Entering jfk july 16

ASYLUM-NY

Registered Users (C)
I came back from 16 days of vacation in Europe, when entering JFK i went to the Green Card Holders line, now they have 3 diferent lines: Visitor, Green Card Holders and US Citizens, i didnt know that... I have a green card and National Passport (that i have renewed before applying for asylum,and it is still valid). I had to do fingerprint for all 10 fingers plus face picture and then the IO just asked me how long i was out of the States, i answered it and that was it. I did not visit COP.
Now i want to take this moment and ask you guys on behalf of one of my good friend who has Withholding of Removal one question. He got Withholding about 2 months ago, got his Work Permit, but just 6 days ago he got a letter from immigration asking him to go for an interview and fingerprint at the Federal Plaza Immingration Office (NYC). There the IO office told him that the laws for those who has Withholding have changed and he has to report to immigration every 6 months and he cannot live New York State (he resides in ny) for more then 48 hours without reporting to the immigration! My friend told him that he knows alot people who has the same immigration status as his and none of the got any letters, but the IO told him that soon all of them will get it, the IO told him that it is the new law and told him to stay out of trouble. To me it looks like the way they treat people who got out of jail on parole...
Did you guys heard anything about that?!? I know that this forum has alot knowledeg people, and i am looking forward for your inputs.Even his lawyer was surprise with this situation...

His lawyer said that he never heard of this "new law" either... I just got home yesterday from my trip, so i didnt see my friend yet, we just spoke over the phone, but i will see him this weekend, and i want to see the letter he got and get more details about the interview he had with the IO this week. I will let you guys know.

I came back from 16 days of vacation in Europe, when entering JFK i went to the Green Card Holders line, now they have 3 diferent lines: Visitor, Green Card Holders and US Citizens, i didnt know that... I have a green card and National Passport (that i have renewed before applying for asylum,and it is still valid). I had to do fingerprint for all 10 fingers plus face picture and then the IO just asked me how long i was out of the States, i answered it and that was it. I did not visit COP.
Now i want to take this moment and ask you guys on behalf of one of my good friend who has Withholding of Removal one question. He got Withholding about 2 months ago, got his Work Permit, but just 6 days ago he got a letter from immigration asking him to go for an interview and fingerprint at the Federal Plaza Immingration Office (NYC). There the IO office told him that the laws for those who has Withholding have changed and he has to report to immigration every 6 months and he cannot live New York State (he resides in ny) for more then 48 hours without reporting to the immigration! My friend told him that he knows alot people who has the same immigration status as his and none of the got any letters, but the IO told him that soon all of them will get it, the IO told him that it is the new law and told him to stay out of trouble. To me it looks like the way they treat people who got out of jail on parole...
Did you guys heard anything about that?!? I know that this forum has alot knowledeg people, and i am looking forward for your inputs.Even his lawyer was surprise with this situation...

Interesting, in Dulles Washington they have only two lines - for visitors and for Citizens/GC holders/diplomats :)

To whom was this question directed?

Sorry THANKUL, that was for you... I have a bit more of info on my friend's case. The letter says "Order of Supervision" and it is from ICE ( Immigration and Customs Enforcement ). It has the 48 hours limit to travel out of NYS, if he wants to stay longer he has to notife ICE, another appoitment for January 14 , 2010 and many more... Such as " That you provide information under oath about your nationality, circumstances, habits, associations, and activites and such other information as ICE considers appropriate."

for me, it looks like he has a criminal conviction record but got approved for WHR.

WHR is mostly given to those who was able to prove to the IJ that he or she has genuine fear of persecution , IJ finds it credible and grants it but the application did not get asylum cos of 1,missing one year deadline, or 2, missed but not timely filed or failed to prove extraordinary or changed circumstances and or has felony criminal conviction record.

Generally, with WHR, all you get is EAD that you have to renew, not eligible for GC, no travel abroad, no family petition.

for me, it looks like he has a criminal conviction record but got approved for WHR.

Generally, with WHR, all you get is EAD that you have to renew, not eligible for GC, no travel abroad, no family petition.

He will be eligible for GC if he gets married to USC but no GC through WHR

Sorry THANKUL, that was for you... I have a bit more of info on my friend's case. The letter says "Order of Supervision" and it is from ICE ( Immigration and Customs Enforcement ). It has the 48 hours limit to travel out of NYS, if he wants to stay longer he has to notife ICE, another appoitment for January 14 , 2010 and many more... Such as " That you provide information under oath about your nationality, circumstances, habits, associations, and activites and such other information as ICE considers appropriate."

The story just makes no sense. Are you sure he has a grant of withholding?