E2 visa info needed

ken_r

Registered Users (C)
I need some information on investment amount (minimum) required to qualify for E2 visa from canada. Also in the financial some money from line of credits are allowed towards the purchase of business or not? I am interested in buying business less than 100k in value.
Thank you

"The investor must have control of the funds, and the investment must be at risk in the commercial sense." I would say that excludes loans since its the bank's money that is at risk, not yours. Also, loans are explicitly not allowed if the business itself is used as security ("Loans secured with the assets of the investment enterprise are not allowed."). Get a good attorney though. E2 visas are fairly rare and not many people understand the details. Lawyers should.

I need some information on investment amount (minimum) required to qualify for E2 visa from canada. Also in the financial some money from line of credits are allowed towards the purchase of business or not? I am interested in buying business less than 100k in value.
Thank you

There is no min amount of funds, the requirement is you must invest a substantial sum, yet there is nowhere is writing to confirm the exact amount.

Each case is looked closely to see if this is a marginal business, the idea of an E visa is to employ USC and others legal to work, eg create jobs for others and not just start up or buy a biz that will only give you an imcome

I agree generally that loans are not allowed if the business being purchased is used as collateral; however, if you obtain a loan and pledge as collateral some of your assets, then you can use these loans to buy a business in the U.S. and obtain E visa.

There is not set amount and the amount needed depends on the business - if you are buying a manufacturing plant, you will need to invest obviously more than if you are buying consulting business.

I would say that excludes loans since its the bank's money that is at risk, not yours. Also, loans are explicitly not allowed if the business itself is used as security.

When we looked into an E2, (from the UK) we were told it was close to $1m to be invested and 10 or so full time jobs created over a 2 year period. As an E2 doesn't lead to a GC we opted for an EB 5 investment visa, which does. Being able to stay in the US relies upon the company being solvent, if you go bust or retire you have to leave, as far as the E2 is concerned, its renewable but again relies on the business being viable.

When we looked into an E2, (from the UK) we were told it was close to $1m to be invested and 10 or so full time jobs created over a 2 year period.

That's for an EB-5 green card; there are statutory minimums. For an E-2 treaty trader, it's substantially lower since there is no statutory minimum amount that I am aware. I've heard figures as low as $50,000 but that's a minimum and for a reasonable chance of success it should be higher.

Thank you. Seems we were given the wrong information about the E2, sorry to take it off track.