EAD now valids for 5 years

Both are OK. But sometimes EAD is better if you are looking for a job. If you already have a job, SSC or I-94 is fine that can save you some bucks. In general, 5 year-long EAD is much better than 1 year EAD.

Why not the RTD

Thank you very much for the Heads Up! You guys are definetively up-to-date and up-to-speed!

They should definetively do the same thing for the REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT which is more time consuming and is required every year if someone want to travel overseas...

An Asylee can live without the EAD as you can use SSN and Drivers License. However, the RTD is a major pain!!!!

Is there a way we can take advantage of the EAD change to request that the RTD processing is also reviewed? Maybe we can get away with 5 year Refugee Travel Document based on the outcome of the EAD.

Let me know your thoughts and who we could address such letter.

Thanks...

shamshon said:
This INS is confusing like hell. First of all they issued a ruling saying that asylee do not need any EAD and can have unrestricted Social Security cards. I do not know why they say now that asylees can have 5 year EAD.

Some people really want to have a piece of official looking Federal picture ID.

This is an excellcent policy.

5 year EAD not quite correct

NewsFlash : EADS To Extend Beyond One Year
Posted Jul 29, 2004

©MurthyDotCom

As of July 28, 2004, it is expected that an Interim Rule will shortly be published in the Federal Register establishing that Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) will be issued for a period of time exceeding one year in some cases. USCIS recognizes that, because the processing of I-485s and other underlying applications often takes longer than the maximum of one year allowed for the validity of the EAD under present regulations, it is a drain on its resources to process renewals for EADs every year.

Although we do not have the published rule as of today, it appears that the Interim Rule will not set a maximum for how long the EAD will be valid. The USCIS will have discretion to determine the validity period of the EAD. So, for example, some local USCIS offices may only grant the EAD for 6 months based on that office's I-485 estimated processing time, while another USCIS office may be able to grant the EAD for 2 years. The USCIS will consider the following factors in determining the timeframe for the validity of the EAD :

the applicant's immigration status

general processing time for the underlying application or petition

required background checks

response times for background checks by other agencies

and other security considerations.

The regulations are published this morning and they say that persons granted asylum will be given five year EADs (barring unusual circumstances). The "Newsflash" you quoted does not appy to asylees.

grunggy said:
NewsFlash : EADS To Extend Beyond One Year
Posted Jul 29, 2004

©MurthyDotCom

As of July 28, 2004, it is expected that an Interim Rule will shortly be published in the Federal Register establishing that Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) will be issued for a period of time exceeding one year in some cases. USCIS recognizes that, because the processing of I-485s and other underlying applications often takes longer than the maximum of one year allowed for the validity of the EAD under present regulations, it is a drain on its resources to process renewals for EADs every year.

Although we do not have the published rule as of today, it appears that the Interim Rule will not set a maximum for how long the EAD will be valid. The USCIS will have discretion to determine the validity period of the EAD. So, for example, some local USCIS offices may only grant the EAD for 6 months based on that office's I-485 estimated processing time, while another USCIS office may be able to grant the EAD for 2 years. The USCIS will consider the following factors in determining the timeframe for the validity of the EAD :

the applicant's immigration status

general processing time for the underlying application or petition

required background checks

response times for background checks by other agencies

and other security considerations.

EAD For Asylum Aliens Valid FOR UP TO 5 years.

DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY 8 CFR Part 274a [BCIS No. 2152-01] RIN 1615-AA63 Employment Authorization Documents AGENCY: Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, DHS. ACTION: Interim rule
Finally, the rule amends BCIS regulations to reflect that BCIS will issue EADs to aliens granted asylum by the Department of Justice, Executive Office of Immigration Review (EOIR), with validity periods of up to five years, unless otherwise appropriate. DATES: Effective date: This rule is effective July 30, 2004.

Says for up to five years. It could be for less.

An alien granted asylum under section 208 of the Act for the
period of time in that status, as evidenced by an employment
authorization document, issued by BCIS to the alien. An expiration date
on the employment authorization document issued by BCIS reflects only
that the document must be renewed, and not that the bearer's work
authorization has expired. Evidence of employment authorization shall
be granted in increments not exceeding 5 years
for the period of time
the alien remains in that status

Ead

Yes; not exceeding 5 years. Does not say in 5 year increments. A big difference. Could be less then 5 years. It's all semantics. :)
But as long as you get the maximum benefit who cares. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
thankful said:
An alien granted asylum under section 208 of the Act for the
period of time in that status, as evidenced by an employment
authorization document, issued by BCIS to the alien. An expiration date
on the employment authorization document issued by BCIS reflects only
that the document must be renewed, and not that the bearer's work
authorization has expired. Evidence of employment authorization shall
be granted in increments not exceeding 5 years
for the period of time
the alien remains in that status

It DOES NOT mean that we are again REQUIRED to apply for an EAD, right?

Guys,
This is not true. Atleast for me. I applied for EAD on Oct 29th 2004 and received it today. It has an expiration date of 1 year. I don't know if i'm the only one or they have not implemented this. Has anyone of you applied and got a 5 year card. What should i do???
thanks,

I applied for my EAD on May,15, 2004 and recieved it in 3 weeks.But it expires 06/08/2005.So I wonder should I apply for another one the next year?

Mine EAD also expires in June 2005. I won’t renew it this time.
I have a I-94 with the stamp “Asylum granted. Employment authorized” and it is enough proof that I can work legally.
I think those new, 5 years EAD’s, work best for new asylees, who are looking for a job, and for people who changes their work places a lot.
I been working for the same company for many years now, but after the first day they didn’t even bother to check my employment authorization.
I feel like I was wasting my money renewing that card for the last 5 years.

P.S. Asylee13, you couldn’t possibly apply for your EAD on October 29, 2004 and get it today - October 20, 2004..….
:)

Hey guys i so it redundant to renew my work permit since i had all documents proving that i`m authorized to work e.g I-94,SS card and an official letter from the then INS stating that i`m authorized to work.Making money is their primary interest.I was able to get a job with American airlines,Citigroup etc etc only showing my I-94 card and SS as proof.The last work permit i renewed was in the second one i got after my asylum was approved after that i refused to spend any more money.

That is the right move.you don't need to renew any EAD b/c you don't need it.I renewed it only once after that I am using my unrestricted SS card.

THAT IS THE WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1