• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV winners, please read this first ! General Info

Hi Catseyes,

Thanks for your effort to make this very thorouth info about DV process. I myself is a past DV winner, so I exactly know how much DV winners are worried about procedure and they need more info.:)

Thanks!

@ Catseyes

I join Toomackie to thanks you for this post...This is the minimum we can do as it did help us a lot and certainly took much of your time.

Merci pour votre contribution,

Well, I do maintain 2 forums and there I restricted "Thank You" posts cuz they make the forum way crowded and ppl can't find what they need, somehow ! (although I install the Post Thank You hack, so ppl can send their thanks via a click)
This chain of useful posts by Catseyes really needs a Thank You :) !

Really thank you Catseyes, this really helped me figure out mos of the things besides the guide KCC gave me !

--
Best Regards Especially for Catseyes

Hello everybody

I already sent the forms, but I do have one question: Do we have to keep informed KCC if there is any change in our case such as changing job, leaving University and starting a new job back home.

Thanks,

Dear Catseyes:

I won the lotterey with rank order# 2008AS000078xx. Is there any chance for me to get the visa. I really need it since my son will continue study in US this year and my other son (who are studying in Singapore) would like also to have udergraduate study in US in 2010.

If yes, I would like to hire US lawyer since the process looks like so complicated for me.

Appreciate your advice.

~tks

Hello,

First, I want to thank all of you who thanked me ! ( Chabet, dN3tGuru, toomackie and others )

Chabet : changing your job does not matter for the KCC. All that matters is evidence of support ( as long as what you are doing is legal with respect to yoru current US status )
It would of course be different if you were applying for a GC through your emlployer.
I am not familiar with your case, so
leaving University and starting a new job back home
raises a few flags. Remember not to do anything that would jeopardize your US status.

Tan Kim Seng : your children have to be under 21 went you will have your intervierw ( as a general rule ).
I wouldn't recommend to pay for a lawyer, unless your case is really special ( which it doesn't seem to be ). As I said before, I paid for one for my peace of mind, but I regret it somehow. At that time, I had not discovered this forum and was only using the DV eskimo board.

Hello,

First, I want to thank all of you who thanked me ! ( Chabet, dN3tGuru, toomackie and others )

Chabet : changing your job does not matter for the KCC. All that matters is evidence of support ( as long as what you are doing is legal with respect to yoru current US status )
It would of course be different if you were applying for a GC through your emlployer.
I am not familiar with your case, so raises a few flags. Remember not to do anything that would jeopardize your US status.

Tan Kim Seng : your children have to be under 21 went you will have your intervierw ( as a general rule ).
I wouldn't recommend to pay for a lawyer, unless your case is really special ( which it doesn't seem to be ). As I said before, I paid for one for my peace of mind, but I regret it somehow. At that time, I had not discovered this forum and was only using the DV eskimo board.

Good Morning,

Thanks Catseyes for your reply....:) . I am not in the US. To explain more my case, at the moment I am in London studying a PhD research in business. the programme run from 3 to 5 years. Normaly in October I am going back home (Algeria) to start a new job. As a consequence I might not continue reading this course as I will not finish it till two years time. So I wonder if I will need to inform KCC that I left(e-mail will be sent on september) University and I start a new job or I will just give them my new address.

All the best,

Hello,

Catseyes, I got wrong information before. I heard that the children should be under 21 when we submitted the lottery.

Actually, I do not have special case, but I need lawyer because I am very busy and need assistance to make sure I follow the process and submit information correctly.

You haven't answer my first question, what is the chance for rank order#2008AS000078xx to get interviewed?

Catseyes, I got wrong information before. I heard that the children should be under 21 when we submitted the lottery.

no, children need to be 21 at the time of interview. Sometimes, when children turn 21 right before the interview, they can also get the visa. There is a special formula that calculates the child's "age" at the time of the interview that is published in the Child Status protection Act. Read up on that.

I'm updating an info for a friend that recently got DV2007, maybe useful for everyone else... but also I need some help at the end...

DV2007 updates - the winner is from Indonesia, using Consular Processing in US Embassy Jakarta:

NL received May 16, 2006.
Filled forms and everything returned November 2006 (received December 2006).
Received interview confirmation April 2007.
Interview early May 8, 2007.
Received passport + yellow envelope May 11, 2007.

the details what was returned:
-a yellow envelope, the embassy lady said not to open it. It contains xray health film, all the information about him. a sheet of paper stapled to the envelope contains his personal information written this is not a visa but visa is inside the envelope.
-passport and it has a sticker just like regular visa (or a card) with his picture that has validity May 8, 2007 to November 7, 2007. Underneath it, it stated, upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year.

Now, the questions:
a. the september 30 is last day of current fiscal year for immigrant visa issuance, but once you got the immigrant visa then you are good until the date of validity of the imigrant visa (Nov 7 in this case) to enter the US.
b. he needs to get into the US before November 7, 2007, correct?
c. is this mean - an immigrant visa has be allocated to him? as long as he arrives in the US before November 7, 2007 then when he arrives at POE than his I-551 is validated.
d. would it be possible that when he arrives in POE, they tell him that he is over the 55K quota limits for GC?

thanks to cateyes...

I'm updating an info for a friend that recently got DV2007, maybe useful for everyone else... but also I need some help at the end...

DV2007 updates - the winner is from Indonesia, using Consular Processing in US Embassy Jakarta:

Hi, could you advise what is you case number ?. Just put xxx for the last 3 digits. Thank you.

Answera

the details what was returned:
-a yellow envelope, the embassy lady said not to open it. It contains xray health film, all the information about him. a sheet of paper stapled to the envelope contains his personal information written this is not a visa but visa is inside the envelope.
-passport and it has a sticker just like regular visa (or a card) with his picture that has validity May 8, 2007 to November 7, 2007. Underneath it, it stated, upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year.

Now, the questions:
a. the september 30 is last day of current fiscal year for immigrant visa issuance, but once you got the immigrant visa then you are good until the date of validity of the imigrant visa (Nov 7 in this case) to enter the US.
b. he needs to get into the US before November 7, 2007, correct?
c. is this mean - an immigrant visa has be allocated to him? as long as he arrives in the US before November 7, 2007 then when he arrives at POE than his I-551 is validated.
d. would it be possible that when he arrives in POE, they tell him that he is over the 55K quota limits for GC?

thanks to cateyes...

Q[a]= Yes
Q= Yes
Q[c]= Yes
Q[d]= No. No way!! Absolutely not!! He already got his visa from the embassy.

Congratulations to your friend. Let him relax and enjoy his new status.

Dear Catseyes,

Regards . I am from Bangladesh and very new in the forum though I have been immensely benefitted reading your mails since I won DV. I had my interview on 23 May 07 in Dhaka Embassy. Every papers were ok and the consular officer said 'you will get the visa but we need to have more information about you' I went along with my wife and two children for the interview. I was a military officer and took voluntary retirement last year. I was member of UN force also . They had sworn me and my family in and gave me a questionnaire for additional processing. I had given all the information on 24 May 07 to Embassy and now waiting for their call. I am unable to concentrate to my new job in situation like this. Please suggest me what to do next. Yours sincerely, Mamunsuny

Form DS-230 Part 1

Hi

I am a winner of DV 2008. I need to know that is it compulsory to fill # 10 and # 11 of Form DS - 230 Part 1? These are related to one's to be permanent address in United States.