Dv problem

ahhh one more thing,I got a real gc (plastic)on 03 because the original one was never send to me before or it was lost or whatever,that was actually a year after the incident and while I was still on probation.
another lawyer told me that since I was not fp mostly they will never know,mmmmm that I doubt.

ahhh one more thing,I got a real gc (plastic)on 03 because the original one was never send to me before or it was lost or whatever,that was actually a year after the incident and while I was still on probation.
another lawyer told me that since I was not fp mostly they will never know,mmmmm that I doubt.

It might not come up during FBI FP check (and GC renewal) , but it would come up on N-400 application as a question. What is the current expiry date on your GC?

can I vacate a plea even after it was expunged????? I do not remember nobody telling me on court about immigrations issues ,,mmmmm this is mind breaking.

If you have been convicted of a crime that makes you eligible for deportation since you received your last green card, USCIS might order you to appear at a deportation hearing.[/I]

Even if conviction was before receiving last green card, it still counts.

can I vacate a plea even after it was expunged????? I do not remember nobody telling me on court about immigrations issues ,,mmmmm this is mind breaking.

This legal reference states that a misdemeanor is not a crime of violence, and for a DV conviction to be deportable it must be both a crime of violence and must have been against someone with a defined domestic relationship.

So since your charge was a misdemeanor DV, it implies it is not a deportable offense, unless USCIS can show that force or the threat of force was used in order to define it as a crime of violence.

http://www.ilrc.org/resources/DV_article_Brady_1.07.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
This legal reference states that a misdemeanor is not a crime of violence, and for a DV conviction to be deportable it must be both a crime of violence and must have been against someone with a defined domestic relationship.

So since your charge was a misdemeanor DV, it implies it is not a deportable offense.

[/URL]

Then what is the point of adding DV as deportable offense anyway in 1996?

If only felony DV is deportable, then there was no point to add DV as
a deportable offense separately because a felony offense is already deportable.

Most deportable crimes are measured fro deportability for duration of actual sentence or potential sentence. But certain crimes
are not deportable without duration of sentence as a condition. They include controlled substance, firearm offense and domestic violence
offenses

Then what is the point of adding DV as deportable offense anyway in 1996?

If only felony DV is deportable, then there was no point to add DV as
a deportable offense separately because a felony offense is already deportable.

The point of adding DV as deportable offense is that it involves violence. In some cases, even a misdemeanor DV can be considered deportable if there is enough evidence to show that force or the threat of force was used.

The point of adding DV as deportable offense is that it involves violence. In some cases, even a misdemeanor DV can be considered deportable if there is enough evidence to show that force or the threat of force was used.

Is there any domestic violence (DV) that does not involved violence? SHould it be renamed to DNV (domestic nonviolence)?

Is there any domestic violence (DV) that does not involved violence? SHould it be renamed to DNV (domestic nonviolence)?

"Crime of violence" for immigration purposes and Domestic Violence for legal purposes have different meanings. From a deportation standpoint, a DV has to involve force or threat of force, whereas from a legal standpoint it does not.

"Crime of violence" for immigration purposes and Domestic Violence for legal purposes have different meanings. From a deportation standpoint, a DV has to involve force or threat of force, whereas from a legal standpoint it does not.

violence is defined by as defined in section 16 of title 18, United States Code.

But I don't think it is totally related to whether it is misdemanor or not.

You sure about that?

USCIS will take your fingerprints and photograph after the application is submitted, and a background check of your criminal history will be conducted. If you have been convicted of a crime that makes you eligible for deportation since you received your last green card, USCIS might order you to appear at a deportation hearing.

http://tribuneusa.com/?p=3670

And as we know, the definition of conviction for immigration purposes includes deportable offenses that were expunged.
I know, and I didn't say that the checks during renewal would fail to find the offense. What happens is that they're not going to see the various related files and paper-based information that the FBI would see during a name check (and even with the name check they sometimes can't see the details, that's why they ask for court records). And without those details, it is tough or impossible for them to know if a specific occurrence of a DV misdemeanor is deportable or not (unlike an obvious deportable felony like murder or rape). But they will surely take the time to get the details and figure it out during naturalization.

I am not saying that GC renewal will not result in removal proceedings; I am saying that renewal is less likely to bring that result than naturalization.

violence is defined by as defined in section 16 of title 18, United States Code.

But I don't think it is totally related to whether it is misdemanor or not.

Crime of violence is defined 18 USC sec 16, not violence in itself. Again, a DV is not automatically a crime of violence, although it has the word "violence" in it.

Toneto,

If the court (especially the judge) didn't mention about your chances of deportation during your hearing and you didn't sign any document which clearly stated the same, then you have a very high chance of getting the case vacated.

Get a copy of the video recording from the court and check it out yourself, if you were advised by the trial judge about the possibility of deportation when you entered the plea.

Good Luck.

To be honest I do remember signing a yellow paper,(plea)? but I even asked my lawyer about immigration problems in the future and she said most likely no since it was a misdemeanor but I do not recall anything of that nayure coming from the judge,,I will research that.

To be honest I do remember signing a yellow paper,(plea)? but I even asked my lawyer about immigration problems in the future and she said most likely no since it was a misdemeanor but I do not recall anything of that nayure coming from the judge,,I will research that.

Was you lawyer an immigration lawyer specialized in criminal law, or just a regular criminal lawyer?

I believe that all papers that you signed should be possible to retrieve from court. Just go to your court and ask for all papers/docs for your case number.

I have no clue what to say, in my State the DV laws are not well written and ICE doesn't like to use a DV charge, unless there was great harm done or a weapon used. I might wait until your record was clean for full 7 years for your GMC, then if there is a problem, you can see about getting a waiver. I hate to say it, you might have to bite the bullet and pay for a lawyer opinion, you really don't need them to file a N-400, it is a waste of money. If your card is still valid, I would wait until 2010 to apply. You might try reading the N-400 application and seeing if there will be any problem area to worry about.

The immigration warning isn't required, most people are deported for misdemeanors not felonys.