EAD card can be shown for the Driver license

chinnu2004

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
Is it feasible to show EAD card to get the driver license?
Since MVD is not ready to renew the license based on the receipt notice of H1B. Please share if some one has the same problem. Since current H1 is expiring in Feb 2008. And extension applied but it is taking minimum of 5 months.

thanks in advance:(

It depends on the requirements of the state. Look up your state's DMV web site. Of the few states I know about, all accept EAD for the DL.

If you have an SS# you should be able to get a drivers license - assuming you have proper identification. Call your local DMV and you'll find out.

My question is " will it cause any problem to H1 if I use EAD to get DL?". Since I am on H1 and not decided to use EAD for work.

thanks

You are not using the EAD for work and it is not listed on any I-9 forms as the basis for your eligibility to work. You're just showing it to the DMV as evidence of status. So no, do not worry about it affecting your H status, it won't.

My question is " will it cause any problem to H1 if I use EAD to get DL?". Since I am on H1 and not decided to use EAD for work.

thanks

using EAD for paid work invalidate H, any thing else (DL, domestic travel, ....) will not affect H status

You are not using the EAD for work and it is not listed on any I-9 forms as the basis for your eligibility to work. You're just showing it to the DMV as evidence of status. So no, do not worry about it affecting your H status, it won't.

If someone uses EAD on I-9 form, they do not send these I-9 forms to ICE or USCIS, how does EAD get Activated?

The I-9 does not get sent to USCIS, true. But it is an official USCIS document signed by you and by the employer. It stays with the employer's records and can be accessed by USCIS on demand. It does not have to go to USCIS to be an official legal document.

If someone uses EAD on I-9 form, they do not send these I-9 forms to ICE or USCIS, how does EAD get Activated?

I beleive I-9 will be sent somewhere, I applied for mortgage loan and get denied on J visa and after I used my EAD and updaed I-9 the loan gets approved

"An employer must retain the I-9 form of each employee either for three (3) years after the date of hire or for one (1) year after employment is terminated, whichever is later. All current employees, therefore, must have I-9’s on file with the employer. Upon request, all Forms I-9 subject to the retention requirement must be made available to an authorized official of the Department of Homeland Security, Department of Labor, and/or the Office of Special Counsel for Unfair Immigration-Related Employment Practices of the Department of Justice."

See here for more detailed information.

Non-government entities such as banks are normally not authorized to access such files.