• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

I think I would better be on the safe side... When I called USCIS they told me if my number becomes current on 1st of April then I should file on 1st of April not earlier. I'll see a lawyer tomorrow especially that I have my other application pending...

Thanks for your suggestions!

it takes a month before NOA is issued so i don't see them returning it.

That's not true. Some people had their NOAs issued in about 2 weeks. Also, USCIS reports that they have cleared their NOA backlog.

Submitting early may work, or it may result in a returned application and significant delays. It's up to the applicant to decide if they want to take the risk.

my number will become current in May but am planning on sending my I-485 in may as soon as the visa bulletin becomes available. I already spoke to an immigration officer at the local USCIS office here and she said i will be fine long as my number will be current in May.
Hey, everything we do in life is all about the risk. Am not saying you should send yours now but am telling ya what am going to do.

Question for everyone about job status and AOS. For example: a person is on a dual intent visa like H1 visa, DV number comes current and they file I-485... what happens if person is laid off / terminated while AOS is pending? I realize it can affect proof of financial support, but ignore that for a moment. What happens to official immigration status? Are you legal remaining in USA until I-485 is adjudicated? Can you get EAD after being laid off? If job security becomes uncertain during DV AOS, what is best course to take for security?

claire08: As far as I know, one should be ok in terms of "immigration status" if you are laid off from work after you get your DV-based I-485 receipt, i.e. when DV based AOS is pending. As DV is not tied to employment, one should be able to change jobs once you have EAD and travel once you have AP approved. I am not an attorney, so it is always better to check with an immigration attorney to be on the safe side.

claire08: As far as I know, one should be ok in terms of "immigration status" if you are laid off from work after you get your DV-based I-485 receipt, i.e. when DV based AOS is pending. As DV is not tied to employment, one should be able to change jobs once you have EAD and travel once you have AP approved. I am not an attorney, so it is always better to check with an immigration attorney to be on the safe side.

U are right. An attorney will only charge him a fee just to tell him exactly what you just said. haha

name check not found (?)

I went to the local USCIS office this morning to ask if my background check is complete and the lady that I talked to had to re-submit by name check (it seems that she couldn't find it - completed or otherwise). I'll check back with them in around two weeks if I don't hear anything in the meantime. So, it doesn't hurt to check your case status with them (especially, if things haven't moved forward for a while).

I went to the local USCIS office this morning to ask if my background check is complete and the lady that I talked to had to re-submit by name check (it seems that she couldn't find it - completed or otherwise). I'll check back with them in around two weeks if I don't hear anything in the meantime. So, it doesn't hurt to check your case status with them (especially, if things haven't moved forward for a while).

Yup, good for you for keepin an eye on ur stuff. My local office is down the street and i'll be there eery other wk until my name check clears. Sometimes, thats the only way u can get ur stuff approved.

Did u talk to them about interview date??

I had my interview before my name check was complete, where they approved me subject to the NC being clear. That meant as soon as the NC was clear my CG was issued.

No, I didn't. I was going to if my name would have been cleared. The lady told me that they cannot move forward with my case until the background check is resolved.

I had my interview before my name check was complete, where they approved me subject to the NC being clear. That meant as soon as the NC was clear my CG was issued.

You're right. For stressedstudent, they scheduled the interview even before she had the biometrics done. But, I knew that if I ask about the interview, I'll get the same (maybe more annoyed) answer (first the background check, then the rest).

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right. For stressedstudent, they scheduled the interview even before she had the biometrics done. But, I knew that if I ask about the interview, I'll get the same (maybe more annoyed) answer (first the background check, then the rest).

i understand what u mean. U don't want to get those guys mad or u will be screwed

Stressedstudent or anybody who already sent the application,

For how many months have you included bank statements (only for the last month or more?) and the tax returns were for the last year or for the last 3 years?

Thanks,
Leny

Stressedstudent or anybody who already sent the application,

For how many months have you included bank statements (only for the last month or more?) and the tax returns were for the last year or for the last 3 years?

Thanks,
Leny

I sent 6 months (bank statements and pay stubs) and no tax returns (i requested my tax transcripts in the meantime and i have them ready in case i'll be asked for them at the interview - for my entire stay in US - 4 years).

Thanks!

I sent 6 months (bank statements and pay stubs) and no tax returns (i requested my tax transcripts in the meantime and i have them ready in case i'll be asked for them at the interview - for my entire stay in US - 4 years).