• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

wrong middle name? its like saying you wrote the wrong name on ur application.
U can call USCIS and see what they tell ya

I wrote my last name as my middle name - that's what I mean. I wrote my last name twice and left my middle name out altogether. Sounds stupid but it's already done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wrote my last name as my middle name - that's what I mean. I wrote my last name twice and left my middle name out altogether. Sounds stupid but it's already done.

So long as the I-485 is correct, you are probably ok. The EAD isn't really all that important as the goal is to get the GC as quickly as possible.

You can call the 800 number and they can put in to have it corrected on the EAD application. Or you can ask the people at fingerprinting to do it.

Here is an interesting story. Hopefully problems like these have been fixed. :)

---
Shredder Ended Work Backlog, U.S. Says

By JOHN M. BRODER
The New York Times
Published: January 31, 2003

Tens of thousands of pieces of mail come into the huge Immigration and Naturalization Service data processing center in Laguna Niguel, Calif., every day, and as at so many government agencies, it tends to pile up. One manager there had a system to get rid of the vexing backlog, federal officials say. This week the manager was charged with illegally shredding as many as 90,000 documents.

Among the destroyed papers, federal officials charged, were American and foreign passports, applications for asylum, birth certificates and other documents supporting applications for citizenship, visas and work permits.

The manager, Dawn Randall, 24, was indicted late Wednesday by a federal grand jury, along with a supervisor working under her, Leonel Salazar, 34. They are accused of ordering low-level workers to destroy thousands of documents from last February to April to reduce a growing backlog of unprocessed paperwork.

Click for full article.

So long as the I-485 is correct, you are probably ok. The EAD isn't really all that important as the goal is to get the GC as quickly as possible.

You can call the 800 number and they can put in to have it corrected on the EAD application. Or you can ask the people at fingerprinting to do it.

Thanks so much. I'll tell them during the fingerprinting so that I don't create an unnecessary delay since I don't even really need an EAD.

status update

Hi Guys,

I got the letter with the interview appointment. It's scheduled for August 12th. I'm guessing the congressman's office had something to do with it. I sent them last thursday a fax asking for help with the interview (i also attached the uscis memo on name checks).

documents required:

1. passports, entry documents, i-94, birth certificates and photo ids.
2. i-693 (if not submitted)
3. i-864, most recent Income tax return and w-2 forms from sponsor
4. arrests report and final dispositions (if applicable)

Hopefully, by the time of the interview, my name check will be complete.

You have copies of everything you submitted, right? Did YOU make the mistake on the form when you send it?

It might happen that the error was made when they entered the info in the system and that's why is showing up in your receipt ... in which case you can just call them and they'll correct it. It's a good thing you have it right on your i-485 receipt.

Hi Guys,

I got the letter with the interview appointment. It's scheduled for August 12th. I'm guessing the congressman's office had something to do with it. I sent them last thursday a fax asking for help with the interview (i also attached the uscis memo on name checks).

documents required:

Congratulations fjelltronen! Your efforts in contacting congressmen and digging up memos have finally paid off.

Even if your namecheck does not clear by Aug 12, I think you have an excellent chance to have your application approved right on Aug 12 under the 180-day rule.

They might say that your latest namecheck has been pending only since May, but you can point out the first time your namecheck was submitted (hopefully you have proof of that) and say that you shouldn't be penalized for the fact that they kept submitting namechecks over-and-over-again. Also point out that the lottery has the Sept 30 deadline.

You have copies of everything you submitted, right? Did YOU make the mistake on the form when you send it?

It might happen that the error was made when they entered the info in the system and that's why is showing up in your receipt ... in which case you can just call them and they'll correct it. It's a good thing you have it right on your i-485 receipt.

Good to hear that you've finally got an interview date - sign of good things to come!
Actually, I made the mistake on the I 765. I realized that when I got the receipt and I cross checked from the form I sent. My middle initial is A instead of B on the I 765 receipt.

Hi Guys,

documents required:

Congratulations. I have actually scheduled an appointment with the district director for my Senator for tomorrow morning and i hope they can do something for me too regarding interview.
Hopefully, ur background check would be cleared by then

Hi,
I've seen some people have wrote something like name check submitted....in the discribtion that usually put under their messages....I was wondering what does that mean? Do we have to submit any thing any where?
Thanks.

Hi,
I've seen some people have wrote something like name check submitted....in the discribtion that usually put under their messages....I was wondering what does that mean? Do we have to submit any thing any where?
Thanks.

Name check submitted means that you've gone for the Biometrics and your fingerprints have been submitted to the FBI for investigation.

Hi,
Thanks.

You don't need to submit anything. This is something that your local office will request from the FBI. The name check is *not* related to the fingerprint check that is done also by the FBI.

You can ask your local office when they submitted your name check to the FBI. Knowing the date of your name check submission is important for everyone whose name check might take longer than 6 months. If 6 months pass from the date of submission, the application can be approved without the name check results.

hey guy I have an AOS interview the day after tomorrow and i am scared about the name check,is there any to find whether my name check is clear or not ???????

santoshlamsal, don't worry about the namecheck.

The fact that they've scheduled your interview means there's a good likelihood that your namecheck has cleared.

In any case, you'll find out at the interview whether it has cleared. You've only got two days until it, so there's no sense in going for an INFOPASS beforehand to find out.

Congratulations fjelltronen, it's a huge step forward!

pegah61 - namecheck submitted by USCIS, usually right after case processing been started. Usually - couple of days after Notification date on NOA.
Criminal background check after fingerprints appointment is a different check. I haven't hear about any case when people got stack in Criminal background/fingerprints check.

We got the cards today. Hard to believe it's all over. All for this piece of plastic. It's actually a bit strangely disappointing when you get it.

santoshlamsal - the odds favor your name check having cleared. I would suggest bringing a copy of the 2007 USCIS memo that says they will expedite DV name checks and showing it to the officer if the name hasn't cleared. Make sure you have all your other bases covered (proof you have stayed in status; diplomas; DV receipt). It'll be fine.

In retrospect we regret not having done CP, as it would have been much, much more straightforward. That said, we had good reasons for doing AOS (afraid of getting stuck abroad) and it worked out as planned.

Keep the faith -- let's get everyone approved this year.

We got the cards today. Hard to believe it's all over. All for this piece of plastic. It's actually a bit strangely disappointing when you get it.

santoshlamsal - the odds favor your name check having cleared. I would suggest bringing a copy of the 2007 USCIS memo that says they will expedite DV name checks and showing it to the officer if the name hasn't cleared. Make sure you have all your other bases covered (proof you have stayed in status; diplomas; DV receipt). It'll be fine.

In retrospect we regret not having done CP, as it would have been much, much more straightforward. That said, we had good reasons for doing AOS (afraid of getting stuck abroad) and it worked out as planned.

Keep the faith -- let's get everyone approved this year.

Congratualtions and am still hoping that u keep to ur words. u promised to take back all the 'bad things" you've said about USCIS if your application was adjudicated on ur interview day.
so, am waiting. haha

Anyways, i was at my senators office today and they will be contacting USCIS immediately. They said i should be expecting to hear from the office by the end of the wk. i just hope something good comes outta this. I am panicking right now. This is just too stressful to handle.