• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

EU selectee case number EU42XXX

Ok, and what about H1b visa? Since it is dual intend visa, will applying to USCIS disturb me from getting H1b visa too?
H1B or L1 creates no problems. Some other visas will have also little problems (I, O-1 E-1, E-2 e t.c.)
If I apply to USCIS or KCC and dont get GreenCard, it means I can never ever apply for even tourist visa as B1/ B2 is?
Not true. Only the first 3-10 years, depending on circumstances.

Sorry but I do not agree with some people in here, raevsky for instance.

It's too early to assume that someone's chances of getting a visa are close to 0 based simply on their Case Number. Clearly more people were selected this year but keep in mind that the Department of State surely knows what they're doing.

To everyone with a high case number, chill. Most of you will get your chance, and if you've seen a case number 10k bigger than yours, then surely you will get an interview appointment (i.e. for the guy with 42k, knowing there's a 50k case number for Europe)

To the rest, enjoy your summer. You will only be able to kind of predict what will happen starting with September, when the Visa Bulletin will include cut off numbers for October. Stop worrying about your case number, it won't do any good. I was worried too, for so many months, having a case number of 23k out of 30k for Europe, i too didn't think I stood any chances moreover when people on forums were all freaking out. I am having my interview in 2 weeks though and I'm sure everyone will get current this year.

You should worry only if your country is known for having a lot of applicants/selectees (Ukraine, Uzbekistan, etc). The real worry should be having all the visas allowed for a country issued (7% of the total). So if you're from one of those countries with a high CN, things may get pretty ugly (see Uzbekistan this year), other than that I think it's smooth sailing.

Good luck to you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add another entry to your table. My case number is EU10XXX. I am from Turkey. I saw people from Turkey with lower case numbers than me.

It's too early to assume that someone's chances of getting a visa are close to 0 based simply on their Case Number. Clearly more people were selected this year but keep in mind that the Department of State surely knows what they're doing.

To everyone with a high case number, chill. Most of you will get your chance, and if you've seen a case number 10k bigger than yours, then surely you will get an interview appointment (i.e. for the guy with 42k, knowing there's a 50k case number for Europe)

To the rest, enjoy your summer. You will only be able to kind of predict what will happen starting with September, when the Visa Bulletin will include cut off numbers for October. Stop worrying about your case number, it won't do any good. I was worried too, for so many months, having a case number of 23k out of 30k for Europe, i too didn't think I stood any chances moreover when people on forums were all freaking out. I am having my interview in 2 weeks though and I'm sure everyone will get current this year.

You should worry only if your country is known for having a lot of applicants/selectees (Ukraine, Uzbekistan, etc). The real worry should be having all the visas allowed for a country issued (7% of the total). So if you're from one of those countries with a high CN, things may get pretty ugly (see Uzbekistan this year), other than that I think it's smooth sailing.

Good luck to you all.

The number of visas is still limited by the same number, but the number of open winners has increased almost twice. Pretty obvious, about half of winners, depending on the rank number, will be out of luck in DV-2014. All those people in previous lotteries just did not know they were winners. Now they do know, but the number of visas is still the same, so they will not get visas.

What will increase my chances of getting GreenCard? If I apply ASAP through Kentucky center being in Russia or if I apply for Adjustment of Status being in USA (being on B1/B2, or possible J1 or H1b visas)?
You have a high case number but I wouldn't say your chances are close to zero. Anyways following are your options:

1-AOS takes longer than CP so applying for AOS with your high case number would not be advantageous. On the other hand, if you come to US with an H1B visa and apply for AOS and don't get a green card, you can still stay and apply for employment-based green card later.

2-If you come to US with a J1 visa, you can still apply for AOS, and if you don't get green card, you can continue to stay until your J1 expires. but renewing J1 visa would be close to impossible.

3-If you send your application for CP to KCC, you will have more chance (for what it's worth) to get a green card compared to AOS, but you will not be able to get a J1 visa afterwards. You can still get a H1B visa though.

Do what you think is the sure thing for you.

1-AOS takes longer than CP so applying for AOS with your high case number would not be advantageous. On the other hand, if you come to US with an H1B visa and apply for AOS and don't get a green card, you can still stay and apply for employment-based green card later.
One of the best US immigration lawyers Kurzban said at the DV-2012 lawsuit otherwise. I do not agree with Kurzban, but you need to know his opinion and the fact that he is one of the best lawyers.

2-If you come to US with a J1 visa, you can still apply for AOS, and if you don't get green card, you can continue to stay until your J1 expires. but renewing J1 visa would be close to impossible.
Unless the the AOS interview they revoke your status and you will have to agree on voluntry departure or be detained waiting for deportation

3-If you send your application for CP to KCC, you will have more chance (for what it's worth) to get a green card compared to AOS, but you will not be able to get a J1 visa afterwards. You can still get a H1B visa though.
I agree with H-1 statement, disagree with J-1 statement

Unless the the AOS interview they revoke your status and you will have to agree on voluntry departure or be detained waiting for deportation
However, the most likely result of applying for AOS with high number will be no interview at all. Then your status might not be revoked, and probably will not.

That depends on the definition of what chance is. You will not get a visa with very high number, for sure

Thank you so much for your answers, guys!
Just one more point, please..
Let's suppose I will take the chance and send the necessary documents to Kentucky center, but my CN will never become current.
Will this action affect and disturb my future possibilities of receiving and maintaining other visa types such as J1/J2 or B1/B2?

Let's suppose I will take the chance and send the necessary documents to Kentucky center, but my CN will never become current.
Will this action affect and disturb my future possibilities of receiving and maintaining other visa types such as J1/J2 or B1/B2?

Most probably it will.

Only for limited time, hardly more than for 10 years.

Also, the fact that you have won, also could affect your possibilities for that, even yif you do not submit forms to KCC or USCIS.

Good luck to you all.

That's exactly what I wanted to say the first moment I read these posts. Don't assume anything yet it's obvious that things are different this year and we shouldn't compare anything with the previous years. I think that even higher numbers have good chances to get interviews. Otherwise why would they bother revealing the numbers if they knew they wouldn't get to an interview? just to disappoint people? They could go on with that 'hidden winners' thing this year too and it wouldn't hurt anyone. what you don't know can't hurt you. but now these people with high CN's know they've won so it would hurt them. And KCC knows that. And if they knew they wouldn't get a chance it would be so mean on their part. I really believe even those numbers will be current somewhere in the summer. :) Don't be so nervous peeps and have a good luck on this DV journey. All the best for all. And those that didn't get selected more luck some other time, cause if not through DV you can get ur chances through something else. You can always find other ways to make ur wish come true. if it happens that you don't get to US one day maybe it's because there's something better for you where you are, or somewhere else. Well at least that's what i'm trying to say to myself in case something goes wrong :) Take care!

That's exactly what I wanted to say the first moment I read these posts. Don't assume anything yet it's obvious that things are different this year and we shouldn't compare anything with the previous years. I think that even higher numbers have good chances to get interviews. Otherwise why would they bother revealing the numbers if they knew they wouldn't get to an interview? just to disappoint people? They could go on with that 'hidden winners' thing this year too and it wouldn't hurt anyone. what you don't know can't hurt you. but now these people with high CN's know they've won so it would hurt them. And KCC knows that. And if they knew they wouldn't get a chance it would be so mean on their part.
+1.

Unless KCC loves to deal with more paperwork for those who don't stand a chance..

Guys, thank you very much for your informative replies.
Let me ask you one more question please.
My situation is that in the middle of March 2014 I will find out whether I get H1b visa for my future medical residency or not (if yes, I will have H1b in May 2014).
What if I will send my forms to KCC as late as in March 2014? Anyway, my CN is EU42xxx, and it can become current most likely not earlier than in August 2014 (if it will ever become current). Will KCC have enough time to process my forms?

Last edited by a moderator:
What if I will send my forms to KCC as late as in March 2014? Anyway, my CN is EU42xxx, and it can become current most likely not earlier than in August 2014 (if it will ever become current).
Sounds good to me, but it's your decision.

Hi lightL,

I suggest you get your document together, put them in a nice envelope and submit them DHL. You were selected, and as such you do have a chance, no matter how small. Your chance will only be zero if you sit on your hands and do nothing.

There is no reason why you couldn't become current, but will probably be a very late thing. Nonetheless you'll be kicking yourself if everyone is made current and quite early on due to poor uptake in visas. In July 2012 the whole EU region was current, except for Uzbekistan which has a cut-off of 17,000. There was no other limit. And buy August 2012 everyone was current. Of course that means you could miss out on an interview, but it's not "zero."

The choice is up to you. As of right now (May 2013), the cut-off for EU is 27,500, except for Uzbekistan, which is 13,700.

To answer your other question, yes in theory you've shown "immigrant intent", which means it will be difficult to get a B-1/2 visa.

Consulates have granular schedule, the do scheduling once a month. That is why when there is not enough people ahead of you, you could be scheduled too. In that sence, if you apply earlier than other people with number around yours, you will have an advantage over them.

Raevsky, that CN is very large indeed... but I noticed that this DV2014 EU numbers are all very high... Also surely there will be October draw? With even higher CN`s...

Plus there is always a chance that by august all numbers become current... So his chances are far from zero anyway.

Good Point!