• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2017 selectee in need of help

Hello there, i have a friend who won the dv2017 lottery, she just did a mistake in the first application form, she was born in uae but she's sudanese, so she applied to Africa region (Sudan) since she answered the second question after the place of birth that asks if u want to apply to ur parents homeland in case of the inelgibility of ur born place..would that be a problem in her interview?

Hello there, i have a friend who won the dv2017 lottery, she just did a mistake in the first application form, she was born in uae but she's sudanese, so she applied to Africa region (Sudan) since she answered the second question after the place of birth that asks if u want to apply to ur parents homeland in case of the inelgibility of ur born place..would that be a problem in her interview?

Unfortunately from what you've said she probably would be disqualified as she has been assigned to the wrong region. If she happens to have a husband from UAE she could use cross-charging (this also needs the spouse to meet the education requirement for DV). Using parents can only work if they were temporarily in her place of birth when she was born, and she can prove this. See the second part of FAQ2 on page 18 of this https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Diversity-Visa/DV-Instructions-Translations/DV-2017-Instructions-Translations/DV-2017 Instructions and FAQs.pdf#page8
However the rules also say (in that link) that the explanation for claiming a different country should have been included in the entry form.

Unfortunately from what you've said she probably would be disqualified as she has been assigned to the wrong region. If she happens to have a husband from UAE she could use cross-charging (this also needs the spouse to meet the education requirement for DV). Using parents can only work if they were temporarily in her place of birth when she was born, and she can prove this. See the second part of FAQ2 on page 18 of this https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Diversity-Visa/DV-Instructions-Translations/DV-2017-Instructions-Translations/DV-2017 Instructions and FAQs.pdf#page8
However the rules also say (in that link) that the explanation for claiming a different country should have been included in the entry form.
Thanks for the reply @SusieQQQ , i don't know how am i going to tell her that,, what i knew now is she had someone else applying for her so he did that mistake, i don't think that would be good excuse in the interview right?! As being an innocent mistake and she couldn't solve it in the ds260 form..

Thanks for the reply @SusieQQQ , i don't know how am i going to tell her that,, what i knew now is she had someone else applying for her so he did that mistake, i don't think that would be good excuse in the interview right?! As being an innocent mistake and she couldn't solve it in the ds260 form..

That mistake will not be overlooked/forgiven even with the claim of it being an innocent mistake because someone else filled out the eDV form on her behalf.

You're better off explaining the situation to her now, than for her to spend all that money and get denied. Even if she decides to go ahead after you've explained things to her, an eventual denial wouldn't come as a shock to her.

Tru
That mistake will not be overlooked/forgiven even with the claim of it being an innocent mistake because someone else filled out the eDV form on her behalf.

You're better off explaining the situation to her now, than for her to spend all that money and get denied. Even if she decides to go ahead after you've explained things to her, an eventual denial wouldn't come as a shock to her.
You are right, its better to know now that to wait and get shocked eventually,, i wish someone would have told me that my case number won't make it last year instead of waiting for 14 months and get shocked, am still mad at that lol

Tru

You are right, its better to know now that to wait and get shocked eventually,, i wish someone would have told me that my case number won't make it last year instead of waiting for 14 months and get shocked, am still mad at that lol
How much your case number was and which country