• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery 2017 - Questions

Hm, someone on my home forum pointed to a post from there on 20 Sept last year that already linked to the DV2016 instructions, so they were up earlier than the link above. And although the instructions themselves don't have the dates, the text of the post did so it must have been announced already.

Hmmm interesting...

Hello! :) I would like to ask a question and hope no one minds me posting it here because I don't know where else to post this.
I would absolutely love to apply to the DV Lottery this year but I need some help first. The biggest issue is basically my education. I went to an A-level school in Austria for 13 years (which is a higher education than a high school) but didn't graduate from there:mad: I kind of dropped out and got a GED (which I know is not enough for the lottery). BUT I am currently enrolled in University in Canada as a full time student working towards my bachelor in economics. So actually I did the 12 years of school that they request, then a GED and am now I'm in University... So could I choose "some university courses"? I would rather choose this one because it sounds way better and I think it might be better because if I would win they would first see the University and then the GED and the rest. Would it work or should I wait until I finsih university (which is going to take a while)?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hello! :) I would like to ask a question and hope no one minds me posting it here because I don't know where else to post this.
I would absolutely love to apply to the DV Lottery this year but I need some help first. The biggest issue is basically my education. I went to an A-level school in Austria for 13 years (which is a higher education than a high school) but didn't graduate from there:mad: I kind of dropped out and got a GED (which I know is not enough for the lottery). BUT I am currently enrolled in University in Canada as a full time student working towards my bachelor in economics. So actually I did the 12 years of school that they request, then a GED and am now I'm in University... So could I choose "some university courses"? I would rather choose this one because it sounds way better and I think it might be better because if I would win they would first see the University and then the GED and the rest. Would it work or should I wait until I finsih university (which is going to take a while)?

Thanks in advance! :)

It really doesn't matter what you put at this stage. The educational qualification isn't part of the initial selection process. Get selected first, then worry about the educational aspect after that.

It really doesn't matter what you put at this stage. The educational qualification isn't part of the initial selection process. Get selected first, then worry about the educational aspect after that.
Okay great thanks!! Do you happen to know if my education could cause me trouble?

Okay great thanks!! Do you happen to know if my education could cause me trouble?

As it currently stands, yes it will because you didn't successfully complete school (the requirement - it is not just attending school for 12 years) and a GED is not accepted. However as they have just changed the rules to "at least ..." high school, if you have finished your university degree by the time of interview you could argue that you qualify.

As it currently stands, yes it will because you didn't successfully complete school (the requirement - it is not just attending school for 12 years) and a GED is not accepted. However as they have just changed the rules to "at least ..." high school, if you have finished your university degree by the time of interview you could argue that you qualify.
Shit! Okay so I guess I have to wait 2-3 years and apply before I graduate. Well thanks anyways!

Shit! Okay so I guess I have to wait 2-3 years and apply before I graduate. Well thanks anyways!

Don't forget that if you apply now and get selected you would be able to delay your interview until September 2017. So - could you have passed anything by then?

Don't forget that if you apply now and get selected you would be able to delay your interview until September 2017. So - could you have passed anything by then?

Depending on a lot of different factors I would either be in my second semester of my third year or my first semester of my fourth year. So no. But also I'm planning on finishing my studies in the states so I think it's not a good idea to apply right now..

@violetion I was just thinking the same thing!! Have been checking the DV lottery website every day hoping they will.announce dates soon. I thought they were up by this time last year as well. Second time applying for me, how about you?

@angelusj hopefully third time lucky for you!! Where are in the world are you from?

I'm from Malaysia, will fall into the Asia category. Odds are only 1% to win the lottery and so I'll not put such high hopes on it :)

On another note, just went to the US embassy on Monday for tourist visa application. It has been approved today! Here I come San Fran, for a short 1 week break

Hi all :) new to the forums from Western Australia

Will be second time applying, last time j did was the DV2014. It has been a while between now and then as in that time I meet, fell in love and got engaged with an American citizen and was going to go through the spousal visa process. The relationship ended after a few years (long story) so took a break. I still haven't forgotten about the USA and miss it quite badly so hoping to try my luck with the 2017 DV lottery. I'm realistic but trying to remain positive at the same time. Good luck to all!:)

Hi and welcome! I am now in WA (Melb girl via California a few times). This is a great place to chill and learn so much!

Q

Hi everyone, I'm Shekina and I am new to this forum. I have a few questions, hopefully someone can help me.
1. I am from Fiji, born here... am I eligible? If so, what are my chances of getting selected for the dv 2017?
2. someone mentioned above that the dv will be over in 3 years. is that true?
3. Am I able to take my mum with me, if I get selected?
4. Where is the best place to live in America?
5. Do I need a sponsor for DV?
Thank you for being helpful in advance.

Fiji is part of Oceania and I believe it's eligible

You will only need a sponsor if you don't meet the minimum requirements which I think is $10,000usd?

Those more knowledgeable could elaborate and correct me if needed :)

You're welcome :) as for best place to live that is entirely dependent on the individual. Job opportunities, real estate prices etc vary from city to city

Hi everyone, I'm Shekina and I am new to this forum. I have a few questions, hopefully someone can help me.
1. I am from Fiji, born here... am I eligible? If so, what are my chances of getting selected for the dv 2017?
2. someone mentioned above that the dv will be over in 3 years. is that true?
3. Am I able to take my mum with me, if I get selected?
4. Where is the best place to live in America?
5. Do I need a sponsor for DV?
Thank you for being helpful in advance.

1. Yes
2. Yet to be confirmed
3. No, if selected your mum cannot benefit from your selection. However, you may be able to sponsor her later on when you get your GC
4. Depends on individual needs and preference
5. Only if you're unable to you'll have enough funds to support yourself.

1. Yes
2. Yet to be confirmed
3. No, if selected your mum cannot benefit from your selection. However, you may be able to sponsor her later on when you get your GC
4. Depends on individual needs and preference
5. Only if you're unable to you'll have enough funds to support yourself.

Thank you Sm1smom for your reply. I want to study some more but not sure what in. I want to go where there is plenty of work so I can study and work to help out my mum.- where rent and food is reasonable. Just one more query. what are my chances of winning this lottery if I apply from Fiji? I completed my 12 years of education with good grades, is that acceptable? Thank you once again.