Education while asylum case is pending

zbignev

Registered Users (C)
Did anyone attend to college while his/her asylum case was pending? Do you pay instate tuition or out of state and are there any financial aid available? Please if anyone could help his assistance is highly appreciated. Please keep in mind that the asylum case hasn't been approved it is still pending.

Thank you beforehand.

zbignev said:
Did anyone attend to college while his/her asylum case was pending? Do you pay instate tuition or out of state and are there any financial aid available? Please if anyone could help his assistance is highly appreciated. Please keep in mind that the asylum case hasn't been approved it is still pending.

Thank you beforehand.
If your asylum case still pending, you will have to pay outstate tuition, and you do not qualify for any financial aid.

Once you get your asylum granted, then you will be elegible for financial aid, BUT in order to qualify for instate tuition you will have to meet the following criteria:

1. Live in the state for at least one year.
2. Have 1 year since you took steps to apply for immigration status in the US.
in other words; since the day you apply for asylum, 1 year later you will qualify for instate tuition, in addition to live in the state.

Good luck!

ccordova624 said:
If your asylum case still pending, you will have to pay outstate tuition, and you do not qualify for any financial aid.

Once you get your asylum granted, then you will be elegible for financial aid, BUT in order to qualify for instate tuition you will have to meet the following criteria:

1. Live in the state for at least one year.
2. Have 1 year since you took steps to apply for immigration status in the US.
in other words; since the day you apply for asylum, 1 year later you will qualify for instate tuition, in addition to live in the state.

Good luck!

This is correct. I just want to add the following qualification: some states charge in-state tuition if the student has lived in the state for a prescribed number of years and received a high school diploma in that state. So it is in your best interest to check out your state's laws and regulations. Note that even then the student is not eligible for FEDERAL student aid.

Second, a number of selective colleges in the country will give you a generous financial aid package even if you are undocumented (the hard part for those colleges is getting accepted). I am talking about schools like Harvard, Yale, Princeon, Duke, MIT, Columbia, Amherst, and Penn

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, if you are doing a Ph.D program (as opposed to undergrad) you should be able to receive a fellowship and living stipends from your university regardless of your status.

I paid resident Tuition

I paid resident tuition while doing my B.S and my asylum was still pending. But I also did my high school here. And the state is California. School asked me to show the letter of Acknowledegment from Asylum office stating they have received my asylum application and it is under process. I hope this helps.

My asylum case is also pending in the court....but i am paying out of state tuition fee....Can you tell me the name of the college or university that you joined when your case was pending so that i could also get this benefit....

I paid resident tuition while doing my B.S and my asylum was still pending. But I also did my high school here. And the state is California. School asked me to show the letter of Acknowledegment from Asylum office stating they have received my asylum application and it is under process. I hope this helps.

They might have made a mistake. Pending asylum doesn't give you this benefit.

Minnesotta gives you in state tuition regardless of your status!

schools in MN charges in state tuition!