• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery 2017 - Questions

JJkan

Is there gonna be a lottery this year for 2017? I didn't find any information about this years' lottery online.

Hi Guys,

I read somewhere that certain countries are excluded from the DV lottery? I'm from the UK which was on several lists I found - do you know if this is true?
If so, I also read that you can apply via your parents nationality. I also hold an Australian passport (but born in the UK).

Any advice would be welcome :)

Hi Guys,

I read somewhere that certain countries are excluded from the DV lottery? I'm from the UK which was on several lists I found - do you know if this is true?
If so, I also read that you can apply via your parents nationality. I also hold an Australian passport (but born in the UK).

Yes, UK is not eligible for the DV program. The passport or citizenship of other countries is irrelevant, eligibility is based on country of birth. However, there are a couple of exceptions known as cross chargeability which people born in non eligible countries can benefit from - these include charging to parents or a spouse's country of birth. But one needs to have a good understanding of what this involves in order to successfully use this if selected.

Please go through the following Selective Cross Chargeability Thread for a better understanding:

http://forums.immigration.com/threa...arified-in-rulebook-and-other-changes.328381/

Hi Guys,

If your parents were only temporarily in the UK at the time of your birth and you can prove that, as per mom's link above, or you have a spouse from an eligible country you can apply.

If your parents were only temporarily in the UK at the time of your birth and you can prove that, as per mom's link above, or you have a spouse from an eligible country you can apply.
My mum was born and raised in Australia, but living in the UK on a permanent basis when I was born. Although she has never given up her Australian citizenship/residency - she doesn't have a UK passport either.

My mum was born and raised in Australia, but living in the UK on a permanent basis when I was born. Although she has never given up her Australian citizenship/residency - she doesn't have a UK passport either.

Then unless you have a qualifying spouse you're not eligible, unfortunately.

As mom said before but you may have missed it because you mentioned it again as though it may be important - passport/nationality/residence/citizenship whatever is irrelevant. What matters is where you, or whoever you are deriving chargeability from, were born.

I have a question, guys. The immigration crisis happening now in Europe and US offering to accept some of the refugees as well, is it gonna affect DV2017 somehow, or the number of Visas offered will be the same and they just might to adjust visas offered to certain countries, possibly disqualify some countries?

I have a question, guys. The immigration crisis happening now in Europe and US offering to accept some of the refugees as well, is it gonna affect DV2017 somehow, or the number of Visas offered will be the same and they just might to adjust visas offered to certain countries, possibly disqualify some countries?

Countries can only be disqualified from entry if they have sent more than 50k normal preference (non DV, non refugee) immigrants over the previous 5 years. Any other shift in allocation has to come from a new law being made, they can't just 'decide' to shift allocation because country allocation is determined according to a formula specified in the law governing DV.

Thanks SusieQQQ...
I have a question which doesn't really belong here, but I posted it in the respective forum and nobody answered, hope it won't cause any problem if I ask here.

Hi, since I find this forum very helpful with DV Lottery I've decided to ask this question here.
Me and my partner would like to immigrate to the US. Now, as my partner is a teacher, we can
get J-1 visa for him and J-2 visa for me for 3years if I' correct. and let's say during this 3years in the States
can we somehow legally immigrate to the US except winning the Green Card Lottery? We are married.

Thanks for any help or suggestion.

Thank you guys...

I doubt anyone here can really help you on that. I suggest you look at the USCIS page on the various legal ways to immigrate.

I do know you need to be careful with J visas because some of them require you to return home for two years after they are completed - so you cannot adjust status from those ones.

I wonder when the dates for DV2017 will be announced? I swear it was up on the website by this time last year.

@violetion I was just thinking the same thing!! Have been checking the DV lottery website every day hoping they will.announce dates soon. I thought they were up by this time last year as well. Second time applying for me, how about you?

@angelusj hopefully third time lucky for you!! Where are in the world are you from?

I was just thinking the same thing!! Have been checking the DV lottery website every day hoping they will.announce dates soon. I thought they were up by this time last year as well. Second time applying for me, how about you?

I was third time lucky and selected for DV2016 fortunately. But best of luck to you and everyone entering this year. :)

Ah, cheers for that - I guess everyone can expect an announcement soon then!

Oh good to know, I've been checking the DV website every day too! Gonna be my first time entering; fingers crossed and all. Good luck everyone :)

Hi all :) new to the forums from Western Australia

Will be second time applying, last time j did was the DV2014. It has been a while between now and then as in that time I meet, fell in love and got engaged with an American citizen and was going to go through the spousal visa process. The relationship ended after a few years (long story) so took a break. I still haven't forgotten about the USA and miss it quite badly so hoping to try my luck with the 2017 DV lottery. I'm realistic but trying to remain positive at the same time. Good luck to all!:)