrative leave in 2006 because my EAD (based on pending asylum application) was delayed AND my employer would not accept the approval notice sent to me by USCIS.

I want to avoid the same situation and avoid paying the $340 fee to renew my EAD (generated when asylum was granted)

My employer or perhaps my local HR office is peculiar and quite frankly I do not want to fight. That's what it is.

Essentially it boils down to picking my battles carefully. Right now I seem to have a better chance of a more positive outcome with USCIS than fighting with my employer.

As others pointed to you above..You can get an unrestricted SSN card based on your asylum approval and not worry about EAD every year. Its very simple!

As a number of people have pointed out you do not need an EAD to work because you have asylum status. You can provide your employer your social security card and a state ID for purposes of filing out the I-9. They are required to accept your documents. End of story.

since employers are required by law to accept ur social security number and/or ur asylum status documents as a proof of employment authorization, should ur employer choose to cause u more distress and trouble, u can file a class action law suit against them! as thankful already mentioned they have to accept those documents, end of story!