• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2021 Selectees From Ghana

Berto

Congratulations DV2021 selectees from Ghana.

Let's meet here to share the good news about our selection and to potentially ask questions about what our selection means, next steps, processing, etc.

All selectees from Ghana should report here to share ideas for a successful visa issuance.

Let's pray for the situation to get better, ie pandemic and embassy closures.

Just so we know from the get go, this is going to be a bit of a long, (possibly bump for a few) ride. Let's not rush into submitting our DS260 form until we understand or have an idea of what we’re getting
into.

We have great moderators here ready to help.

All the best to all of us.

My case number is 2021AF14***,when appropriately should I fill the DS-260 forms

You’re posting the same question on both the AOS and non AOS threads. You need to understand these are two different processes and the response that applies to one doesn’t apply to the other. So understand and figure out which process you’re going through first.

My case number is 2021AF14***,when appropriately should I fill the DS-260 forms
Congrats!
As @Sm1smom has explained, AOS is a trend meant for winners who are already residing in the US so their procedure is different.
With your case number, you are likely to have your interview in Feb or March.
I was in the 13thousand range and had mine in March. I will suggest by Nov you might have submitted your ds260 and all relevant documents.

Please I'm a new member and I don't know the difference
If you’re not doing AOS just stay off the AOS thread and don’t read the aos spreadsheet! Follow the instructions linked from your selection letter, and read britsimon blog to help you understand the process.

Congrats!
As @Sm1smom has explained, AOS is a trend meant for winners who are already residing in the US so their procedure is different.
With your case number, you are likely to have your interview in Feb or March.
I was in the 13thousand range and had mine in March. I will suggest by Nov you might have submitted your ds260 and all relevant documents.
I would probably do it a bit earlier tbh, latest September or October. While your timeline is around what the last couple of years were, the previous couple/few had this number interviewed Dec/Jan. We don’t know yet how the number of selectees will affect the progression this year, what we can say with confidence is that this is a safe number for interview (obviously assuming no ban etc)

Hii please this guy needs advice with his situation.

1) In July 2012,while working in Qatar,I was arrested at the airport by police because my airport access badge upon on which I was travelling was deemed invalid. I was arrested,detained by police and released after 9 days .

2) In 2008 ,I issued a post dated chaque to a person and it was not honoured (bounced),I was later arrested by police and went to court...court convicted me of issuing a false chaque and gave me a punishment of 80hours of community service which I completed .

Ineed your guidance and advise on these incidences above...how are they likely to play on my visa application ?

@Britsimon and other great moderators and forum members can you please share your views thank you.

Hii please this guy needs advice with his situation.

1) In July 2012,while working in Qatar,I was arrested at the airport by police because my airport access badge upon on which I was travelling was deemed invalid. I was arrested,detained by police and released after 9 days .

2) In 2008 ,I issued a post dated chaque to a person and it was not honoured (bounced),I was later arrested by police and went to court...court convicted me of issuing a false chaque and gave me a punishment of 80hours of community service which I completed .

Ineed your guidance and advise on these incidences above...how are they likely to play on my visa application ?

@Britsimon and other great moderators and forum members can you please share your views thank you.

Don’t know about the first as it’s hard for an outsider to understand the nuances of the offense.

The second seems to depend on your intent. If there was intent to defraud then it could be an issue. I’m going to break with (my own) tradition and quote from Nolo here, because they explain it clearly :
For example, the crime of “passing bad checks” might or might not be a CIMT, depending on the statutory language. If a conviction for passing bad checks in a particular country requires that the person intentionally wrote the check, knowing the check would bounce, then this would be a CIMT because the person would have to have acted with “intent to defraud” to be found guilty. In other countries, one might be convicted of passing bad checks even without knowing the check would bounce, and thus passing bad checks would not be considered a CIMT by U.S. officials.

but also note this, which seems to apply in your case:
Nevertheless, you might still be eligible if you meet the “sentencing exception.” This applies if you have been convicted of only one CIMT and the maximum sentence for that crime, in your country, is less than one year.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclop...nviction-mean-my-u-s-visa-will-be-denied.html

Normally don't recommend lawyers but it might not be a bad idea for you to get legal advice on your particular case from one.

Whether it’s high or not depends on the holes in the numbers. Check out Britsimonsays.com for more info on the process. Congratulations and best of luck to you.

Thanks a lot boss. I really learnt a lot from you by reading through year thread.

Actually my reading started last year when I got selected with case number 2020AF41XXX.

Stay safe, stay blessed.

Don’t know about the first as it’s hard for an outsider to understand the nuances of the offense.

The second seems to depend on your intent. If there was intent to defraud then it could be an issue. I’m going to break with (my own) tradition and quote from Nolo here, because they explain it clearly :
For example, the crime of “passing bad checks” might or might not be a CIMT, depending on the statutory language. If a conviction for passing bad checks in a particular country requires that the person intentionally wrote the check, knowing the check would bounce, then this would be a CIMT because the person would have to have acted with “intent to defraud” to be found guilty. In other countries, one might be convicted of passing bad checks even without knowing the check would bounce, and thus passing bad checks would not be considered a CIMT by U.S. officials.

but also note this, which seems to apply in your case:
Nevertheless, you might still be eligible if you meet the “sentencing exception.” This applies if you have been convicted of only one CIMT and the maximum sentence for that crime, in your country, is less than one year.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclop...nviction-mean-my-u-s-visa-will-be-denied.html

Normally don't recommend lawyers but it might not be a bad idea for you to get legal advice on your particular case from one.

Thank you will let him know.